After iAd's death, Apple will move Apple News ad sales to NBCUniversal -- report

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple is shunting responsibility for the ads seen on Apple News to NBCUniversal's ad sales department, and is keeping all other details of the now defunct iAd service intact for content producers, according to a recent report.

According to Re/Code, NBCUniversal sales head Linda Yaccarino has sent a letter to her staff alerting them to the deal, and annoucing the creation of a sales group for advertisement sales on Apple News.

Publishers can still sell their own advertisements, and will retain 100% of the revenue generated from those ads. Reportedly, ads sold by NBCUniversal will be split with the same 70% of generated revenue going to the content producer, and 30% to NBCUniversal.

Rumors started circulating right after Apple announced the closure of the service that a third party might take over the sales for the program. The shift will allegedly happen in January.

Apple has refused comment on the report.

Apple's iAd program was announced in June of 2010, and launched on July 1, 2010 for the iPhone, and and iPad-specific version launched with iOS 4.2.1 in November 2010. After a few years of dropping the minimum amount of advertising from $500,000 to $50 required to utilize the service, Apple discontinued the program on June 30, 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    How does any of this make sense?

Why does Apple continue to throw free ad money away? There has to be a contractor something where NBC Universal pays Apple for the free money(if plausible rumor is true). 

Apple isn't fighting strong enough in this market. I want them to absolutely destroy Google or take at least half of the ad market.

If they could fix Apple News that would be a start.
    badmonk
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Probably good for devs but I hate the idea of Comcast anything...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    cali said:

Why does Apple continue to throw free ad money away? There has to be a contractor something where NBC Universal pays Apple for the free money(if plausible rumor is true). 

Apple isn't fighting strong enough in this market. I want them to absolutely destroy Google or take at least half of the ad market.

I don't get why people want Apple to be in the ad business. Their views on privacy don't mesh wit advertising so they'd never be successful at it. Why does Google need to be crushed and isn't Facebook doing it anyway?
    mike1GeorgeBMacbadmonk
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cali said:

I don't get why people want Apple to be in the ad business. Their views on privacy don't mesh wit advertising so they'd never be successful at it. Why does Google need to be crushed and isn't Facebook doing it anyway?
     They could do ads and be successful. It's not impossible. As a matter fact Siri could blow away anything the spyware competition is doing. 

Google must be destroyed for the same reason Samsung should be destroyed. Don't pretend like it's a good company with any morals.
    watto_cobrabadmonklolliver
  • Reply 5 of 12
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    cali said:

Articles read through Apple News display the same kind of frustrating and intrusive advertising as seen on most news sites these days. I wish Apple would create a subscription based version that strips out all advertising leaving only news and editorials. Who'd have thunk reading 'real news' would have become such a chore? Has anyone tried RT? Any views on this? 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Ew, Comcast? Really Apple? 
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Ew, Comcast? Really Apple? 
    Could be things going on behind the scenes which haven't been divulged yet.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    paxman said:
    cali said:

Articles read through Apple News display the same kind of frustrating and intrusive advertising as seen on most news sites these days. I wish Apple would create a subscription based version that strips out all advertising leaving only news and editorials. Who'd have thunk reading 'real news' would have become such a chore? Has anyone tried RT? Any views on this? 
    I thought it was supposed be a hassle free way to browse through articles which would be pleasing. What kills it for me is the "continue reading" at the end of every article only to be slammed with ads by Google and others etc. If it leads you to websites what's the point?

I would gladly accept half the ads if it means keeping me in the app. Otherwise how is it different from Yahoo news search or Google news search etc?
    edited November 2016 tokyojimu
  • Reply 9 of 12
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    paxman said:
    cali said:

Those who subscribe to printed newspapers and magazines still have to deal with ads. An ad-free subscription newspaper has never been a business model.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    mike1 said:
    paxman said:
    cali said:

Those who subscribe to printed newspapers and magazines still have to deal with ads. An ad-free subscription newspaper has never been a business model.
    True. But like cali says, as soon as you hit 'continue reading' you are launched into advertising click-bait hell. So I'd gladly pay a subscription and be able to read the entire article in-app with a managed advertising experience. If that is not possible the app is useless to me. I might as well hit a few news sites an read in 'reader view' in Safari.
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 12
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    cali said:

I wish Apple could do Ads too. Huge Revenue stream. BUT!, When you think about it, Apple is a product company with Laser focus. ( Or used to be ). It is just no part of their DNA to handle this. 

Similar to working with Foxconn or TSMC, Apple is actually very good at this NOT doing it themselves. There Are a Thousand No's for Every Yes
    edited November 2016 spliff monkey
  • Reply 12 of 12
    So, now that they're not selling ads any more, can I PLEASE use adblockers on apps?

I hate ads, I never want to see them.  Seeing an ad pretty much guarantees I'm going to do my best to never buy your product.  If I'm interested in buying something, I'll go look for it.