Apple issues iOS 10.2 beta 5 to public & developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Apple on Friday released a fifth beta of iOS 10.2 to developers and public beta participants, its second update of the test software in just four days.

Developers can download the beta via Apple's official developer portal, while public beta participants can access it through the Software Update feature on previously registered devices. Specific changes over the slightly older version are not yet known.

The most recent beta update for iOS 10.2 arrives only four days after the reveal of the fourth one. Apple's tvOS was updated on Wednesday.

The iOS 10.2 update includes redrawn emoji and 72 new characters, conforming with the Unicode 9.0 specification. The new iOS and tvOS versions also include a dedicated "TV" app.

iPhone 7 owners will get new wallpapers, and the native Videos app is gaining a widget. Apple is also adding a "Celebration" effect in Messages.

When released, iOS 10.2 and tvOS 10.1 will further include single sign-on support for streaming TV, allowing people subscribed to cable/satellite or online-only services to access channels across multiple apps without constantly re-authenticating.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    Must be nearing ready for the public release!
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 2 of 9
    JinTech said:
    Must be nearing ready for the public release!
    my thoughts exactly - I was just about to install 4 when I read this. Saved me so time and trouble. Course could have been a show-stopper that they found that needed addressing but I rather doubt that as there was no "Danger Will Robinson" please install this NOW. ;-)
    JinTech
  • Reply 3 of 9
    EricMCSE76EricMCSE76 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    This build broke captive remediation connectivity to corporate wifi access point. No longer detects captive remediation for redirect to access page. Works fine on beta 4. Issue has been submitted. 
  • Reply 4 of 9
    I'll speculate that the reason for this quick update is to address the recently discovered Activation Lock bypass exploit.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    There is a reasonably widespread problem with the phone freezing during keyboard usage. I hope they have a fix for that in the upcoming 10.2 patch. 
  • Reply 6 of 9
    hope they release it soon and hope the jailbreak will follow, my iPhone 7 plus is a bit boring without the jailbreak. 
  • Reply 7 of 9
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    SOS still has not returned.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    stukestuke Posts: 122member
    And star ratings and my lyrics...ARE THEY still in the latest beta?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    stuke said:
    And star ratings and my lyrics...ARE THEY still in the latest beta?
    Lyrics are in 10.1: Just swipe upwards on the "now playing" tab. It will show the upcoming tracks, as well as the shuffle and loop buttons — and allow you to show the lyrics.

You can also access the lyrics by tapping on the ellipsis ("…") and then on "lyrics".