New study on holiday wearables sales gives Apple Watch dominant revenue lead

Posted:
in Apple Watch
A new research study has determined that not only did Apple garner nearly half of the online revenue generated, but that number has grown significantly since the last holiday season, at the expense of its rivals Fitbit, Samsung, and Garmin.

New data collected by Slice Intelligence shows Apple holding a commanding 46.6 percent of the holiday market share of wearables' online revenue so far, up from 37 percent at the end of November 2015. Apple's main competitor in the overall space Fitbit, has fallen from 36.8 percent of the revenue, down to 31.9 percent this year.

Other than Apple, the only company to gain revenue over last year's numbers is Garmin, jumping from 7.2 percent to 8.1 percent. Apple's rival in the smartphone market, Samsung, clings to fourth place, with a 4 percent share of the revenue, also down year-over year.

While Apple may or may not be leading in overall numbers of users, it appears to be continuing the trend of dominating the industry's profits, much the same way that it holds nearly the entire smartphone industry's profit.

Slice believes that the revenue from wearables is up 10 percent, year over year, outpacing electronics as a larger whole, but falling behind a 33 percent increase in mobile phones, and 21 percent growth in computers.

The analyst firm pulled revenue data from customer receipts of U.S. online shoppers, which totaled 46,703 buyers of wearables in 2016, between Nov. 1 and Nov. 28.

Tuesday's report comes hot on the heels of IDC's data, suggesting that the Apple Watch was losing ground to less expensive competitors prior to the holiday season .

Apple CEO Tim Cook refuted the numbers, at least in part. While not directly commenting on the time frame of the IDC data which was mostly before the refresh of the Apple Watch in September, Cook claimed that holiday sales of the wearable were "off the charts" with sell-through of the Apple Watch "greater than any week in the product's history."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Ah, Slice again, the private research company that came into existence at the same time as the Apple Watch specifically to analyze the Apple Watch sales performance through opt in web polls. 
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "So how confident are you that your estimates are better than IDC's?"

"Very confident Dave. Our original figures, estimated from receipts taken from all the shoppers in Alaska who have no arms, put the Apple Watch losing market share at a rate of 619% per week."

"Really?"

"Absolutely. In fact, according to our data, people all over the world were making their own Apple Watches and then forcing Apple to buy them."

"That's almost too incredible to believe."

"Yes, almost. But then we got new data, ran them through our proprietary prediction algorithm and discovered that Apple was slightly further ahead than we thought."

"Amazing. And where did this new data come from?"

"Tony."

"And is Tony an acronym for some advanced data sifting application?"

"No, Tony is the guy who delivers sandwiches at lunchtime. He said that Tim Cook reckons the Apple Watch is selling great."

"Oh. And so this proprietary prediction algorithm…?"

"Sarah in accounts. She heard it too."

2old4funjmgregory1watto_cobra[Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 19
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Don't believe the poll numbers not about political candidates or watches. 
    2old4funalbegarc
  • Reply 4 of 19
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Lets just keep throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks! Then claim we were right!

If I were Apple, I'd be laughing my ass off watching people try and predict sales of their products. I hope Apple stops showing individual sales of all of their products eventually. They can just say we made X amount of money on X amount of revenue and leave it at that. Let everyone else try and figure this all out. LOL 
    calialbegarcration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    someone will come out with an article how apple was down from 60% to 30% last week of November 
  • Reply 6 of 19
    I think I have this right...at the end of the last Keynote, Tim summarized Apple's improved line-up going into the Holiday season. He said the new Apple Watch w/ Watch OS 3, the Apple TV w/ TVOS, the iPhone 7 (and Se) and iPad Pro's w/ iOS10, the MacBook and new Mac Book Pro's w/ Mac OS10 Sierra is the strongest product line for Apple, ever!

Listening to Apple's efforts/plans put into one or two sentences really brought home the amount of hard work, direction and expertise Apple has to have such a strong product line. It's very impressive especially when compared to what MS, Google, Samsung are doing.

Best 
    edited December 2016 2old4funcalibrucemcalbegarcration alwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 19
    So basically the Apple Watch is just like Apple's other products. Doesn't dominate market share but dominates revenue. Call it par for the course. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Heard at an IDC emergency meeting: "quick make up some profitable white box wearables to make Apple look bad in the eyes of our clients. Should we also include candy bracelets and toys in market share? Perhaps we can hide them in'other'"
    ericthehalfbeeStrangeDaysDan Andersenwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 9 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Sammy is out. Jawbone seems to be going Down(hurrhurr) like pebble. 

This is going to be Apples and Fitbits game(history repeats)*. Although I do see another brand competing with these two, I just don't know who.

I believe removing the Edition was a mistake as it erodes the luxury of the brand and keeps Rolex/Movado etc. fans away.( Who are willing to spend thousands for a watch )

* when Apple enters a new market they destroy  and established  player and create a new competitor to go ahead on with. 
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    cali said:

This is going to be Apples and Fitbits game(history repeats)*. Although I do see another brand competing with these two, I just don't know who.

I believe removing the Edition was a mistake as it erodes the luxury of the brand and keeps Rolex/Movado etc. fans away.( Who are willing to spend thousands for a watch )

* when Apple enters a new market they destroy  and established  player and create a new competitor to go ahead on with. 

I think the Edition did its job. It got the high-rollers, fashionista and celebs on board, which helped get the Apple Watch established. Not so sure it's really needed now. The plan has always been health monitoring; that's the market Apple's aiming for.
    ration al
  • Reply 11 of 19
    macxpress said:
    Lets just keep throwing shit at the wall and see what sticks! Then claim we were right!

If I were Apple, I'd be laughing my ass off watching people try and predict sales of their products. I hope Apple stops showing individual sales of all of their products eventually. They can just say we made X amount of money on X amount of revenue and leave it at that. Let everyone else try and figure this all out. LOL 
    Amazon seems to do this without much trouble and is spared a lot of the second guessing.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:

I think the Edition did its job. It got the high-rollers, fashionista and celebs on board, which helped get the Apple Watch established. Not so sure it's really needed now. The plan has always been health monitoring; that's the market Apple's aiming for.
     So do you think Apple dumping the high rollers and fashionistas now is a good thing? I don't think that's very smart. 

Just because we can't afford expensive watches doesn't mean other people can't. Apple is allowing Rolex to keep the high-end to themselves. 

Celebrities with custom diamond-encrusted Apple Watches are a testament to this markets existence. Now when millionaires walk into an Apple Store they'll walk out with a $1000 watch and pay a jeweler $1,000s  of dollars to customize it. 
  • Reply 13 of 19
    macxpress said:

Amazon seems to do this without much trouble and is spared a lot of the second guessing.
    For some reason Apple is held accountable when others aren't. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but back in the old days Apple used to break down specific Macs and sales. So they'd report on X number of PowerMac's, X number of iMacs, iBooks, PowerBooks, etc. Then they stopped doing that and just went to today's method of we sold X number of Macs. So possibly they're used to Apple breaking down products and numbers, but I think they should stop. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 14 of 19

sog35 said:
    cali said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:

So do you think Apple dumping the high rollers and fashionistas now is a good thing? I don't think that's very smart. 

Just because we can't afford expensive watches doesn't mean other people can't. Apple is allowing Rolex to keep the high-end to themselves. 

Celebrities with custom diamond-encrusted Apple Watches are a testament to this markets existence. Now when millionaires walk into an Apple Store they'll walk out with a $1000 watch and pay a jeweler $1,000s  of dollars to customize it. 
    I would not be surprised to see another $10k Edition watches when the AppleWatch 2 comes out.

I think they want to make it a limited edition and not every year.
    Probably a good idea considering you paid $10,000 for a watch and a year later is out of date. I still think Apple should try and do some kind of swap whether its the entire watch (minus the bands), or just an internals swap if someone purchased a watch of that price. 
    ration al
  • Reply 15 of 19
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    cali said:

Yeah, that chart shows pretty much how the landscape in wearables is going to pan out I think.  Don't expect an Android Wear product to make any significant unit sales here. Nor do I expect any of the traditional luxury brands to make much of a play in wearables - they will continue to be the "jewelry" of watches.  Fitbit is rumoured to buy out Pebble, taking a competitor out of market.  No doubt a big name will buy Fitbit in the not-to-distant future.  

So Apple, Fitbit, and then the majority of the total market cheap junk "Others".  Apple with 90% of profits, Fitbit (or buyer) with 10%, and Others with ~0%.

As for the Edition, we see Apple still having a higher end right now.  So it is possible a gold version may emerge in the future once the category is larger, the product more mature, and the timeframe between upgrades gets longer.

ration al
  • Reply 16 of 19
    cali said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    cali said:

Maybe they've withdrawn the gold Edition to prevent Rolex firing back with a USB-A model ;-)
    edited December 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Too many companies go down the cheap route to get market share.  Rarely works and in the end fitbit is doomed.  
    Shame about Pebble.  It was a good idea but needed to go mainstream faster.
    There will be multitude of android devices that will sell like crazy and make no one any money.
    Apple as usual will take all of the profit because they focus on well made products that can sell at a price where they can make a profit.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    doggone said:
    Too many companies go down the cheap route to get market share.  Rarely works and in the end fitbit is doomed.  
    Shame about Pebble.  It was a good idea but needed to go mainstream faster.
    There will be multitude of android devices that will sell like crazy and make no one any money.
    Apple as usual will take all of the profit because they focus on well made products that can sell at a price where they can make a profit.
    Not so sure that FitBit is doomed.  As the "market leader" in wearables (in at least one measure), and having a pretty solid user base who like the products, they are definitely a candidate for the long haul.  They may get purchased by any one of the large companies that missed the bought with organic products.  They can come up the value chain to more dedicated smart watch, with a key point being compatibility with multiple smart phones.

I don't expect them to beat Apple at their game, but who else do you see as the players in this space?