Apple releases iOS 10.2 with new 'TV' app, plus new & refreshed emoji

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    tycho24 said:
    waverboy said:
    The TV app won't work with the two best streaming services, so it's a bit useless.

http://www.cultofmac.com/451509/apples-tv-app-doesnt-work-two-best-streaming-services/
    Well; I think by offering them a relaxation on the 30% cut for in app renewals if they offer connection to the TV app, they've extended a MAJOR olive branch.
    Never say never, but I would not expect to see any support from Amazon. They compete with Apple, not partner with them. Amazon wants you to buy their hardware and stay in their ecosystem. I think Netflix, on the other hand, will eventually come around. They say they want to control the experience, but in reality, there are a bazillion Netflix "apps" built in to every brand's Smart TV, Blu-Ray player, dongle and streaming outhouse in the wild and the interfaces range from good to bloody awful. So, agreeing to work with the TV app may become more agreeable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 43
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    mike1 said:
    tycho24 said:
    waverboy said:
    The TV app won't work with the two best streaming services, so it's a bit useless.

http://www.cultofmac.com/451509/apples-tv-app-doesnt-work-two-best-streaming-services/
    Well; I think by offering them a relaxation on the 30% cut for in app renewals if they offer connection to the TV app, they've extended a MAJOR olive branch.
    Never say never, but I would not expect to see any support from Amazon. They compete with Apple, not partner with them. Amazon wants you to buy their hardware and stay in their ecosystem. I think Netflix, on the other hand, will eventually come around. They say they want to control the experience, but in reality, there are a bazillion Netflix "apps" built in to every brand's Smart TV, Blu-Ray player, dongle and streaming outhouse in the wild and the interfaces range from good to bloody awful. So, agreeing to work with the TV app may become more agreeable.

I don't think you can even buy an Apple TV on Amazon, so the lines have been drawn for some time. No matter, I use the Amazon app on my Samsung UHD player and watch The Grand Tour in glorious 4k, WCG HDR!
  • Reply 23 of 43
    DirecTV Now is nowhere to be found on SSO.  That sucks.

• Reply 24 of 43
    F1Tyler said:
    If this doesn't fix the Bluetooth/car issue on my iphone7 I will snap
    What is your issue with your Bluetooth? Mine is, even when I have Podcasts downloaded it's as if its streaming and skips a lot. Never happened before on my iPhone 6 and iOS 9.

Not that it's a big deal but something I don't get. Why on the emoji's for the families you can't change the color? Drives me crazy,
  • Reply 25 of 43
    waverboy said:

Also, the iPad version supports HBOnow but not HBOgo. Guess I'll just have to open HBOgo the old way.

I'm not sure I'm crazy about the interface (iPad). Browsing, it shows too many crappy TV programs I don't want to watch that get in the way of finding the ones I do want to watch. Using Siri, it opens a show in the original app, not the TV app (even if I say "Play x in TV app).

It also doesn't seem to keep track of my unwatched shows on, say, Hulu. I don't see any watched/unwatched indicators.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    tycho24 said:
    johnbear said:
    thank goodness, hopefully by the end of the year Pangu will release the jailbreak 
    Lol, I always forget there is a jailbreak community still.
    It must be infinitesimal by now!

I wonder if people are still "rooting" their Android phones & flashing a bunch of retarded custom ROMs too.... I honestly thought all that boring ass scene died off about 2011ish.
    most people are not as boring as you are;) I can give 20-30 reasons why you need to jailbreak but again is not for people like you who are afraid of their shadow
    baconstangnetmage
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Wow. So upset. There is no way to hide purchased movies and tv shows using the new TV app.  So when I want to see which movies are actually downloaded on my iPad, there is no way. 

I have over 50 movies purchased thru iTunes, but only 5 are cartoons for my daughter. Her iPad now has to shows all 50. No way to hide the 40 that are mine, not age appropriate and not even downloaded on her iPad. 

U messed up big time on this one apple. The old Videos app was able to hide purchases. Why r we losing features in an update??
    peterhartlorin schultzNaiyas
  • Reply 28 of 43
    Nothing about the battery issues?
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Great - we get a bunch of new emojiis. 
    No mention about fixing the camera freezing when opening it from the lock screen.
    No mention about People not syncing with the iCloud Photo Library among iOS devices and with Sierra.
    TV app only for the USA and not even compatible with Netflix.
    No mention about the random hangs here and there in the iMessage app...

But yes, we do get better looking and even more numerous emojiis. That is important. Very important. 
  • Reply 30 of 43
    shywizard said:
    Wow. So upset. There is no way to hide purchased movies and tv shows using the new TV app.  So when I want to see which movies are actually downloaded on my iPad, there is no way. 

I have over 50 movies purchased thru iTunes, but only 5 are cartoons for my daughter. Her iPad now has to shows all 50. No way to hide the 40 that are mine, not age appropriate and not even downloaded on her iPad. 

U messed up big time on this one apple. The old Videos app was able to hide purchases. Why r we losing features in an update??
    I agree here - I can't find a way to hide purchases. I am not thrilled with choosing only what I have bought. I have a lot of self-converted shows and movies in iTunes that I sync now and then when I want to watch them on my iPad or take to a friend's house to stream onto his Apple TV. 
  • Reply 31 of 43
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    shywizard said:

Just in case you haven't already...

http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html
  • Reply 32 of 43
    npsnps Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    peterhart said:
    shywizard said:

I agree here - I can't find a way to hide purchases. I am not thrilled with choosing only what I have bought. I have a lot of self-converted shows and movies in iTunes that I sync now and then when I want to watch them on my iPad or take to a friend's house to stream onto his Apple TV. 
    The UI is bad - but picking Downloaded in upper left will only show the downloaded content - Yup agree that hiding purchased but not downloaded content should be an option - better option would have been to allow us to STILL install the VIdeos app as a fallback (can't find a way to do that)
    Naiyas
  • Reply 33 of 43
    TV app is buggy. Updated iPad Air to 10.2. Downloaded several TV shows in the new app for flight to Dallas. On the plane, nothing but white screen and spinning dial. Don't update to 10.2 if you watch videos on your phone or iPad...
  • Reply 34 of 43
    I have since learned as well, that the "Downloaded" tab will show JUST purchased content.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7784435?start=0&tstart=0
    It's a relief to know that there is a Downloaded Tab to see just the stuff on my device (not cloud).

HOWEVER, this doesn't solve the issue that my 7 year old daughter still has access to all the iCloud movies under the Movie Tab (cause it's a family account) and now she can click into any 'R' rated movies and watch whenever she wants.  THERE NEEDS TO BE A WAY TO BLOCK FAMILY MEMBERS FROM SEEING ALL THE MOVIES.

By showing only movies actually downloaded to a device, that served as a parental control 'in a sense'.

• Reply 35 of 43
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    mobird said:
    Looks like Apple nixed the SOS feature seen in earlier Beta versions. 
    It's India only.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 36 of 43
    waverboy said:

I'm not sure what this article and newer ones published today (such as CNBC) are talking about, because Netflix definitely has a presence on the TV app. For past seasons of The Walking Dead, the TV app gives me the option to either play an episode on Netflix or pay $2.99 to buy it on iTunes. For House of Cards, it says I can play an episode on Netflix.
  • Reply 37 of 43

Anybody notice after installing this update on iPhone 7 Plus when talking to someone or leaving someone a voicemail message, it sounds like snow or distorted noise in the background? My call quality used to be nice and clear, not anymore after this update. I sure hope they come out with an update soon to fix this...

edited December 2016
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Does anyone know a work around for the change in contact photos in Messages? I always had my settings set so that in the Messages list I did NOT see the photos, but in the individual messages/texts, the contact photo would be there. Now, I can only choose between having the contact photos in both views, or no contact photos at all.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    shywizard said:

I have since learned as well, that the "Downloaded" tab will show JUST purchased content.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7784435?start=0&tstart=0
    It's a relief to know that there is a Downloaded Tab to see just the stuff on my device (not cloud).

I'm guessing you must be on an iPad, since I can find no such tab on my iPhone 6 Plus. All that appears in the upper-left corner is "Store."

In the "Videos" section of Settings there's a switch for "Show iTunes Purchases" which USED TO hide purchased-but-not-downloaded titles. Now switching it on and off makes no difference. That makes me wonder if this phenomenon is a bug and not deliberate.

I hope there's a solution. Seeing all my purchases is of no value whatsoever when I'm riding the subway with no internet connection. I don't wanna wade through hundreds of titles to find the couple dozen I've loaded onto my phone to watch while commuting.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    maclvr03 said:
    F1Tyler said:
    If this doesn't fix the Bluetooth/car issue on my iphone7 I will snap
    What is your issue with your Bluetooth? Mine is, even when I have Podcasts downloaded it's as if its streaming and skips a lot. Never happened before on my iPhone 6 and iOS 9.

Not that it's a big deal but something I don't get. Why on the emoji's for the families you can't change the color? Drives me crazy,
    My Bluetooth car issue IS FINALLY fixed! Woo hoo!! Thanks Apple.