Six-month Campus 2 timelapse shows future Apple HQ's race to completion

Posted:
in General Discussion
A new aerial timelapse of Apple's future Cupertino headquarters, Campus 2, shows that while significant construction progress has been made, there is still an ample of amount work left before it resembles a polished corporate complex.

While some satellite structures like the R&D building and the parking garage appear mostly complete in the drone video, shot by Matthew Roberts, other aspects like Phase 2 and the primary access tunnel are still in a rough state, and indeed even the main ring -- the so-called "spaceship" -- has plenty of construction ahead.

Landscaping -- which only began a few months ago -- is still in its early stages, as most of the grounds are covered in bare dirt and many trees have yet to be planted. Indeed, landscaping work is scheduled to continue into at least the second quarter of 2017, long past when the rest of the campus will be finished.

Officially, building construction is supposed to be done by the start of next year. The Roberts video suggests that crews will miss that goal, though it might be possible for the first Apple teams to move in by February or March.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Less a time-lapse and more a sequential video of each area of the campus. Sometimes hard to follow as the sequential videos are shot from different angles.
    patchythepirate[Deleted User]
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Loop 2 is surely coming into its own. I am impressed and can't wait to see it in person and / or see photos of people milling about and the campus fully occupied.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    masnick said:
    Less a time-lapse and more a sequential video of each area of the campus. Sometimes hard to follow as the sequential videos are shot from different angles.
    I also felt it was tough to watch.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 4 of 13

Loop 2 is surely coming into its own. I am impressed and can't wait to see it in person and / or see photos of people milling about and the campus fully occupied.
    The R&D building on the campus had wooden tables inside as of last month.
    edited December 2016 holyone
  • Reply 5 of 13
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    masnick said:
    Not a time-lapse at all, in fact. The way the video was divided into geographical areas makes it hard to keep track of. The time is re-set for each location, and the shots are from a multitude of angles. I love watching these progress videos but this one is the worst one. Fixed camera time-lapses of each building would have been great.
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 13
    paxman said:
    Fixed camera time-lapses of each building would have been great.
    When trying to watch this I was hoping Apple setup many fixed camera stand for that very thing, as well as had a crew documenting the progress and detailing the technologies and innovations used.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    When trying to watch this I was hoping Apple setup many fixed camera stand for that very thing, as well as had a crew documenting the progress and detailing the technologies and innovations used.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't actually filming the development of the construction phases. It would be really cool of Apple to make a video (they LOVE making videos!) of the development of their new campus when its all finished inside and out. 

They certainly have come a long ways since June. People want to complain about the pushing back of the completion/move in date, but I think we need to step back and realize the scale of this project. This is a huge building with other buildings around it. And, its also a very complex building to construct. This isn't your standard vertical building. I'd rather they made sure things were right instead of rushing and overlooking things that could be prevented while construction is still in progress. I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see staff moving in until around Spring 2017 (April/May'ish). 
  • Reply 8 of 13
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    I cannot imagine Apple has not recorded the construction of this site & buildings in great detail, including many locked camera positions. I am sure Apple views this project as a product and they will feel very proud of it and will want to show the world. They also know that when they release the mother of all product videos it will go viral and give them endless free marketing. When / if they will offer guided tours they will have videos to show the construction and lots of interviews and ponderings by Jony. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be a 3d movie coming to an IMAX theatre near you within a year or two from now :smile: 

• Reply 9 of 13
    This video will be useful for designing Samsung's next headquarters building.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    I was kinda hoping for something like that too, also that those drone videos were secretly short by Apple, and that that guy was just a cover, but at this point I doubt it, it would have been nice to have official progress videos from Apple, I means it's not like they don't know Apple fans would be more than interested in this, they went and made a book for haven's sakes, bet more people would be more interested in this, like a monthly 15min thing on you-tube or something, with better info directly from the project, and spare us from the gussing game as nice as it has been, something official would've been nice, I'm sure they could shoot a 12 segment min doco on this, one every month ? Apple these days less hits more misses, and it's like basic things too
  • Reply 11 of 13
    macxpress said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see staff moving in until around Spring 2017 (April/May'ish). 
    Because of the scale I expect non-construction/setup staff in soon, if not already. Remember there are many, many buildings for this project, and many are across the street of the ring.

A couple examples:
    1. A small, independent group that can be moved into one of the completed room or rooms.
    2. Food services staff in the atrium that will mostly serve the construction crew for the time being but are there to continue to set up and work out kinks in their new restaurant(s).
  • Reply 12 of 13
    paxman said:
    Soli said:
    paxman said:
    I cannot imagine Apple has not recorded the construction of this site & buildings in great detail, including many locked camera positions. I am sure Apple views this project as a product and they will feel very proud of it and will want to show the world. They also know that when they release the mother of all product videos it will go viral and give them endless free marketing. When / if they will offer guided tours they will have videos to show the construction and lots of interviews and ponderings by Jony. I wouldn't be surprised if this will be a 3d movie coming to an IMAX theatre near you within a year or two from now :smile: 

I hope so! I would watch it over and over. This building is fascinating and so meticulously thought out. For instance the auditorium experience, with a cherry tree-lined path, and a mound/hill behind obscuring the view of the parking structure, while an opening in the trees teases the spaceship in the distance, just out of reach.

Hmm, how to get invited.. I just need to find a unique and compelling argument about how Apple is doomed, write an excessively whiny, douchey op-ed for Bloomberg, Forbes, or NYT.. then boom, I'll be on my way to becoming an official Apple journalist!

holyone
  • Reply 13 of 13
    This video will be useful for designing Samsung's next headquarters building.
    Samsung's building will be a "squircle".
    macxpress