Netflix soon to be added to video options for Comcast X1 customers

Posted:
in General Discussion
Movie streaming service Netflix will be available to Comcast subscribers with an X1 set-top box as soon as November 10, but won't be exempt from the 1TB data cap recently levied against a good portion of Comcast's internet customers.

Users of both services will be able to "seamlessly?move between the Netflix app and their cable service" without changing inputs, according to a joint statement issued by both companies. Additionally, Comcast's voice search will work with Netflix, and streaming videos from Netflix will be displayed in conjunction with Comcast on-demand video offerings.

However, in the deal's frequently asked questions list, Comcast says that the Netflix videos are being streamed across the Internet, and are "subject to Xfinity?Internet data usage policies."

Comcast data caps exist most of the company's serviced areas with little competition from Verizon or Google Fiber. Customers are allowed to exceed the cap in two months in a rolling year without additional fines.

HD video from Netflix will consume approximately 3 GB per hour of use. Comcast claims that its caps, assuming no other use of the Internet, will allow users to stream HD video for 10 hours a day without hitting the limit.

Comcast customers will not get a discount or any promotional rate on Netflix, nor vice-versa.

A firm launch date is not yet known. No terms of the deal have been announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Already available in SF, CA. Nicely implemented. Reduces the (admittedly small) friction to change between live/DVR and Netflix. I find myself watching it more already.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Yep, streamed all of the Stranger Things episodes over Halloween weekend, so it's been available for at least a week.  Was pleasantly surprised to see it pop up as an available option right through X1.  It was running a bit slow, at least in making the connection, but the video performance was great.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    csthomas06csthomas06 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    If you have a 4k netflix plan, will 4k titles show up in the X1 searches?

EDIT: you cannot
    https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/netflix-4k-on-x1

edited November 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
     Now I wish Apple would buy Netflix after hearing that they won't participate in the TV app :(
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Doesn't Netflix put their own servers into Comcast and others own Networks to speed up streaming, so it's really not going over the Internet? Still this whole 1TB CAP is B.S. nothing at all to do with Fairness and everything to do with trying to keep themselves from becoming a dumb pipe. 1TB really isn't that much. I've been over it a few times in a house with 2 people. It's all about getting money from you one way or another. If you're going to get your TV shows from someone else by streaming it from HULU or SlingTV or whoever, we're going to get a cut of the action as you go over your 1TB CAP. The faster speed you have, the faster you'll hit that CAP. The more people in your family watching Netflix and Hulu and playing Online gaming, etc the faster you'll hit that 1TB Cap. So now they're making people pay another $50 to get what they already had for years!!! What a joke.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cali said:
     Now I wish Apple would buy Netflix after hearing that they won't participate in the TV app
    What?  Sorry I must have missed something, are you saying Netflix are pulling the Apple TV app?

Edit, I checked .. ... My bad,  you mean they won't be integrated into the new Apple App but Netflix stand alone app will still be there ... Phew!
    edited November 2016 calidoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 11
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "Comcast data caps exist most of the company's serviced areas with little competition from Verizon or Google Fiber. Customers are allowed to exceed the cap in two months in a rolling year without additional fines."

Is it just me that finds this extremely disturbing?  This should be considered gouging and be illegal.
    calidoozydozenlordjohnwhorfin
  • Reply 8 of 11
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    jbdragon said:
    Doesn't Netflix put their own servers into Comcast and others own Networks to speed up streaming, so it's really not going over the Internet? Still this whole 1TB CAP is B.S. nothing at all to do with Fairness and everything to do with trying to keep themselves from becoming a dumb pipe. 1TB really isn't that much. I've been over it a few times in a house with 2 people. It's all about getting money from you one way or another. If you're going to get your TV shows from someone else by streaming it from HULU or SlingTV or whoever, we're going to get a cut of the action as you go over your 1TB CAP. The faster speed you have, the faster you'll hit that CAP. The more people in your family watching Netflix and Hulu and playing Online gaming, etc the faster you'll hit that 1TB Cap. So now they're making people pay another $50 to get what they already had for years!!! What a joke.
    Yeah! And I should only have to pay as much to fill the gas tank on my Hummer as someone else pays to fill the tank on their Prius!
    doozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 11
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:
     Now I wish Apple would buy Netflix after hearing that they won't participate in the TV app
    What?  Sorry I must have missed something, are you saying Netflix are pulling the Apple TV app?

Edit, I checked .. ... My bad,  you mean they won't be integrated into the new Apple App but Netflix stand alone app will still be there ... Phew!
    Oh no I can see the headlines now twisting this. There's really no better way to word it either

it just seems Netflix could be better integrated into Apple devices. I know they're overpriced but in the long run it might be worth it.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 10 of 11
    "Soon"?  We've had it for weeks already...

Unless I'm missing something here?
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 11 of 11
    In other news, "Comcast adopts ATSC 3.0!"  :p

http://atsc.org

In still other news, pigs fly...