CNN buys Casey Neistat's Beme video-sharing app, plans major new business

Posted:
in iPhone
CNN has reportedly acquired Beme, the video-sharing app co-founded by YouTube celebrity Casey Neistat -- with plans to turn it into a much bigger project.

All 11 Beme workers will join CNN, which said it's spinning the app into a business under its CNN Digital wing, aimed at reaching a millennial audience and banking on Neistat's reputation, according to Variety. The original app and service will be shut down sometime before CNN's effort launches in summer 2017.

Under another co-founder, Matt Hackett, the former Beme team will "build technology to enable the new company and also develop mobile video capabilities for CNN's portfolio of digital properties," CNN said. Dozens more people will be hired on, among them developers, producers, designers, and content creators.

Earlier in November, Neistat told his 5.8 million-plus YouTube subscribers that he would be ending his personal video updates to focus on something new, which turns out to be the arrangement with CNN. In his new position, Neistat will be an executive producer guiding the venture's "editorial vision."

CNN was vague on what the new business will do, except for "filling the world with excellent, timely and topical video and empowering content creators to use technology to find their voice." It also suggested that the video "won't be what most people think of as 'news,'" but will be "relevant to the daily conversations that dominate our lives."

Neistat will continue to control his YouTube channel, which will be separate from the CNN business. He could potentially appear on CNN's TV networks.

On iPhones and Android devices, Beme let users quickly record and share short video clips without tapping a button. Despite launching with a splash in 2015, its growth quickly stagnated in competition with apps like Snapchat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Neistat came out publicly for Hillary, meanwhile former paid CNN consultant Donna Brazile fed Hillary debate questions in advance in an attempt to throw the election to Hillary. Any chance "Beme" will serve as a propaganda tool for CNN? Count on it.
    perkedelmonstrosityboltsfan17apple ][gtr
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Neistat came out publicly for Hillary, meanwhile former paid CNN consultant Donna Brazile fed Hillary debate questions in advance in an attempt to throw the election to Hillary. Any chance "Beme" will serve as a propaganda tool for CNN? Count on it.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Neistat should have stayed out of politics. Way to alienate half your audience.
    edited November 2016 boltsfan17SpamSandwichapple ][
  • Reply 3 of 8
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Ah, that's why he suddenly stopped. Not happy with getting sent loads of free stuff and living off advertising, his company and YouTube cash, he sold out.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    evilution said:
    Ah, that's why he suddenly stopped. Not happy with getting sent loads of free stuff and living off advertising, his company and YouTube cash, he sold out.
    Well, as a business move I think it makes a lot of sense for him. I just strongly disagree with his politics although I did notice as I combed over his videos, he got invited to a lot of events that tended to lean Left (I count entertainment events among those, especially the Academy Awards).
  • Reply 5 of 8
    CNN makes moves towards media streams , because alternative news beat them wityh giving many alection relevant facts that CNN did not want to talk about and marginalized besed on set "objectives".
    monstrosity
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Exactly what I was thinking. Neistat should have stayed out of politics. Way to alienate half your audience.
    What a joke. Maybe people should grow some thicker skin and not be so offended/upset that someone has different political opinions.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    With this purchase CNN just moved one step closer to the truth:

BNN: Bullshit News Network.

edited November 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Oh that's fantastic!  A whole new way for the Communist News Network to be beamed into minds full of mush.