Samsung races to match Apple's iPhone 7 with new glossy black Galaxy S7

Posted:
in iPhone edited November 2016
As it did with gold and rose gold handsets before, Samsung is said to be preparing to launch a glossy black version of the Galaxy S7, mimicking the Jet Black color available for Apple's iPhone 7.

The new color option should ship in December, sources told The Investor. Samsung is already offering an "Onyx Black" with a matte finish, which could be compared to the matte Black for the iPhone 7, though many smartphone makers have some form of black for their phones.

Samsung has imitated Apple's colors in the past, for instance by launching a gold version of the Galaxy S4, and a rose gold edition of the Galaxy Note 5. Such choices might potentially sway shoppers who would otherwise be tempted to switch to an iPhone.

A current gold S7 model.
A current gold S7 model.

Indeed the S7 is reportedly selling better than the iPhone 7 in Korea thanks to the Nov. 11 launch of a "Coral Blue" color, which doesn't have an Apple equivalent. While Samsung is said to be selling about 15,000 Coral Blue units per day, the iPhone 7 is estimated to have dipped to about 10,000 units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    I guess it's true....

bloggerblogwlymlkruppSolibaconstanghcrefugeeanantksundarammagman1979viclauyyccali
  • Reply 2 of 45
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Copy Apple ? sure, me too. After Note 7 fiasco, Samsung is desperate to do anything to make it up.
    edited November 2016 viclauyyccaliwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 3 of 45
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Yawn ...
  • Reply 4 of 45
    This feels like a bad move from Samsung. It seems that Apple chose Jet black because a high polish works to highlight the minimal curves and uniquely tight seams in the iPhone. This simply isn't the case with the Galaxy S7, a glossy black finish will highlight the bumpy areas and bring attention to the gaps in the design and joins. Plus Samsung seems incapable of using their logo with any sense of subtlety - which will be yet another distraction to the glossy exterior.
    pscooter63viclauyyccaliwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 45
    Jet Black? I want Smokey Grey.
    charlesgresStrangeDaysmacseekerTheStemGroupviclauyyccaliwatto_cobragilly017
  • Reply 6 of 45
    BOOM!
    caliwatto_cobrakudu
  • Reply 7 of 45
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    "Samsung Races to Match Apple..."

Isn't that partly what got them into trouble the last time???

lmagoohammerd2napoleon_phoneapartmacseekermagman1979caliwatto_cobragilly017kudu
  • Reply 8 of 45
    This feels like a bad move from Samsung. It seems that Apple chose Jet black because a high polish works to highlight the minimal curves and uniquely tight seams in the iPhone. This simply isn't the case with the Galaxy S7, a glossy black finish will highlight the bumpy areas and bring attention to the gaps in the design and joins. Plus Samsung seems incapable of using their logo with any sense of subtlety - which will be yet another distraction to the glossy exterior.
    It's only to eliminate every pro-Apple arguments by saying 'yeah we got that too', doesn't matter how bad the imitation is.
    As they've already demonstrated, Samsung is disgustingly shameless
    lmagoostompymagman1979caliwatto_cobrakudujbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 45
    ….Well, this helps Samsung, keep the R&D costs Low.

viclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 45
    I don't think it's accurate (this time) that they are copying Apple. For one, this is the same color that they offered with the discontinued Note 7, right?

Seems like more of a move to maintain interest in a 9 month old device until their next flagship product launches. Besides they have already brought over a powder blue version from the Note 7. I think is more of the same. No new device, how about a new color..
    singularity
  • Reply 11 of 45
    I thought the S7 already looked glossy black?
  • Reply 12 of 45
    Another 'dog bites man' story....

B.o.r.i.n.g.
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 13 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I guess it's true....

Absolutely brilliant comeback! Brilliant!
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 45
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I guess it's true....

Excellent reply! Sammy is so much copycat.
    caliwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 15 of 45
    BWYS_NWYB said:
    I don't think it's accurate (this time) that they are copying Apple. For one, this is the same color that they offered with the discontinued Note 7, right?

Seems like more of a move to maintain interest in a 9 month old device until their next flagship product launches. Besides they have already brought over a powder blue version from the Note 7. I think is more of the same. No new device, how about a new color..
    Doesn't the article suggest the Black Onyx is more like the matte black of the iPhone 7? I haven't seen the Note 7 black in person so I can't say if it is as deep and shiny black as the Jet Black iPhone. In photos it doesn't look as deep of a black.

You're probably right in saying it is more of a move to renew interest in the S7. And since the Jet Black iPhone is/was a success in terms of customer demand, why not use something similar? They might also get a few naive buyers who would have otherwise bought an iPhone.
    edited November 2016 BWYS_NWYBwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Wireless charging is great. My new car has a wireless charging station and using a third party adaptor I can charge in the car without any wires.  Also since music is bluetooth enabled I don't need to connect to AUX or USB.  
    It would be great if Apple include wireless charging.  I can see the issue with reliability since it took a number of trys to find the best unit for wireless charging.  
    As for the glass back,  no problem because most people use a case already to protect the front from damage.  
  • Reply 17 of 45
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I guess it's true....

[Polishing turd video]
    caliwatto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I guess it's true....

That is the most fascinating video I have ever seen on this site. 

Seriously. 
    edited November 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 45
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    What's the definition of "slavishly copying" again?
    watto_cobragilly017jbdragon
  • Reply 20 of 45
    xsmixsmi Posts: 139member
    I do like the gold on the front of the phone as well as the back, however, it looks cheap on the Samsung.
    watto_cobra