Apple CEO Tim Cook urges employees to 'move forward together' in memo on 2016 presidential election

Comments

• Reply 21 of 145
    ireland said:
    That those words need mentioning in a memo in 2016 says a lot about your next pres. War on coal? Seriously? Yeah just mere coincidence islands in Indonesia and even Miami are going under water.
    Cool story, bro.
    SpamSandwichdunestockpotatoleeksoupgtr
  • Reply 22 of 145
    redefiler said:
    Seriously?

When your boss has to tell you to stop arguing over team politics at work,
    that's a clear sign that your team politics are complete immature bullshit.

Obama was an inexperienced, petty, self-aggrandizing clown, now there's just a different one.
    Grow the fuck up, America.
    It's way too easy to rack up dislikes.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 23 of 145
    Paradroid said:
    apple ][ said:
    Let me take a wild guess that had Hillary Clinton won Tim Cook wouldn't have wrote this letter. 
    You make a good point.

And if Hillary had won there wouldn't have been any need for a letter to the staff because she didn't suggest that she had a problem with Mexicans, Muslims and various other minority groups.
    What does that have to do with Apple? Most large companies have diverse workforces. Do they all need to write letters to their employees because Trump was elected president? There's no point to this letter other than the fact it was leaked means the audience was more than just Apple employees. Note too that Cook didn't address anything related to Apple's business. I work for the biggest healthcare insurance company in the United States. If Obamacare is repealed and replaced with something else that would have a huge impact on my company. I can damn well guarantee you IF we get a letter from our CEO, that is what he will be addressing, not all this mushy diversity nonsense.
    tallest skilpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 24 of 145
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    redefiler said:
    Seriously?

Obama was an inexperienced, petty, self-aggrandizing clown, now there's just a different one.
    I think you might have a misperception or bias as to both the issue being addressed and Tim's objective in writing this letter.  

I suspect it requires a minimum threshold of empathy and emotional intelligence be exceeded to recognize either of those or even the point I am making here. 
    You didn't make a point! Beyond that Trump would have never been elected, especially by such a landslide, if it wasn't for the Democrats clearly demonstrating that the don't deserve to be in office. People need to realize that it wasn't just a case of Trump being elected but we now have a a fairly strong Republican presence in congress and the senate. If people really believed that the policies of the democrats where working for them this wouldn't be the case. The fact is the attitude of many corporate leaders, Cook included, have had a very negative impact on this country. In a nut shell this election wasn't about Trump winning so much as the public completely rejecting the policies of the current administration and their elitist attitudes to the people of this country. The last thing we needed as a country is more people in Washington speaking with a forked tongue.
    SpamSandwichdunestocktallest skilpotatoleeksoupindyfx
  • Reply 25 of 145
    spheric said:
    I didn't vote for Donald Trump but the country has survived much worse than him. 
    People are afraid Trump will launch nukes at the slightest provocation.  Yet, Hillary supported the war in Iraq and was gleeful when we toppled Gadaffi.  Obama was supposed to be an agent of peace, but we're still dropping bombs and killing innocent people all across the globe under his leadership.  My expectation for Trump is he will be refreshingly reticent to get our country tangled in military action.  Hilary was already crossing swords with the Kremlin on the campaign trail over Syria.

If we can stop the mass slaughter and incomprehensible fiscal expense of waging war like we have for decades, it just might let everyone in our country calm down enough so we can work together to build the America ALL of us want.
    We survived revolution, a civil war, two world wars, depression, civil rights, Vietnam etc. I think we can survive Trump. Liberals need to stop with the hyperbole and faux outrage.
    Amusing that you phrase it as civil rights having been "survived". It sure does seem like it, with Trump now in office. The era of civil rights can be considered over when a racist misogynist takes over the country, I guess.
    They've been murderers, rapist and slave owners who have become president before. Trump says a few things to his friend and now civil rights are threatened? Grow up you fucking child.
    edited November 2016 evilutionSpamSandwichtallest skilapple ][potatoleeksouppatchythepirateindyfxgtr
  • Reply 26 of 145

spheric said:
    The era of civil rights can be considered over when a racist misogynist takes over the country, I guess.
    Bill Clinton?

A blatant serial misogynist.  Also said he loved being called the first black president, that's racial appropriation, which is like totally racist, bro.  
    SpamSandwichdunestocktallest skilindyfx
  • Reply 27 of 145
    mobius said:
    Great memo Tim, now update the damn Mac Pros and Minis already!

Seriously though, I think it's a welcome and positive message at a time when many people feel much anxiety over the direction that the country will be heading. Apple and Trump seem at odds over so many issues. Let's hope Trump's more controversial proclamations do not turn into enacted policies that damages any of Apple's/Cook's principles.
    The problem is these so call principles need to be damaged. Apple for whatever reason thinks it is well above the law and doesn't need to be held to the same standards as the small fry out there. Their efforts at tax evasion being one of the more despicable practices. Apple can cloth itself in the cloak of inclusion but all that really does is distract people from their greater sins.

Cook can bull shit all he wants but frankly it is people like him that drove the population to elect Trump in the first place. Their attitude of screw the government and don't pay taxes, their attitude with respect to the production of hardware, their cozy relationship with a nation hostile to the USA, and their funding of leftist politics, only enrages the voting populace. It doesn't help much that they try to do social good (they have done some good deeds) and at the same time give America a big Fuck you. In the end you end up looking like a truly despicable corporation that tring to buy public favor!!!!!
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 28 of 145
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    mobius said:
    When the technology is available they will...now stop bitching about it. Unless you're going to actually buy them why do you care?
    edited November 2016 calipscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 145
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    wizard69 said:
    mobius said:

Seriously though, I think it's a welcome and positive message at a time when many people feel much anxiety over the direction that the country will be heading. Apple and Trump seem at odds over so many issues. Let's hope Trump's more controversial proclamations do not turn into enacted policies that damages any of Apple's/Cook's principles.
    The problem is these so call principles need to be damaged. Apple for whatever reason thinks it is well above the law and doesn't need to be held to the same standards as the small fry out there. Their efforts at tax evasion being one of the more despicable practices. Apple can cloth itself in the cloak of inclusion but all that really does is distract people from their greater sins.

Cook can bull shit all he wants but frankly it is people like him that drove the population to elect Trump in the first place. Their attitude of screw the government and don't pay taxes, their attitude with respect to the production of hardware, their cozy relationship with a nation hostile to the USA, and their funding of leftist politics, only enrages the voting populace. It doesn't help much that they try to do social good (they have done some good deeds) and at the same time give America a big Fuck you. In the end you end up looking like a truly despicable corporation that tring to buy public favor!!!!!
    So we elected someone who doesn't pay taxes...
    calianantksundarambaconstangargonaut
  • Reply 30 of 145
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    redefiler said:
    Seriously?

Your candidate won now go back to your "hate cave".
    singularitybaconstangration alargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 145
    Paradroid said:
    apple ][ said:
    Let me take a wild guess that had Hillary Clinton won Tim Cook wouldn't have wrote this letter. 
    You make a good point.

Its not a good point at all. Read the article - Trump has said some very strange stuff directly about Apple in the campaign. 

And if Hillary had won there wouldn't have been any need for a letter to the staff because she didn't suggest that she had a problem with Mexicans, Muslims and various other minority groups.

For those reasons, Tim felt the need to reassure his staff. 

Its going to be fascinating to see Trump attempt to deliver on his promises of reversing globalisation and bringing jobs back to America. I hope he does it, but I doubt it's even possible. Luckily I get to watch that one from the safety of another country. 
    It is certainly possible to bring back some of those jobs as it was politics that sent them to China in the first place. As for Mexicans (really all people south of the border) there are legal ways to enter the country. Right now illegals have an outwardly large negative impact on the economy especially with local governments that have to support people that have nothing to offer this country. Frankly I'd prefer that people crossing the border illegally simply be shot on site as it is a far more effective way to control the problem than a wall. That obviously would enrage the snowflakes, but a pile of bodies would end illegal immigration from the south rather quickly.

As for Muslims, the problem isn't the people per say, it is rather that gourds like ISIS and others have used the exodus as a way to infiltrate terrorists. This has been very effective in France and Germany and hard to deny. Frankly Muslims would be more welcomed in this country if they would publicly condemn terrorism and try to treat woman a bit better. History is full of religions being ostracized by the dominate religion of a region, sometimes these religions die out under pressure from the dominate. Beyond that Muslims practice a religion called Islam they aren't a minority group and neither are Mexicans for that matter.

Globalization isn't a problem per say. The problem is one of balanced treaties and fair play.
    edited November 2016 dunestockindyfx
  • Reply 32 of 145
    apple ][ said:

If we can stop the mass slaughter and incomprehensible fiscal expense of waging war like we have for decades, it just might let everyone in our country calm down enough so we can work together to build the America ALL of us want.
    Not so quick, we can't stop the mass slaughter just yet.

Remember, we need to wipe ISIS out completely and swiftly. That's a promise and a core issue, and I trust that it will be taken care of rapidly, after the man is in office.

So there is still some mass slaughter that we can look forward to and enjoy, and we'll see what happens after that, but one step at a time. :#
    You think that wiping out ISIS can be taken care of rapidly? How do you propose that will happen?

You don't seem like someone that thinks a lot about other people. You're going to enjoy the slaughter? You realise ISIS is in cities with civilians, women and children? Any rapid destruction of ISIS, even if necessary, will not be enjoyable, it'll be terrible.
    If you are not a native-English speaker, I congratulate you on your ability to read and write this well - I could not do the same in another language.  But  before commenting further I recommend you look into more subtle parts of the language related to "sarcasm" and "facetiousness".
  • Reply 33 of 145
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    macxpress said:
    mobius said:
    When the technology is available they will...now stop bitching about it. Unless you're going to actually buy them why do you care?
    I do intend to. Desperate to update my Mac Mini. And you're bitching at me to get me to stop bitching? I smells me some hypocrisy!
    baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 145
    wizard69 said:
    redefiler said:
    Seriously?

I think you might have a misperception or bias as to both the issue being addressed and Tim's objective in writing this letter.  

I suspect it requires a minimum threshold of empathy and emotional intelligence be exceeded to recognize either of those or even the point I am making here. 
    You didn't make a point! Beyond that Trump would have never been elected, especially by such a landslide, if it wasn't for the Democrats clearly demonstrating that the don't deserve to be in office. People need to realize that it wasn't just a case of Trump being elected but we now have a a fairly strong Republican presence in congress and the senate. If people really believed that the policies of the democrats where working for them this wouldn't be the case. The fact is the attitude of many corporate leaders, Cook included, have had a very negative impact on this country. In a nut shell this election wasn't about Trump winning so much as the public completely rejecting the policies of the current administration and their elitist attitudes to the people of this country. The last thing we needed as a country is more people in Washington speaking with a forked tongue.
    Interesting definition of "landslide".  The Electoral College score was 290 to 232, and Clinton won the popular vote.  In the Senate, Democrats picked up a seat.  

You have been conned by a con man who's business acumen is suspect, who doesn't pay taxes, has an almost bizarre obsession with Putin, and doesn't have any specific plans.  I saw an interesting tweet yesterday.  It asked what you will do in four years when Trump is unable to end globalism, and brown people still live here. 
    calisingularityspice-boybaconstangration alargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 145
    I didn't vote for Donald Trump but the country has survived much worse than him. 
    People are afraid Trump will launch nukes at the slightest provocation.  Yet, Hillary supported the war in Iraq and was gleeful when we toppled Gadaffi.  Obama was supposed to be an agent of peace, but we're still dropping bombs and killing innocent people all across the globe under his leadership.  My expectation for Trump is he will be refreshingly reticent to get our country tangled in military action.  Hilary was already crossing swords with the Kremlin on the campaign trail over Syria.

I happen to know a few people heavily involved in the military and I can attest to the fact that there was a real fear that if Hilary was elected we would end up in a war with Russia. You might think this is strange that people in the military would detest the idea of a war with Russia but the vast majority of the people enlisted in our services know just how brutal such a war would be. World War 3 isn't something to be taken lightly and Clinton was a big risk in that regard.

Now this doesn't mean that Trump can avoid a war with Russia or anybody else for that matter.   However a more mature attitude and at least demonstrating a willingness to negotiate is more acceptable than going directly to war.   We really don't know where Russia is going, hell we don't even know how long Putin will live, but it is pretty clear that a friendly relationship is better than a warring one.    If it can be had, I just have more faith that Trump won't do something completely stupid right out of the gate.

Besides the real threat to world peace isn't Russia it is Iran and in that regard i'm pretty confident that Trump would nuke the whole damn country without a thought when the time comes.
    tallest skilpotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 36 of 145
    apple ][ said:

Remember, we need to wipe ISIS out completely and swiftly. That's a promise and a core issue, and I trust that it will be taken care of rapidly, after the man is in office.

So there is still some mass slaughter that we can look forward to and enjoy, and we'll see what happens after that, but one step at a time.
    ISIS is a tiny problem the real issue is Iran and frankly that is a country that really deserves a mass slaughter.
    potatoleeksoup
  • Reply 37 of 145
    wizard69 said:
    mobius said:

You're absolutely wrong.  This is a semi-coherent screed against Apple, if you omit or are unfamiliar with any actual context and information regarding how international business earnings and taxation laws work.  

This always sounds like blaming the devil for when the power goes out.  Clearly you have no idea how electricity works, and have replaced a very specifc procedures with superstition and mythology.   I blame the political sound bites you injest for this nonsense, and then you too.  

caliration al
  • Reply 38 of 145
    apple ][ said:

So there is still some mass slaughter that we can look forward to and enjoy, and we'll see what happens after that, but one step at a time.
    You think that wiping out ISIS can be taken care of rapidly? How do you propose that will happen?

You don't seem like someone that thinks a lot about other people. You're going to enjoy the slaughter? You realise ISIS is in cities with civilians, women and children? Any rapid destruction of ISIS, even if necessary, will not be enjoyable, it'll be terrible.
    You wouldn't have ISIS without woman and children! That will upset a few snowflakes out there but the truth of the matter is that you either take one side or the other there is not middle ground in war. This especially when the problem is very much the so called civilian population.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 39 of 145
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wizard69 said:

Besides the real threat to world peace isn't Russia it is Iran and in that regard i'm pretty confident that Trump would nuke the whole damn country without a thought when the time comes.
    That is his main problem. He acts and speaks spontaneously without thinking. I agree with some of his proposals, in theory, but the execution of the details can be very complicated and he doesn't seem to realize that.
    edited November 2016 calibaconstang
  • Reply 40 of 145
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    "It's a done deal."
    Yes we all understand that. 

"Many of the whiners are probably the same losers that didn't even bother to get off of their fat, lazy, ignorant butts and actually vote. I voted, even though I live in a state where I knew that my vote wouldn't really matter, but I did it nonetheless, because I felt that it was important, if only to myself."

Calling people you don't know names, labeling those you don't agree with, where have I heard this before.......

"Certain weak people let emotions take control, while they should be utilizing and relying on their brains instead. More thought, less emotions, what a radical idea."

Emotions are part of being human, I saw lots of emotions during the campaign on both sides, what is your point?

"And no, the world is not going to end, and no, this isn't worse than 9/11, for all of the special snowflakes (mentally impaired beta people and weaklings) out there. Anybody in need of a safe space should get their wish, a fully padded rubber room, where they will no doubt be very safe"

Again with the insults, By the way I live in Manhattan and experienced 9/11 from my home in plan view of the towers. The burning toxic rubble sent a gritty fog over my neighborhood from time to time. There was a felling of uncertainty, where do we go from here. The morning after this election I had a sick feeling in my gut, what's next? Did that really happen? Watching Trump's egg on certain people on the group which made references to lynching, Nazi salutes, and just old fashion hate speech made a lot of people question if this was just to get votes or did the candidate really share those beliefs. I seriously doubt he does, DT has been making headlines in New York for 35 years and none of them were for those ideas. 

Okay you have a right to your opinion but you can't just say "Back to what really matters, when's the new iPad Pro coming out?" as if the election was not really important, throw insults at the majority of voters that voted for the Dem like it was some trivial like a little league championship game. Presidential elections are a big deal in a democracy and although I was not please by the outcome of this one I am encouraged that a record amount of Americans came out and participated in this personal right, obligation and important function of a Democracy. 
    calianantksundaramEloybaconstangargonaut