Apple Music nabs exclusive streaming rights to star-studded '808' documentary

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple has secured exclusive first access rights to "808," a documentary film chronicling the impact the Roland TR-808 programmable drum machine had, and continues to have despite its discontinuation 33 years ago, on the music making world.

The documentary, which premiered in 2014 and has since been screened at film festivals nationwide, will be available to stream for the first time through Apple Music on Dec. 9, Apple said. In announcing the upcoming release, Apple on Monday posted a trailer for "808" on its official Beats 1 YouTube channel.

As noted in the brief video promo, the TR-808 electronic rhythm composer jumpstarted a music revolution that continues to reverberate through a variety of genres to this day. From Afrika Bambaataa's "Planet Rock," to rap, R&B and electronica, the 808's drum and bass sounds influenced and inspired music producers for more than three decades.

Narrated by Beats 1 DJ Zane Lowe, "808" offers a wide-roving look back at the drum machine's origins and how it shaped modern musical tastes. Interviews include Afrika Bombaataa, Pharrell Williams, Rick Rubin, Phil Collins, Beastie Boys, Questlove, Lil' Jon, Diplo, Goldie, David Guetta, Richie Hawtin, Felix Da Housecat and more.

While not announced, "808" is expected to go up for sale through iTunes when it hits Apple Music next month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    As soon as I saw 808 I knew it would be about the Roland. I never used one but I lusted after one after buying a DR550. If a documentary like this interests you then you most certainly enjoy a wade through Ishkur's guide to electronic music. http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/ unfortunately it's in Flash but worth installing and uninstalling just to see it.
    edited November 2016 zroger73pscooter63forgot usernameRayz2016argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 17
    I found and enjoyed and learned a lot from Ishkur's many years ago. I've always enjoyed electronic music even though I'm not sure where the influence came from since I grew up on classic rock and country!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Haha.  I wonder if Apple will raid Sundance to snap up award-winning films.
    They've certainly got the cash to do it.
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 17
    zroger73 said:
    I found and enjoyed and learned a lot from Ishkur's many years ago. I've always enjoyed electronic music even though I'm not sure where the influence came from since I grew up on classic rock and country!
    Same for me, never interested me until I heard Aphex Twin - Window Licker however I have since become completely smitten by The Orb's more subtle and trippy electronica. Their most recent album Mirrorball, is astounding, subtle and brilliant . Unfortunately some of the best Orb remix stuff is not available on Apple Music, which is the type of thing that is wrong with Apple Music.
    zroger73mobiuscaliargonaut
  • Reply 5 of 17
    zroger73 said:
    Same for me, never interested me until I heard Aphex Twin - Window Licker however I have since become completely smitten by The Orb's more subtle and trippy electronica. Their most recent album Mirrorball, is astounding, subtle and brilliant . Unfortunately some of the best Orb remix stuff is not available on Apple Music, which is the type of thing that is wrong with Apple Music.
    Ah - The Orb! Sometime around 1998, PBS aired a special on electronic music that featured Fluffy Little Clouds. It was a mesmerizing documentary on electronic music - very well produced. I've never seen nor been able to find that documentary since then. I recorded it on an S-VHS VCR I had at the time, but that VCR and the tape are long gone.
    caliargonautanalogjack
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Ya gotta love that the trailer features a pre-sampling era direct lift (is that a nice term for ripoff?) of Kraftwerk, with no mention of them in it whatsoever.
    edited November 2016 forgot usernamepscooter63argonaut
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I was surprised to hear the 808 was discontinued 33 years ago. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Interesting. Roland recently snapped up Beats competitor V-MODA (who arguably has a much better product). I guess no hard feelings... 
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Info here -
  • Reply 10 of 17
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I've used an 808 numerous times in the past, the real machine, not a plug in, and it's a classic for sure, but I do prefer the 909 myself, if I had to choose between them. I guess it depends on what sort of music you prefer making.
    argonaut
  • Reply 11 of 17
    zroger73 said:

Ah - The Orb! Sometime around 1998, PBS aired a special on electronic music that featured Fluffy Little Clouds. It was a mesmerizing documentary on electronic music - very well produced. I've never seen nor been able to find that documentary since then. I recorded it on an S-VHS VCR I had at the time, but that VCR and the tape are long gone.
    One of the best gigs I've been to was an extremely last minute bunk off work and a trip to the Q Club in Birmingham because my mate had a spare ticket to see the Orb back in around 1997 just after Orblivion came out... 

I think the first time I really became aware of them was a very strange appearance on Top Of The Pops (a now defunct UK music show on the BBC) for Blue Room where they sat on stage and just played some weird form of 3D chess for a couple of minutes...

Update - just found the video of that Top Of The Pops appearance... https://vimeo.com/86875272
    edited November 2016 argonautanalogjack
  • Reply 12 of 17
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    This site is worth a read if you're into the history of electronic music instruments: http://120years.net

It stops around the time the 808 came out, but the foundations were already well established by that point.  I'm big into the history of electronic music and am always saddened by the very limited (and typically awful) exposure it gets in the pop music industry.  Aphex Twin was one of the few interesting artists in the genre to actually achieve some level of pop success.

Check out the fairly recent documentary on Raymond Scott for a small sample of the interesting history behind it: http://scottdoc.com/
    sphericanalogjack
  • Reply 13 of 17
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
     Apple Music is strangely becoming Apples Netflix. 

5150iii said:

Oh yeah all the classic machines have been discontinued for decades. People use samples of them and plug-ins now.

• Reply 14 of 17
    apple ][ said:
    I've used an 808 numerous times in the past, the real machine, not a plug in, and it's a classic for sure, but I do prefer the 909 myself, if I had to choose between them. I guess it depends on what sort of music you prefer making.
    Yeah, sound-wise, my first choice would be the 909 as well.  One member of the TR family which doesn't get as many accolades is the TR-707.  I got to play with for a while back then; it's such an underrated little box. 
    argonaut
  • Reply 15 of 17
    909 sounds much, much better... ;)
    argonaut
  • Reply 16 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    Mikeymike said:
    Ya gotta love that the trailer features a pre-sampling era direct lift (is that a nice term for ripoff?) of Kraftwerk, with no mention of them in it whatsoever.
    That's an Afrika Bambaata track from 1982 that features the sample from Trans-Europe Express. 

http://www.whosampled.com/Kraftwerk/Trans-Europe-Express/

Kraftwerk isn't expressly mentioned because a) the sample was cleared ages ago, and b) the Bambaata song is really well-known, c) this is a trailer, and credits aren't generally rolled until the end of an actual film, and d) the Bambaata song that's actually played IS mentioned. :)
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 17 of 17
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member

cali said:
     Apple Music is strangely becoming Apples Netflix. 

5150iii said:

Oh yeah all the classic machines have been discontinued for decades. People use samples of them and plug-ins now.

Not all of us. ;)