Apple issues 5K Thanksgiving day activity challenge to Apple Watch wearers

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has issued a special challenge to Apple Watch wearers, offering a Thanksgiving-themed Activity achievement to those who walk, run or wheelchair a workout distance of at least 5 kilometers, or 3.1 miles.

The Activity Challenge was issued to Apple Watch wearers early Monday, displaying the following message:

"Activity Challenge: This Thanksgiving Day, November 24th, earn a special achievement by completing a walk, run or wheelchair workout of at least 5K (3.1 mi)."

Completing the Thanksgiving task will give users a unique medal in their list of achievements in the Activity app. The challenge is not limited to Apple's Workout app for Apple Watch, as Apple noted that any app that records workouts into the iPhone Health app will qualify.

Those who complete the challenge will also earn a special Messages app sticker, supporting the sticker functionality introduced earlier this year in iOS 10.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

I give Apple credit for trying.   But frankly, I consider these "medals" kind of silly.  

Apple does not seem to understand serious athletes & fitness enthusiasts.   They need to up their game...

Instead of a silly medal, I would prefer to go to the Health App or Activity App and find a meaningful summary of my exercise & activity that helps me to see and understand how I've been doing over the past week, month, quarter and year and to help me tune my exercise and activity in order to promote my health.   Right now those offerings are second rate -- particularly the health app. 

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 14
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

I give Apple credit for trying.   But frankly, I consider these "medals" kind of silly.  

Apple does not seem to understand serious athletes & fitness enthusiasts.   They need to up their game...

Instead of a silly medal, I would prefer to go to the Health App or Activity App and find a meaningful summary of my exercise & activity that helps me to see and understand how I've been doing over the past week, month, quarter and year and to help me tune my exercise and activity in order to promote my health.   Right now those offerings are second rate -- particularly the health app. 

Gosh who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? 
    ericthehalfbeewatto_cobrapeterhartlolliverapplepieguy
  • Reply 3 of 14
    wlymwlym Posts: 102member

Serious-ish athlete here (marathons, half-marathons) who, while agreeing that the Watch / Health apps could use more granularity, flexibility and pertinent info, totally digs the beautifully designed medals. I recently walked a few extra km after an 18km run just to earn the 3X Move Goal medal. Silly.
    watto_cobralolliverapplepieguy
  • Reply 4 of 14
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member

Consider that perhaps this isn't aimed at serious athletes and fitness enthusiasts but rather at the vast majority of Americans that will be scarfing down a thousand or two extra calories on that day.  I don't know if many people care about getting messages app stickers, but not a bad idea to go for a walk after Thanksgiving dinner.
    edited November 2016 macxpresswatto_cobralolliverapplepieguy
  • Reply 5 of 14
    This is a cool idea, and I think they should do more of this. My only tiny tiny gripe with this is that a lot of people will already be planning a turkey run, so us sloths get to watch as the motivated runnerati get a medal for free. (please read a little humor on that and don't respond with hate) How about a medal for something a little more our speed like a 1k walk, lol. 
    macxpresswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    williamh said:

Consider that perhaps this isn't aimed at serious athletes and fitness enthusiasts but rather at the vast majority of Americans that will be scarfing down a thousand or two extra calories on that day.  I don't know if many people care about getting messages app stickers, but not a bad idea to go for a walk after Thanksgiving dinner.

BINGO! The health apps in general are for these kinds of people. Its not about getting people motivated who already exercise everyday, they're already motivated or else they wouldn't be doing it. Its about those who don't exercise, or who want to but aren't motivated, or can't stay motivated. Some people here just don't get it. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 7 of 14
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Who the hell does Apple think they are? More "Nanny State" BS replacing compelling products?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    "...workout of at least 5K" I believe it's written "5 km". What is "5K", a distance?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    I have an Apple Watch but did not receive this alert. I just went to look for it after reading this article and don't see it anywhere.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Would that they'd do this sort of thing for the rest of the world, not just the USA.

Thanksgiving came and went last month in Canada without any such 'challenge'.

I wonder if they'll do anything for xmas or new years, and if they do, will that too be restricted to just the USA.
    lolliver
  • Reply 11 of 14
    ktappe said:
    I have an Apple Watch but did not receive this alert. I just went to look for it after reading this article and don't see it anywhere.
    I received this alert this morning....
  • Reply 12 of 14

Is this US-only? Makes sense since it's a Thanksgiving special.

Would still have loved to take the challenge though.

lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Well, I am 49, trying to get back into shape, started Crossfit Class's and HATE RUNNING.  I do run in crossfit but its in like 800m intervals...Getting this achievement motivated me to get out this morning and Run 3.6 miles.  So yeah, maybe its not great for uber athletes but for the other 90% of the world it might do something to motivate us to get off our butts more often.

Kudos to apple for trying

P.S.  A little disappointed  because its not showing up yet....maybe its a certain time of day when it updates.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    williamh said:

You are correct.   The Apple Watch has (so far) not targeted serious athletes...   It has the potential to meet the needs of both serious and occasional/casual 'athletes', but so far it has only targeted the occasional/casual crowd.   That is probably because in its early design phase Cook made the mistake of believing and targeting the medical side -- and those health care pros tell people to get "30 minutes of moderate exercise on most days" (but don't stop taking your pills!).

People who are serious about health and fitness understand that that philosophy misses the boat -- so they buy a Garmin watch/tracker. 
    ...  Which is such a shame because the Apple Watch just needs the software and it would walk all over any Garmin or Fitbit for ALL users...

So yes, I agree that the Apple Watch is targeted at the majority of fat, mostly sedentary, over-fed Americans.   Since when has Apple taken the low-road?