Colbert's 'Late Show' skewers cost, content of Apple's new design book

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Thursday night's episode of the Late Show with Stephen Colbert, the show aired a parody of Apple's design videos to make fun of the company's new coffeetable book, Designed by Apple in California.

The skit refers to the product as "the most advanced book" Apple has ever made -- the "Apple Book" -- with 450 pages of high-resolution images of devices "you probably already have in your basement," made using technology from 1440.

"We were able to take an experience that was instantly familiar and...charge $300 for it," according to the video's parody of Apple design head Jonathan Ive.

The segment also laughs at Apple's tendency to play up minor features with a reference to "touch page" technology, and ends with the quip that "you know it's the future because...no headphone jack."

The real book was released on Wednesday in $199 and $299 editions, differing only by their dimensions. Its photos document 20 years of design, from the original iMac through to the Apple Pencil. Ive himself actually appears in a video promoting the project.
baconstangspice-boy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 73
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Nobody saw this coming,right?
    holyonedysamoriacalibaconstangentropysSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 2 of 73
    What! No headphone jack?!! This is an outrage!
    GeorgeBMaccalimike1
  • Reply 3 of 73
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    IKEA did a much better parody, two years ago. Presenting bookbook:

>:x

edited November 2016 jasenj1neo-techboredumbzoetmbddawson100franklinjackconbaconstangentropysspice-boy
  • Reply 4 of 73
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Seriously? A $200/$300 book? WTAF. 
    duervoentropys
  • Reply 5 of 73
    This lad probably has not bought a textbook in recent years. 200 or 300 is not much at all for a 450 page book that has the potential to be a hot collector's item in 10 or 20 years. The book was intended for students in art/design schools anyway with the purpose of attracting future talents to apple. 
    caliSolismiffy31redraider11pscooter63baconstangmacguilolliver
  • Reply 6 of 73
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    People don't understand nor do they appreciate the art and design of a finely-crafted book.  This is not a run-of-the-mill, paperback on cheap paper and crap, generic blank ink.  This is work of art about works of art.  The paper is specially blended and handled, there are probably multiple inks and coating. 450 pages with a binding that will last and a specially designed cover that appears to be embossed... all of these things add up to the cost of a book.  It is not priced to be a pedestrian magazine, it's designed, built and priced to be a collector's item that will be timeless.

If you don't understand that, then you don't understand Apple.  They don't design things to be cheap and thrown away. They design things to last... to be functional works of art. This book is not only a testament to that, but the very embodiment of that underlying mantra.
    mike1caliSolismiffy31lmagooargonautpscooter63baconstangwetlandermacgui
  • Reply 7 of 73
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    That book is like a giant "kick me" sign on Apple's back. 

The fact that Apple put the sign there themselves means they deserve every kick they get. 
    buzdotsRoger_FingasboredumbThe_Martini_Catsirlance99bulldogrobduervoentropysdysamoriaspice-boy
  • Reply 8 of 73
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Most specialized Texbooks are $200+.
    Coffee table books are always quite expensive too.

Most people .talking about this have no clue and are not the target audience for this.
    They probably never bought a book over $30..

Man, Colbert's show is now a piece of shit.

mike1caliSolilmagootycho24pscooter63watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 9 of 73
    Why on earth did Apple make a Jony Ive video for this of all things ? Bad enough that they're showing every body how at ease and relaxed with no care in the world every body at Apple is, like, everything is coming up Apple, as an Apple fan I could more than appreciate something like that, but now Apple ? Really ? Didn't one person think " hey our reputation and image as the leading innovation and design company in the world is taking a hit lets postpone the book till after I don't know the iPhone 8 event after reminding everyone who runs shit just to rub it in the face of the competition" ? Watching the video I kept thinking he's talking about a book like its technology, if I wasn't a fan of these guys I find this so snobbishly pompous and comedic I'd laugh, this thing would have been so perfectly timed right after the iPhone 8 when Apple has re earned the right to boast, IMHO, but oh well
    blastdoorduervoentropys
  • Reply 10 of 73
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    LOL!!!!

....still, I wouldn't mind having one in my library. ;)

(for you millennials: library - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library)
    mike1Soliargonautboltsfan17baconstangjony0
  • Reply 11 of 73
    Oh look, Colbert is still trying to be relevant.

It's failing. 
    mike1tallest skilpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 73
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    blastdoor said:

The fact that Apple put the sign there themselves means they deserve every kick they get. 
    Why?

I for one do not understand the hate. Is it because people fear Apple becoming complacent? Having said that, what they've achieved is quite remarkable. If not for Apple, we'd still have to deal with mediocrity. Apple is the new Bauhaus. A book is a fitting tribute. Or dare I say closure? Here's to the next 20 years.

>:x
    neo-techmike1caliargonauttycho24pscooter63ai46baconstanglolliverspice-boy
  • Reply 13 of 73
    jkichline said:
    People don't understand nor do they appreciate the art and design of a finely-crafted book.  This is not a run-of-the-mill, paperback on cheap paper and crap, generic blank ink.  This is work of art about works of art.  The paper is specially blended and handled, there are probably multiple inks and coating. 450 pages with a binding that will last and a specially designed cover that appears to be embossed... all of these things add up to the cost of a book.  It is not priced to be a pedestrian magazine, it's designed, built and priced to be a collector's item that will be timeless.

If you don't understand that, then you don't understand Apple.  They don't design things to be cheap and thrown away. They design things to last... to be functional works of art. This book is not only a testament to that, but the very embodiment of that underlying mantra.
    I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or serious. 
    larryjwRoger_Fingasduervoentropyswaverboy
  • Reply 14 of 73
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,276member
    foggyhill said:
    Most specialized Texbooks are $200+.
    Coffee table books are always quite expensive too.

Most people .talking about this have no clue and are not the target audience for this.
    They probably never bought a book over $30..

Man, Colbert's show is now a piece of shit.

So... Apple is in the textbook business now? Or the coffee table book business? 

The Mac Pro is too niche to bother updating, but the opportunities in the coffee table book industry are worth pursuing? 

The issue here is that this book is a giant waste of time for any Apple employee with any meaningful responsibility for anything (like, for example, Jony Ive). It's vanity, it's navel gazing, it's a distraction. It's not something that a person focused on changing the world would do. It's something to do at the end of a career, or it's something to outsource. 

If this is how Ive wants to spend his time these days he should really just retire, or maybe become an advisor. Let someone else step into the role of lead designer. 
    Roger_Fingaswigginduervoentropysavon b7
  • Reply 15 of 73
    blastdoor said:

About the best thing that can be said about the book.  Sir Jony spent too much time on this book over th last 8 years
    duervoentropys
  • Reply 16 of 73
    I was honestly hoping that that would be a lot funnier than it was. The "fake product reveal" videos are so old and cliche that it was actually painful to watch. 

Back to the drawing board! The embarrassing thing is that even Apple is better at making fun of itself. Remember that one keynote where they had all of those skits that had every Apple fan in stitches? Or how they began WWDC 15. FAVORITE. 
    caliai46lolliver
  • Reply 17 of 73
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I think this is the one of the best Apple products to be released this year.

It's a reminder to everyone of who invented technology and a slap to the face to all the copycats. I love it! 

dysamoria said:
    Seriously? A $200/$300 book? WTAF. 
     You didn't go to college did you? 

I was honestly hoping that that would be a lot funnier than it was. The "fake product reveal" videos are so old and cliche that it was actually painful to watch. 

Back to the drawing board! The embarrassing thing is that even Apple is better at making fun of itself. Remember that one keynote where they had all of those skits that had every Apple fan in stitches? Or how they began WWDC 15. FAVORITE. 

It wasn't that funny. My favorite book technology video is this one: 

Medieval helpdesk

franklinjackconjibberjbaconstanglolliver
  • Reply 18 of 73
    blastdoor said:

Why? Because the hipsters over at The Verge made fun of it (even though they bought one)? I'll bet 99% of Apple customers don't even know this book exists or if they do don't care.
    tycho24lolliver
  • Reply 19 of 73
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    blastdoor said:

Yes, I'm sure Apple is losing so much sleep over the "kicks" they're getting. I plan to buy this book, because Apple is a company that has inspired me to get into the line of work I'm in, and their products are tools that not only I love using, but that I make all my income with. They are a company that has effected design more than any on earth, driven innovation in countless ways, and shaped pop culture. I know that flipping through and owning this book will bring me a slice of joy, and I have no problem acknowledging that. I think the company has earned the right to produce a fucking book that chronicles their history through their products. It's something that will have zero negative effect on anyone, and is there for those who appreciate it. So yeah, I'm sorry if this book "offends" you. How dare they.
    foggyhillroundaboutnowMikeymikelamboaudi4baconstangwetlanderwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 20 of 73
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Lots of Like and Dislike votes on messages in this thread. It's a book! No one should be that offended that someone says something positive about printed material.

2) Textbooks can easily cost hundreds of dollars, but I contend they are too expensive. Each year they make very minor changes, say it's a new revision, and schools buy the new versions which students spend a fortune buying. Standard textbooks shouldn't cost more than your classes.

3) Anyone that thinks Ive is spending a lot of time on this and is somehow shrugging other duties, like the Mac Pro, isn't think about how a company like Apple with 115,000+ employees operates.

4) Apple, like pretty much every large company, makes a plethora of other products. Go into their corporate store and you'll see innumerable items with the Apple logo on them that you can't buy elsewhere.

5) It's just a book. I'm not buying it. You probably have no interest in buying it, either. No need to get upset about its existence or imply that it's not worth its price because it holds no value for you.
    edited November 2016 roundaboutnowpscooter63