United Airlines, GoDaddy & Causemo among latest businesses offering Apple Pay

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple Pay support grew on Wednesday with support from a few more companies, including United Airlines, domain service GoDaddy, and donation platform Causemo.

United is supporting Apple Pay in its iOS app. People can use the app to book single and multi-point trips, as well as flight upgrades when available. Another new option is PayPal, still the most common online payment method.

GoDaddy is offering Apple Pay to merchants operating online stores, as long as they enable mobile credit card payments through Stripe.

Causemo -- which has clients like the Boys & Girls Clubs of America, and Keep America Beautiful -- is activating Web-based Apple Pay, which should in fact appear as the default payment option on compatible devices running Safari. When donors visit a site using Causemo, Apple's technology will let them skip entering any billing or contact information, and in theory provide extra security.

Wider merchant acceptance remains a problem for Apple Pay. The platform is currently supported by 35 percent of U.S. merchants, but many still don't offer it, among them major chains. One of the bigger obstacles is infrastructure, since retailers must often upgrade payment terminals to make them compatible with the NFC chips in iPhones and Apple Watches.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Used to use GoDaddy. Terrible business. I had some domains that they swiped then tried to resell to me at a higher price. Very unethical. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 2 of 4

I was pleasantly surprised to see that the Priceline app accepts Apple Pay.  In my area, the number of merchants who accept it is fairly low, and some of those who ostensibly do apparently don't have something set up correctly, because it doesn't work.

I definitely use it when I can, though.

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 4
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Except United sucks! I wouldn't use United even if they were $200 cheaper. No thank you!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

Of course GoDaddy takes ApplePay, any way they can get money out of you, they will. They need it to pay for all the models in their "banned" ads that they never intended to be shown on TV.

Really, I can't think of any aspect of their business that isn't repulsive. They don't even sponsor podcasts anymore.

Anyway, it's good that Apple is getting people signing up for ApplePay.