CBS boosts All Access video streaming with live NFL games

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
CBS on Thursday announced a significant coup for its All Access video service, revealing that as of Dec. 4 subscribers will be able to stream the network's NFL games -- though smartphone owners will have to turn elsewhere.

All NFL on CBS games will be included, along with pregame and halftime coverage, and some NFL Game Pass material. The company is promising availability in 150 markets, but due to industry deals, the only way of streaming the games on a smartphone -- iPhone or otherwise -- will be through the NFL Mobile app on Verizon.

All Access viewers will however be able to stream via an iPad or Apple TV, and several other platforms including Chromecast, Roku, Fire TV, PlayStation 4, Xbox, and the Web.

Professional sports are often considered a "holy grail" for video streaming services, given their diehard fanbases and the reluctance of networks like ESPN to risk lucrative deals with cable and satellite providers.

All Access offers two plans: a "Limited Commercials" option costing $5.99 per month, and the $9.99 "Commercial Free" tier, which despite its name still laces some shows with ads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    sog35 said:
    or you could just buy a digital antenna and get it for free

I purchased a digital antenna, hdhome run, and channels app. Total cost was $160.

But now I have free HD Fox, CBS, NBC, PBS, and ABC.  With the hdhome run and channels app I can watch these channels WITHOUT an ugly antenna in my living room. Its just an app on my AppleTV.

I can also watch those same channels on my iPad and iPhone. Even can watch on my 120 inch projector

The antenna and hdhomerun is hidden in my office connected to my Apple router.

This way I'm never at the mercy of Apple, Dish, ect who can't seem to get their crap together to give me all the local/broadcast channels.
    I unfortunately don't have this option, I live in a river valley that has no tv reception at all.  This CBS update makes cord-cutting easier for me.  A good portion of the NFL season is being broadcast on CBS, so I should be able to get all my NFL games now.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    So.... does this mean I can watch out of market games by selecting the city they are aired in? Or am I stuck with whatever local market I am physically in?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    So.... does this mean I can watch out of market games by selecting the city they are aired in? Or am I stuck with whatever local market I am physically in?
    Most likely of the current rules, you'll be stuck with broadcasts from your local CBS affiliate that your iTunes account is registered.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Thanks for the disparaging Eagles photo, dicks.  
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Yawn, the sport is boring, I have better things to do with my life. Ratings and the number of folks watching will continue to drop. Life is moving on....
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Ever since about 10 years ago, I gave up on the networks.  For an hour's show, one only gets 38 minutes of the show.  Plus the shows don't excite me.  These days unless an actor or actress is on the news, I wouldn't really recognize them in public.

Regarding the NFL, they made a decision back in the mid 1990s so bad that I gave up on them.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I refuse to buy into CBS's All Access service because they want to charge me 5 bucks for stuff that is free over the air and is Ad supported.
    Disney's ABC is the only major network that is fully cooperating with the idea of OTT streaming TV.

I am trying out the at&t DirecTV now for $35 for 3 months and it looks very promising.
    CBS is not onboard because they to charge $5 for all access.  Don't support their expensive crap and make them deal with the likes of DirecTV Now streaming.
    NBC is not fully operational yet either but should be soon.

The "DirecTV Now" App is OK but the SIRI integration is poor and DirecTV Now appears to support authentication from the individual Apps of mostly Disney channels including ABC, Disney, Disney Jr., Disney XD, ESPN, Freeform, HBO Go and Max Go, which sort of cripples some of the best features of the AppleTV.   If "DirecTV Now" does not support single sign-on after it is released, I will drop the service but I think they will.  There is also the issue of the 2 streams limit where it appears that you have to quit the App or the system thinks that you are still streaming in the background and prevents you from streaming somewhere else.  That really sucks and I will drop the service if this gets on my nerve too much or if at&t tries to charge an arm and a leg for more streams.  A stream costs them nothing except that the limit prevents sharing with multiple households.

Time will tell.
    edited December 2016