Amazon plans major crackdown on counterfeit sellers for 2017

Posted:
in General Discussion
Not long after related Apple efforts, Amazon is about to embark on eliminating counterfeit vendors from its online store -- making it a major focus for 2017, a report said on Monday.

Teams in U.S. and Europe are working with major brands to set up a registry of recognized sellers, even if they aren't already on Amazon, according to a Bloomberg source. Allegedly the company began testing the registry earlier this year, signing up brands like Nike, and 2017 will simply see it expand to encompass thousands of firms, assuming outreach efforts are successful.

Merchants wanting to sell brands linked with the registry will have to show proof they're authorized to do so. While this may make it harder for independent sellers to get started -- especially after Amazon imposed high fees on resellers for some brands earlier this year -- it could deal a blow to counterfeit manufacturers operating out of countries like China, which will often produce poor-quality knockoffs with names and product descriptions designed to confuse shoppers. Some legitimate businesses have reportedly been reluctant to sell on Amazon because of the problem.

Apple in particular has been a common target for counterfeiters, given the popularity of its products and the sometimes high cost of its authorized accessories. In October the company launched a lawsuit against a vendor called Mobile Star, which has been selling fake power cables and adapters, though it has long been pushed off of Amazon.

At the time Apple made the claim that nearly 90 percent of Apple accessories sold as genuine through the "Fulfillment by Amazon" program were fake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Can they start with every single Apple Watch Band seller that is using Apple's photography to pass off their cheap imitations. 
    sockrolidanantksundaramStrangeDaysstompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 14
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Can they start with every single Apple Watch Band seller that is using Apple's photography to pass off their cheap imitations. 
    Seriously.
    Also, eBay allows you to use Apple's standard marketing images to help sell your used Apple gear.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I'm actually surprised Amazon is doing this. They make a ton of money off counterfeit goods from China. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    sog35 said:
    freakin about time Amazon

There needs to be a class action suit against Amazon. Flat out ridiculous
    I'm actually shocked no one has sued Amazon. Their inventory system is a joke. It's stupid they bundle the same products together by third party vendors. By doing that, someone who legitimately sent authentic products to sell under fulfillment by Amazon could have fake products from someone else sold as their own. 
    anantksundaramration aldysamoria[Deleted User]stompy
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Also check for broken electronics resale without proper FCC codes. There is plenty of Chenese companies that sell blown electronics (exploded capacitors or other elements) for cheap as parts from some disassembled devices. They require FCC numbers by federal regulations, but they do not carry one. If it is not automotive electronics then it cannot be solde in the USA. That also creates gap where legal manufacturers have to go through painful and not cheap FCC process and then it sounds like promotion to China to sell cheap and conquer the market without proper certification process for electronics.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sog35 said:
    freakin about time Amazon

There needs to be a class action suit against Amazon. Flat out ridiculous
    I agree. People were legitimately freaked out about Alibaba doing the same shady things. I am quite shocked and surprised to see that there isn't equivalent outrage about Amazon.

Just as Alibaba is cleaning up its act, Amazon will have to as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    How about all these sales of "manufacturer refurbished" or "factory refurbished" iPads on Amazon? I would expect them to be refurbished by Apple, but no, doesn't appear to be the case. I emailed a seller, and the answer I received is: "This item has not been refurbished by Apple, however it has been professionally refurbished so that it looks and feels as if it were new. It comes in special refurbished packaging with all Apple compatible accessories." Then the question is what is "special refurbished packaging" and "all Apple compatible accessories"?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Someone needs to start selling fake Amazon Echos on Ebay
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Why wait? Amazon has become a flea market flooded with fakes.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    daven said:
    Someone needs to start selling fake Amazon Echos on Ebay
    Or on Amazon!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    They should never have started that marketplace nonsense. 
  • Reply 12 of 14
    sdietric0 said:
    How about all these sales of "manufacturer refurbished" or "factory refurbished" iPads on Amazon? I would expect them to be refurbished by Apple, but no, doesn't appear to be the case. I emailed a seller, and the answer I received is: "This item has not been refurbished by Apple, however it has been professionally refurbished so that it looks and feels as if it were new. It comes in special refurbished packaging with all Apple compatible accessories." Then the question is what is "special refurbished packaging" and "all Apple compatible accessories"?
    Lookup the repair companies, 9/10 times they also sell "refurbished" devices. sometimes "refurbishing" with non-genuine parts.
    Reading reviews on them, there is often after care problems which they are all to happy to charge you again to fix.
    buy cheap, buy twice.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Bit of a ballache for accessories but for devices, they surely all have a unique serial number which could be tied to each sale, new/used/refurbished etc so the authenticity can be traced and proven. if a duplicate or bogus serial number is scanned then it is flagged and pulled, investigation etc. Would involve upgrade of amazon/ebay systems but I bet apple has some sort of capability for this already.