Sierra insists on converting a lot of my movies (and fails) that worked in 10.11

Posted:
in macOS
So I had a lot of movies that I had carefully converted to m4v and annotated with MetaZ, but now neither iTunes, nor Quicktime will play them.  It will start converting them in quicktime and then just give up.  

Also, forgive me if this has been addressed.  I haven't been on these forums for a long time and when I returned I can't figure out how to search the forums.  I assumed the general search bar for the site will include forums, but nothing seems to turn up.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    So I had a lot of movies that I had carefully converted to m4v and annotated with MetaZ, but now neither iTunes, nor Quicktime will play them.  It will start converting them in quicktime and then just give up.  
    Try using Quicktime 7:

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

If the files play ok, there might be a problem with the audio format or some other parts of the movie. You can check the format with window menu > show movie properties or the inspector and it will show video and audio format. Quicktime 7 Pro (once you put in the registration code) lets you do exports and you can do passthrough export so you don't have to encode the video again. If the audio just needs converted to work in the newer Quicktime, you'd just export to MP4, set video to passthrough and set audio to AAC or use quicktime mov export if you need other formats and it will export quickly. Quicktime 7 should be able to export something compatible with Quicktime X without doing a full encode.
    edited December 2016