Apple seeds sixth beta of macOS Sierra 10.12.2 for developers

Posted:
in macOS
Apple on Thursday released another developer-only macOS Sierra 10.12.2 beta, the second one in three days, and the sixth overall.

Release notes accompanying Apple's new beta offers no information about what the updates include beyond maintenance-related changes and minor bug fixes. The short cycle on the macOS beta, similar to the frequency of iOS beta updates, suggests that a release is imminent.

While mostly consisting of bugfixes, the update also includes the same emoji featured in the iOS 10.2 beta. These match the Unicode 9.0 standard, and offer both new and redrawn icons, the latter with more detail.

The last macOS full update, 10.12.1, was released to the public on Oct. 24

The last 10.12.2 beta had references to a trio of new GPUs, but no solid data on any of the three.

Developers can download the latest beta releases from Apple's developer webpage or directly on test devices via Software Update. Public beta participants can get the software as an over-the-air update if they're already registered in the program.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The recent betas have been very buggy, im hoping this is a sign of stability.  That and a lot of beach balls.  
    stantheman
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    wizard69 said:
    The recent betas have been very buggy, im hoping this is a sign of stability.  That and a lot of beach balls.  
    "The recent betas have been very buggy, im hoping this is a sign of stability"  I assume that's a typo?

I haven't experienced many although using dual screen on a new Mac Pro I have seen some oddities such as momentary black outs when dragging images from open apps on screen two to open apps on screen one and a few times the Finder views don't update requiring Finder reboots.  A few Mail glitches also but zero beach balls.

Talking of dragging images ... I wish Photos would support drag into onto apps' icons the way everything else I use does.  It supports drag onto Pages and Numbers and Keynote but nothing else such as Photoshop.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 3 of 10
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Speaking of video issues that is or was part of my concern.   This is on a 2015 13" MBP, ive seen strange behavior in the menu bat and else where!    Havent seen any of this in the last beta.    

Beach balling does happen though.    

In general im lacking yhe warm fuzzy feeling of the initial release.  
  • Reply 4 of 10
    released to the public
  • Reply 5 of 10
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Hoping it makes everything a bit more snappier. My late 2009 iMac is the oldest machine that can load Sierra, so I knew it would be a bit taxing on it.

But it is still slower than I'd expected. Hopefully a few optimizations will help (and maybe a clean install later on!)
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I wonder if the release of the next updates for MacOS and iOS will also mark the release of the Beats x and AirPods earphones. 
    Have a nice day
  • Reply 7 of 10
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    talexy said:
    I wonder if the release of the next updates for MacOS and iOS will also mark the release of the Beats x and AirPods earphones. 
    Have a nice day
    Ugh...does every single topic somehow have to have AirPods added to it. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    frank777 said:
    Hoping it makes everything a bit more snappier. My late 2009 iMac is the oldest machine that can load Sierra, so I knew it would be a bit taxing on it.

But it is still slower than I'd expected. Hopefully a few optimizations will help (and maybe a clean install later on!)
    I am sure you know all this well but it's worth saying for those that don't.  I don't think macOS Sierra will be more taxing on older Macs per se, the issue / problem is ever more uses of your internet for iCloud usage and other background internet 'goings on' especially Photos in the first few days really hits older Mac's apparent speed.  On any old Mac I run ( I have a veritable museum of them)  I turn off all iCloud/internet related items in settings and they fly along absent the anchor.  Then I turn on stuff I really want on one by one until the performance is acceptable then leave everything else off.  
  • Reply 9 of 10

talexy said:
    Have a nice day
    You lose brownie points for typing MacOS instead of macOS you know!   ;) You my well be correct though.
    edited December 2016