Dual-lens cameras expected on both Apple's OLED and 5.5" LCD 2017 iPhone models

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
With Apple apparently gearing up to launch three new iPhones next year, two-thirds of them will include dual-lens camera designs, though users who prefer the 4.7-inch form factor will reportedly be out of luck.

A concept render of an edge-to-edge iPhone display.
A concept render of an edge-to-edge iPhone display.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities issued a note to investors on Tuesday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, in which he forecast once again that Apple will launch three new iPhone models in 2017: A redesigned OLED version, and two featuring legacy TFT-LCD displays in the 4.7- and 5.5-inch sizes.

Like the current iPhone 7 Plus, the 5.5-inch model coming next year is expected to boast a dual-camera design, as is the OLED version. But according to Kuo, the 4.7-inch size will not gain dual lenses.

Kuo expects that between 65 and 75 percent of new iPhones shipped by Apple next fall will boast dual-camera displays. He predicts that the boost in share will be a boon for Apple supplier Largan, which provides lenses for Apple's dual-camera design.

Even before the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus were released, Kuo indicated in September that the two-camera system would remain exclusive to the Plus-sized lineup in 2017. But with the iPhone 7 Plus seeing strong sales so far, he expects more users will gravitate toward larger form factors next year, resulting in a higher share.

Next year, Apple is widely expected to introduce an all-new design featuring a glass back and OLED display for its flagship iPhone, celebrating the 10th anniversary of the revolutionary handset. However, it's expected that the so-called "iPhone 8" will be sold alongside models with traditional LCD displays, potentially earning them the "iPhone 7s" series moniker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    does this guy cover any other stocks...he issues notes daily on Apple
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    yeah right. two 5.5" models, but with different screen tech? not gonna happen. apple doesnt toss up differences like these expecting the customer to decide which is better. they instead decide which is better and present it to the customer. 

this dude may have access to supply chain leakers, but he has no idea how apple rolls. 
    edited November 2016 Metriacanthosaurusdoozydozenbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    yeah right. two 5.5" models, but with different screen tech? not gonna happen. apple doesnt toss up differences like these expecting the customer to decide which is better. they instead decide which is better and present it to the customer. 

this dude may have access to supply chain leakers, but he has no idea how apple rolls. 
    These rumors will keep morphing right up until the day of release by which time they will mostly be correct. In the meantime they will garner Apple countless millions of free advertising and tech-sites a gazillion clicks. The rumor business is a tricky one. It needs to be finely tuned to keep punters listening and coming back, alternately drooling over what is to come, dismissing the obviously outlandish and deriding their fellow punters for being moronic trolls. I have always been convinced that there is a marketing person at Apple that trawls the rumor sites and releases nuggets of information at key moments when the rumor mill goes askew. :)
    doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 19
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Appreciate you giving him his actual title of analyst and not some floury incarnation. And I agree with @nolamacguy I don't see two 5.5" versions with different screen tech happening. But what do I know. I didn't expect the non-Touch Bar MBP to be so costly. Or as Ars put it, "really expensive, even in the context of past MacBook Pros".
    edited November 2016 nolamacguydoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 19
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,293member

I definitely agree that it shouldn't happen. 

But these days a lot of things that shouldn't happen seem to go ahead and happen anyway.
    ireland
  • Reply 6 of 19
    sog35 said:
    I'll say it again:

Tim Cook should seriously send some muscle to Kuo's home and office. Hire 10 'security professionals' to have a nice 'chat' with Kuo.  Just so Kuo can feel Apple.

This is why this crap keeps happenning. Cause Tim Cook is too spineless to do anything.
    What are you talking about? Relax, dude, please.

Same Kuo that said thinner Retina MBP coming in 2014 and MagSafe adapter coming at this event. He's sometimes right and sometimes wrong. You suggest Tim Cook waste their time threatening this analyst? If there was ever a time where are you are being wrong-headed, surely it's now. Damn, I need to read this again: http://www.raptitude.com/2016/02/the-art-of-letting-others-be-right/
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 7 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    I would hope that whenever physically possible, that both screen sizes incorporate the same features/capabilities. I agree with another poster that Apple does not play the game of having a model at every price point and would be very surprised if Apple offered two 5.5" models differentiated only by the display type. I would be slightly less surprised if they offered the smaller model (4.7" or 5" if bezel-less) with LCD if OLED is offered on the larger model. We'll see in about 10 months.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    If apple offers 3(4.7, 5, 5,5 or 5, 5,5 5,8) iPhones than obviously smaller size has less physical space to accommodate dual camera module.and if apple go bezel-less than we may get surprised with sizes being offered and some differentiation like LCD vs OLED.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 9 of 19
    ireland said:

Off topic but interesting article--- IMO- if more comments here had the qualifier - "In my opinion"--- things would go a lot better. Otherwise... there should be facts to back up statements.

• Reply 10 of 19
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    I'll say it again:

Tim Cook should seriously send some muscle to Kuo's home and office. Hire 10 'security professionals' to have a nice 'chat' with Kuo.  Just so Kuo can feel Apple.

This is why this crap keeps happenning. Cause Tim Cook is too spineless to do anything.
    What are you talking about eh?

Same Kuo that said thinner Retina MBP coming in 2014 and MagSafe adapter coming at this event. He's sometimes right and sometimes wrong. You suggest Tim Cook waste their time threatening this analyst? I don't need to ask who you voted for—not that either one wasn't a wasted voted.
    i didn't vote. This has nothing to do with politics.
    Ok. I tried to delete that part of the comment earlier before you read it. I changed my mind about bringing political crap into the convo.
  • Reply 11 of 19

boeyc15 said:
    ireland said:

Off topic but interesting article--- IMO- if more comments here had the qualifier - "In my opinion"--- things would go a lot better. Otherwise... there should be facts to back up statements.

It is a good piece. I doubt "IMO" would change much. People would still be "right", we'd all still argue.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 12 of 19
    If I read this correctly, Kuo is saying:

iPhone Small: LCD screen, single lens camera
    iPhone Medium: OLED screen, dual lens camera
    iPhone Large: LCD screen, dual lens camera
  • Reply 13 of 19
    blastdoor said:

I definitely agree that it shouldn't happen. 

But these days a lot of things that shouldn't happen seem to go ahead and happen anyway.
    i disagree with that. some of you forgetting how expensive the Macbook Air was when it was originally released and now being upset about the cost of new tech in the new MBP, or complaining about apple dropping ports (deja vu), isn't the same as this nonsense. 
    edited November 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 19
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    I'll say it again:

Hire 10 guys to make a brief visit to Kuo's home would only cost Apple $10k.  
    I'd say guys on the Verge, Business Insider, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, and NYT all have to have some 'friendly' visits also.

This isn't playing dirty or illegal. This is called letting these liars know that they are being watched.

To run such a program would only cost a couple million a year. Well spent money.

Tim would just have to hire a 'security team' to do the work.
    And lawsuits will follow which at the end throw Cooks in prison. 
  • Reply 15 of 19

I agree, but what if he's right? Imagine this scenario: next year we get a refreshed iPhone 7s in both 4.7" and 5.5" with that same outgoing 7 series chassis design. The 2nd 5.5" iPhone would be the 10th anniversary aka SE with the rumored new chassis design. Seems possible, no?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Apple will launch three new iPhone models in 2017: A redesigned OLED version, and two featuring legacy TFT-LCD displays in the 4.7- and 5.5-inch sizes.

I can't believe they called them "legacy" displays after all of the recent arguing in these forums about the proper use of that word. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 19

I agree, but what if he's right? Imagine this scenario: next year we get a refreshed iPhone 7s in both 4.7" and 5.5" with that same outgoing 7 series chassis design. The 2nd 5.5" iPhone would be the 10th anniversary aka SE with the rumored new chassis design. Seems possible, no?
    That's pretty much the only way this rumor makes any sense. But assuming it's true, that would be a convoluted lineup. You'd have

iPhone SE
    iPhone 7 / 7 Plus
    iPhone 7S / 7S Plus
    iPhone 8 (5.5")
    doozydozen
  • Reply 18 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    I'll say it again:

What are you talking about? Relax, dude, please.

Same Kuo that said thinner Retina MBP coming in 2014 and MagSafe adapter coming at this event. He's sometimes right and sometimes wrong. You suggest Tim Cook waste their time threatening this analyst? If there was ever a time where are you are being wrong-headed, surely it's now. Damn, I need to read this again: http://www.raptitude.com/2016/02/the-art-of-letting-others-be-right/
    Who cares who he voted for? 

I agree that sending "security" to threaten someone is childish and something right out of a cheesy movie. All I am asking is that the election talk stop. It's tiring and inappropriate to this article and most on this site. 

Making judgements about bout a person because you think you know who they did or didn't vote for is just silly.