Review: Apple's new wireless AirPods put a smile on 2016

Comments

• Reply 41 of 92
    The sound on these is actually more full than the EarPods! More bass and range. I'd give them a 5/5 too. I'm excited for my new wireless life with no more cord tangles or catches on door handles. 
    williamlondonmacguiDave Spence
  • Reply 42 of 92
    After using it for 3 days, I say I agree with the review (and overwhelming positive other reviews online), and if Apple can perfect the volume control (not that I have a problem with it with my Watch), I would give the score 6 out of 5. Yes, it does exceeded expectation. Note that the volume control can be added in the software since the buds already capable of mechanical tapping.

Airpods is such a product that very Apple-ish. It does only 1 thing: wireless earphone, but does it very well, perfecting the way Bluetooth annoying connection, multiple devices sharing, smart ear detector and true cordless. Design wise, very eve-ish. Sleek, white, minimalist. Of course improvements are always welcome, but for now, it is the best product of its kind.
    edited December 2016 williamlondonDave Spence
  • Reply 43 of 92
    The positive reviews are making this soo tempting, the tech really cool, but it is too pricey for me. Sadly, there will probably only be coal in my Christmas stocking.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 44 of 92
    From now on, it will be a lot of smashing head robbery 
  • Reply 45 of 92
    idreyidrey Posts: 638member
    can we please have a black version... !
    Totally! They would look so good in black.
  • Reply 46 of 92
    I must admit to having built my enthusiasm for purchasing and using AirPods to a level which I must now redress. They are, in many respects, exactly as I imagined they'd be...a breeze to use as audio transducers and noise cancelling microphone. The package is elegantly designed and its functionality well executed... psst...Someone needs to make a silicon sleeve for the case to protect its gloss white finish.

The following is written as an audio/music buff: This is where the AirPods so woefully fail to deliver. The mid-range frequencies are too hard and reminiscent of the sound one got from early CD players. In fact the AirPods have now twice induced a headache once I exceed 1.5-2 hours continuous use. AirPods fall well short of "Audiophile" quality earphones. My wired Etymotics trounce the AirPods in every area of sound reproduction.

I would love too see Apple have the guts to publish independent test measurements for the AirPods; e.g., frequency response, s-n, distortion, separation, phase, and other measurements to boot. Alas, I cannot see that happening.

Given they are 1st generation some leeway should be given. Oh, and the price reduced by $25.00.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 47 of 92

The following is written as an audio/music buff: This is where the AirPods so woefully fail to deliver. The mid-range frequencies are too hard and reminiscent of the sound one got from early CD players. In fact the AirPods have now twice induced a headache once I exceed 1.5-2 hours continuous use. AirPods fall well short of "Audiophile" quality earphones. My wired Etymotics trounce the AirPods in every area of sound reproduction.

I would love too see Apple have the guts to publish independent test measurements for the AirPods; e.g., frequency response, s-n, distortion, separation, phase, and other measurements to boot. Alas, I cannot see that happening.

Given they are 1st generation some leeway should be given. Oh, and the price reduced by $25.00.
    Funny that you mentioned Etymotic, because I have hf5 which costed me $200 with a very decent sound quality and poor comfort. I hate it so much I throw it out to ebay in a week. Sound is okay for a cord earphone but it is really uncomfortable in my ears, not to mention the cheap quality feel considering it cost almost $50 more than Airpods. I think the easy use and sleek comfort of Airpods alone easily trounce Etymotic, while sound quality is highly subjective, I prefer Airpods sound.
    edited December 2016 williamlondonDave Spence
  • Reply 48 of 92
    levilevi Posts: 298member
    sog35 said:
    talexy said:
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    Wow.

First 5 out of 5 I've seen on this site.

I agree 100%

This thing has literally changed my life and made my life more enjoyable.

A key is to pair this with an Apple watch so you can easily skip tracks and adjust volume.

Only problem i have is the double tap to envoke Siri does not work. I don't know why. Tried it dozens of times.
    You have to tap pretty hard. It's more like a finger hit
    I've tried it. VERY HARD. Still does not work.

probably will return it for a new pair when these are in stock in a few months.
    I read something about settings for the AirPods, where you could choose between basic tap controls and Siri. Tried that?
    Yes. I switched between, Pause/Play, and Siri.  Even switched it to off and on again.

None of them worked. 

probably defective, but won't return it until I can get another pair off the shelf
    I suspect you know this already, but be sure toured doing a 'firm' double tap. 
  • Reply 49 of 92
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,348member
    A great review, because of the personal and detailed observations that matter. Also, thanks to others for some good posts here.

Looking forward to getting mine. Looks like Apple is working hard on wearable AR.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 50 of 92
    sog35 said:
    Only problem i have is the double tap to envoke Siri does not work. I don't know why. Tried it dozens of times.

The key is to realize that it's NOT a "double-touch"... it's an accelerometer based "double-tap".  The _movement_ is what triggers it.  Just smack your ear twice.

After a while you start to learn just how much movement is needed and what kind of movement is best.  I've got it down pretty well at this point.
    kevin keeDave Spence
  • Reply 51 of 92

michelb76 said:
    Have you used it in places where there is no or bad internet connectivity? Hearing reports that for example in subways(generally no connection) you cannot change the volume on the earpods themselves..
    You can't use Siri anywhere you can't use Siri... the AirPods didn't change that.

Like the reviewer mentioned... these really work best if you also have an Apple Watch... because you can do all of those activities on the Apple Watch without taking out your phone (even when Internet access isn't available).

Your other option, of course, is just to pull out your phone and change the volume ;-)
    SoliDave Spence
  • Reply 52 of 92
    viclauyyc said:
    From now on, it will be a lot of smashing head robbery 

Why do you think these will be more popular for robbery than wireless headphones?

I commute via subway everyday with my Beats Studio Wireless headphones on.  They are double the price of AirPods and _MUCH_ easier to steal.  All you have to do is rip them off my head and run out.  You get everything you need.  Even with that I don't hesitate to use them.

With AirPods it will be essentially impossible to quickly snatch everything from someone.  Even grabbing one is tough... they are small and really close to your head.

Even if you grab one... how are you going to sell it?  Who's going to buy it?  Without the other one and without a way to charge it it's useless.

Grabbing both is going to be exceedingly difficult.  I have no doubt that a thief could get good at it and get it done... but there are going to be very limited opportunities to deploy that skill.  And...

The big problem is that even if you steal the AirPod earbuds... you don't get the charging case!  What good are the earbuds without the ability to charge (or even pair them!).  We haven't even heard yet if there's going to be an ability for you to buy a charging case separately (but we do know you can buy earbuds separately).

In general: for the low price ($160 is really not much) and for all of the problems... I can't see thieves really caring about this much.

That said: it _will_ happen... and when it does we're going to hear ALL about it... on every damn website.
    SoliDave Spence
  • Reply 53 of 92

2. Siri phrases for direct volume level ("Set volume 80%")

"Set volume to 80%"

That one works fine and is very convenient.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 54 of 92
    SoliSoli Posts: 2,823member
    dacloo said:
    "Review: Apple's new wireless AirPods put a smile on 2016"

Somebody hand over a vomit bag please. 

Was this a sponsored article btw?
    Why would you think it's sponsored simply because it's a positive review of technology? What about AirPods do you think are so shitty that a positive review is questionable?
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 55 of 92
    chromos said:
    sog35 said:
    andrewj5790 said:

Try to tap with your fingernail instead of the fleshy part of your finger.
    Actually it's controlled by the accelerometer. So all it needs is a certain type of jiggle. Fingertip or fleshy part of the finger doesn't matter. Don't try too hard and don't try to sort,  just tap tap. Works fine for me.
    Soli
  • Reply 56 of 92
    chromos said:
    sog35 said:
    andrewj5790 said:

Try to tap with your fingernail instead of the fleshy part of your finger.
    Actually it's controlled by the accelerometer. So all it needs is a certain type of jiggle. Fingertip or fleshy part of the finger doesn't matter. Don't try too hard and don't try to sort,  just tap tap. Works fine for me.
    For me it works by just 'tap to move it slightly'. It's not 'tap to press it', on the contrary, you need to 'move it'. As someone pointed out, it's not a button somewhere in there, but the movement is the one which activate Siri.
  • Reply 57 of 92
    dacloo said:

Hey, we've placed a vomit bag for you on the other side of the door. Go get it like a good boy and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

williamlondonStrangeDaysbrucemcDave Spence
  • Reply 58 of 92
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 1,685member
    dacloo said:

Yes, it's sooooo annoying when Apple gets something right, isn't it.
    williamlondonStrangeDaysbrucemcDave Spence
  • Reply 59 of 92

djsherly said:
    Dang, somebody got paid for writing an article...
    With your logic, I guess no one can write a positive article about a product they really liked. 
    I'm sure they're amazing headphones, but effusive isn't the word I'd use for this article. Fawning might be a better one. 
    Why? Because he really liked the product? The product that has people lining up outside of stores for? If he found it to be as good as hope, why on earth wouldn't be enthusiastic in his article? Should he throw in some made-up negatives in an attempt to be perceived as "fair & balanced"? I think that would be disingenuous..
    Allow me to go back... 

"I'm sure they're amazing headphones"

It's a comment on his writing style, his assessment that these headphones cancelled out all the bad of 2016 (I don't think he meant solely from an Apple perspective, btw) was particularly ridiculous. It's one of those things I'm sure he'll read in a few years and cringe. 

Btw he messed up a statement. I'm pretty sure it's the "intersection of technology and the liberal arts", not the "corner".

at 0:50

• Reply 60 of 92
    My only annoyance is if I leave the airpods out their case, the battery continues to drain even when no device is connected to them. No auto-off I suspect, something that can be fixed with a software update I hope. I'm using my watch as the physical controls, seems to be the best option for quickly changing the volume without pulling out the phone. For any London-based readers, yes these are just as bad on tube for sound leakage. I've had to switch on subtitles so I can still watch stuff on the commute!