Apple releases watchOS 3.1.1 with fixes for notifications, Activity rings, more

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple's wearable mobile operating system received a minor maintenance update on Monday, with watchOS 3.1.1 bringing a range of bug fixes for the Apple Watch.

watchOS 3.1.1 is now available to download via the official Apple Watch app. Installing it requires that the Apple Watch itself be connected to power and have more than 50 percent battery remaining.

The update includes improvements and bug fixes. Items singled out by Apple are:
  • Fixes an issue that could prevent contact names from appearing in the Messages app and notifications
  • Fixes an issue that could impact ability to respond to notifications
  • Resolves an issue where the Stocks complication may not update on the watch face
  • Fixes an issue that may prevent the Activity rings from displaying on the Activity watch faces
  • Fixes an issue that prevented the dials on an analog watch face from appearing after changing the temperature unit in the Weather app
  • Resolves an issue that could cause the Maps app to stay launched after navigation has ended
  • Resolves an issue where the incorrect date could be displayed in the Calendar app month view
A total of four pre-release betas of watchOS 3.1.1 were issued to developers before Monday's official public launch. It arrives alongside iOS 10.2 and tvOS 10.1, both of which gain the new "TV" app.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    What am I doing wrong?
    Every time I get a new iPhone and sometimes after watchOS update, the data on my Apple Watch, like achievements, disappears. It's lame. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    What am I doing wrong?
    Every time I get a new iPhone and sometimes after watchOS update, the data on my Apple Watch, like achievements, disappears. It's lame. 
    New iPhone? Are you starting from a recent backup of all your data from the previous iPhone, 'cause that's where it's stored. 
  • Reply 3 of 9
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    But have they fixed the DND notification issue...?
    Which issue is that?  My stupid watch gives me a "Message did not send" for EVERY GD message I send from the watch using Siri. Replies are OK, but getting a notification 40m later that a message didn't send when it effing DID (because I got a reply) is pretty frustrating.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    This update has seriously improved my battery life, 3.1 made no difference for me but I'm now sitting at 80% after 10 hours light use. Fantastic!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    What am I doing wrong?
    New iPhone? Are you starting from a recent backup of all your data from the previous iPhone, 'cause that's where it's stored. 
    You also need to turn on Encryption so everything on your phone is backed up!!! That includes activity stuff I believe that the watch uses. If Encryption is not turned on when you backup your phone, you'll lose that stuff.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    AppleBumAppleBum Posts: 37unconfirmed, member
    Was this update only for the Gen 2 watches? I have a Gen 1.5 and when I check for updates, the Watch app tells me that it's up-to-date with 3.1.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 7 of 9
    This update is bricking some Apple Watches. I set mine to update correctly last night. This morning the status was stuck at 100%. Restarting the watch gave me the red exclamation mark and a trip to the Apple Store. The Apple Care representitive said they are having a lot of people with the same issue this morning.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Went to look for it today, and appears they pulled the update as its no longer there for me, and I'm still on 3.1