Apple analyst Gene Munster to leave Piper Jaffray, launch VC firm

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2016
Gene Munster, one of the most well known Apple analysts in the world, is leaving investment giant Piper Jaffray to start a venture capital firm specializing in AR/VR solutions, artificial intelligence and other advanced technologies.

Gene Munster. | Source: Bloomberg Businessweek

Munster, known for an unwaveringly bullish take on Apple, will start Loup Ventures with Doug Clinton and Andrew Murphy, reports Benzinga. Clinton is currently part of Munster's research team at Piper Jaffray, while Murphy served at the investment firm for nearly five years before leaving in 2012.

In a statement provided to Bloomberg, Munster said he will depart Piper Jaffray at the end of December ahead of Loup Ventures' launch in January.

"It's a research driven early stage VC based in Minneapolis and New York," Munster said. "The focus is virtual reality, augmented reality, artificial intelligence and robotics."

Munster joined Piper Jaffray 21 years ago as a research analyst concentrating on internet and hardware. For the past decade, however, Munster made a name for himself with upbeat analysis and predictions on Apple well before the success of iPhone. The analyst is also known for generating and delivering to investors regular status reports based on targeted consumer surveys, including intent to purchase forecasts from teen buyers.

Over the past few years, he has become somewhat of an institution at the company's quarterly earnings conference calls, often probing executives about unannounced products and initiatives. In 2009, for example, Munster predicted Apple would launch a branded connected television, a well to which he consistently returned until the fourth-generation Apple TV materialized in 2015.

More recently, Munster has focused on Apple's augmented reality initiatives, saying the company plans to integrate the technology into its iOS platform within the next few years.

Though Munster will no longer be associated with Piper Jaffray, he intends to publish research covering major tech companies and startups within Loup Ventures' purview. Considering Apple's interest in AI and AR/VR, along with a rumored robotics (autonomous vehicles) team, we'll likely here much more from the analyst in the future.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    And still no Apple Television.

Quite surprising seeing an actual photo. I always picture him looking like renowned Critic Gene Shalit.
    rcponemacguiasdasdiphonenickSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 25
    anome said:

Quite surprising seeing an actual photo. I always picture him looking like renowned Critic Gene Shalit.
    Gene's problem was that he was a few decades too late, we already had the Mac TV. 
    sockrolidlolliver
  • Reply 3 of 25
    AR/VR solutions? Yeah, I bet that's going to be a profitable VC business...NOT! AR/VR seems like it's a catchphrase like 3D TV was. It's unlikely very many people will be lining up to wear bulky VR goggles.
    SpamSandwichbaconstangcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I never got the feeling he was all that successful in his prognostication. But, he carried himself well and best of luck in his new pursuit.
    radarthekatasdasdrobertwalter
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Hopefully he'll be insanely successful and be closely followed by a whippersnapper analyst who once wore a pair of cardboards at a house party to suddenly become an instant expert on Munster's VR startups.
    JanNL
  • Reply 6 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Now we'll be hearing Gene's predictions of autonomous Apple vehicles ...
    ... with connected Apple TV sets inside them to entertain all those bored passengers.
    anomeEsquireCats
  • Reply 7 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

anome said:

Gene's problem was that he was a few decades too late, we already had the Mac TV. 
    I have seen a Macintosh TV.  At a Fry's Electronics.  
    A long time ago in a Silicon Valley far far away...

stanthemaniphonenick
  • Reply 8 of 25
    loekfloekf Posts: 41member
    Good luck to him for finding the next Magic Leap

Oh wait... more start-ups making realistic demos using CGI.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I never got the feeling he was all that successful in his prognostication. But, he carried himself well and best of luck in his new pursuit.
    Well said.  Most analysts, including Gene and Walt, are consistently years behind on insights I've seen from commenters right here on the AI board.  They simply have a bigger stage.  
  • Reply 10 of 25
    What's his background?  Does he have any theoretical education in robotics, control theory, machine learning, electrical engineering or computer science?  The mind boggles as to what his insights will be.  Nice photo though.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 11 of 25
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Wow - I'm like so excited at this non-story. 
  • Reply 12 of 25
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I guess he got sick of being wrong...like most analysts. Hopefully more are to come soon! 
    lolliver
  • Reply 13 of 25
    Sometime ago I started to ignore his forecasts due to inaccuracy. 
  • Reply 14 of 25
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,666member
    AR has massive potential but you need to find your niche and be good in it. Perhaps the plan is just to get a product or product idea up and running and sell it up to a bigger player instead of looking to develop it to the full.

I wonder if someday we'll see motorised, self driving (or user assisted) shopping trolleys that can handle curbs and stairs or if we'll be given a real time VR/AR Store visits - of the actual store - with live feeds and verbal interaction and have the purchase dropped off at home.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    sog35 said:
    Being an Apple bull analysist probably does not pay as well as being an Apple basher.

I kinda like Munster. At least he wasn't preaching the same bullshit all the negative Apple analysist preach.
    Too bad about no standalone AppleTV. But Cook made a good decision not making an Apple TV. Glad Cook is not chasing every single product like other CEOs

Completely agree.  Now he can put his own money at risk rather than just pontificating.
    cornchip
  • Reply 16 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress said:
    I guess he got sick of being wrong...like most analysts. Hopefully more are to come soon! 
    He must be really old school if that's the case,  analysts surely are trained to be wrong these days.  ;)
    macxpress
  • Reply 17 of 25
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    AR/VR solutions? Yeah, I bet that's going to be a profitable VC business...NOT! AR/VR seems like it's a catchphrase like 3D TV was. It's unlikely very many people will be lining up to wear bulky VR goggles.

Pretty myopic attitude on your part; while AR is easier to pull off without looking too silly today, VR can be much more than immersive television.  Where it offers fundamental benefits, the "dork factor" will never be an obstacle, even with today's goggles.  

That said, it sounds like Loup is chasing all the current buzzwords, which may be good for the short term, but not sure about a 5-year horizon.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    anome said:

I came here to say the same thing!
    anome
  • Reply 19 of 25
    Gene finally got fired?
    cornchip
  • Reply 20 of 25
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    Even if his numbers and predictions could be hit or miss, I always gave him credit for being one of the only outspoken analysts who believed in Apple back when almost everybody else just saw them as an ant in Microsoft's enormous shadow. Eventually, even the most skeptical (e.g. Katy Huberty) came around to his point of view--as it became impossible to disagree--and some managed to come up with better forecasts, but anybody who listened to him ~15 years ago has made a whole lot of money since then. 
    baconstang