Review: Apple's new wireless AirPods put a smile on 2016

Comments

• Reply 61 of 92
    Soli said:
    dacloo said:
    "Review: Apple's new wireless AirPods put a smile on 2016"

Somebody hand over a vomit bag please. 

Was this a sponsored article btw?
    Why would you think it's sponsored simply because it's a positive review of technology? What about AirPods do you think are so shitty that a positive review is questionable?
    Because it goes against his forced narrative about Apple sucking. 
    brucemcmac_128
  • Reply 62 of 92
    djsherly said:

djsherly said:
    Dang, somebody got paid for writing an article...
    With your logic, I guess no one can write a positive article about a product they really liked. 
    I'm sure they're amazing headphones, but effusive isn't the word I'd use for this article. Fawning might be a better one. 
    Why? Because he really liked the product? The product that has people lining up outside of stores for? If he found it to be as good as hope, why on earth wouldn't be enthusiastic in his article? Should he throw in some made-up negatives in an attempt to be perceived as "fair & balanced"? I think that would be disingenuous..
    Allow me to go back... 

"I'm sure they're amazing headphones"

It's a comment on his writing style, his assessment that these headphones cancelled out all the bad of 2016 (I don't think he meant solely from an Apple perspective, btw) was particularly ridiculous. It's one of those things I'm sure he'll read in a few years and cringe. 

Btw he messed up a statement. I'm pretty sure it's the "intersection of technology and the liberal arts", not the "corner".

at 0:50

That's your criticism? Corner vs intersection? Try harder man. 
    brucemcmac_128macgui
  • Reply 63 of 92
    woot -- my AirPods have shipped! originally slated as a 4-week delay for mid January, they'll now be here tuesday!

This confirms that it would have been a terrible idea to sit on all of them indefinitely until every order could be fulfilled at once, as was suggested by somebody. Sell the inventory you have and continue selling it as you catch up!
    brucemcmac_128
  • Reply 64 of 92
    friedmud said:

michelb76 said:
    Have you used it in places where there is no or bad internet connectivity? Hearing reports that for example in subways(generally no connection) you cannot change the volume on the earpods themselves..
    You can't use Siri anywhere you can't use Siri... the AirPods didn't change that.

Like the reviewer mentioned... these really work best if you also have an Apple Watch... because you can do all of those activities on the Apple Watch without taking out your phone (even when Internet access isn't available).

Your other option, of course, is just to pull out your phone and change the volume ;-)
    For this kind of use (voice controlled playback plus options), it would be better if the commands were resolved directly on the phone seeing as the controls themselves are very limited. For other Siri stuff a data connection could be used just as it is now.
  • Reply 65 of 92
    Soli said:
    dacloo said:
    "Review: Apple's new wireless AirPods put a smile on 2016"

Somebody hand over a vomit bag please. 

Was this a sponsored article btw?
    Why would you think it's sponsored simply because it's a positive review of technology? What about AirPods do you think are so shitty that a positive review is questionable?
    Although the review is informative, it is excessively sugary and sometimes blurs the lines between objective and subjective opinion.

The opening is about the joys of wireless headphones. I think we've all had some at one point or another and understand that not having cables to get tangled or tugged is an advantage. It's nothing new. You go past the first ten paragraphs and you are still not really into the review. It's almost as if the reader is being pitched to.

For the price and size of these things I wouldn't expect audiophile quality in the first place but when the issue is touched on, it is placed behind the defensive shield of 'physics', or the idea was to get you to justify any limitations on sound quality by understanding that there are limits to what can be done because of physics. That isn't really the case, the lack of better sound isnt due to physics. 

Someone else said that the reviewer might re-read the aarticle in a few years and cringe. That might be the case.

Whenever I read any of Daniel's pieces I turn on my sugar filters and extract the facts as best I can. They are there.

I think that gives you an idea why the OP mentioned the article being sponsored (probably tongue in cheek). Someone else said he was fawning. I can understand these comments.

As for the Pods themselves, they are a good first step. Now we need a solution for people with ears that can't hold them or that do so uncomfortably. Even if it means using hooks or bands while keeping the overall design discrete.
    edited December 2016 mac_128
  • Reply 66 of 92
    My only annoyance is if I leave the airpods out their case, the battery continues to drain even when no device is connected to them. No auto-off I suspect, something that can be fixed with a software update I hope. I'm using my watch as the physical controls, seems to be the best option for quickly changing the volume without pulling out the phone
  • Reply 67 of 92
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,006member
    Rough summary of the comments:
    - Those who have received and used the AirPods overwhelming agree with the reviewer that they are a great product and deserve a 5/5.
    - Concern trolls who do not have them (and likely never will) consider the review biased, and have lots of criticism of the product, and also think the article had some grammatical issues.

...just another day on the Internet...
    StrangeDaysmac_128iosenthusiastmacguiapplepieguyapplepieguyDave Spence
  • Reply 68 of 92
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,006member
    Wish List:
      1. Siri for audio controls w/o iPhone (e.g., with Watch)
      2. Siri phrases for direct volume level ("Set volume 80%")
      3. Software update to handle user taps differently in each AirPod.  e.g.,:
               Left AirPod = Volume
                   - Single Tap   = lower volume
                   - Double Tap = higher volume
                Right AirPod = Play / Pause
                   - Single Tap  = toggle Play / Pause
                   - Double Tap = Siri
    I certainly hope that Apple has some big improvements planned for Siri for localized control.  This would I imagine be part of a new iPhone with specific custom silicon dedicated to local voice/speech recognition (like the dedicated image processing).  From there it can be determined if the request is for information, or some localized control like audio, setting reminders, opening apps, etc.  For Apple, this use of custom silicon would be increasing the value of the device, rather than taking the approach that it is all about the cloud (benefits Google, not Apple).

As for the Watch, that will take a future version with its own mobile data service to utilize its own Siri.

Agree with the different taps or other gestures to control audio - likely a version 2 type product.

Really looking to see if Santa was able to get me a pair of these...
    mac_128
  • Reply 69 of 92
    djsherly said:

djsherly said:
    With your logic, I guess no one can write a positive article about a product they really liked. 
    I'm sure they're amazing headphones, but effusive isn't the word I'd use for this article. Fawning might be a better one. 
    Why? Because he really liked the product? The product that has people lining up outside of stores for? If he found it to be as good as hope, why on earth wouldn't be enthusiastic in his article? Should he throw in some made-up negatives in an attempt to be perceived as "fair & balanced"? I think that would be disingenuous..
    Allow me to go back... 

It's a comment on his writing style, his assessment that these headphones cancelled out all the bad of 2016 (I don't think he meant solely from an Apple perspective, btw) was particularly ridiculous. It's one of those things I'm sure he'll read in a few years and cringe. 

Btw he messed up a statement. I'm pretty sure it's the "intersection of technology and the liberal arts", not the "corner".

My criticism was that the article was fawning. I was pointing out that a favourite quote was incorrectly referenced as a side note. It was a btw. Did you miss that?

maybe it's not me who should be trying harder. 
    avon b7mac_128
  • Reply 70 of 92
    djsherly said:
    djsherly said:

djsherly said:
    Allow me to go back... 

My criticism was that the article was fawning. I was pointing out that a favourite quote was incorrectly referenced as a side note. It was a btw. Did you miss that?

No, I got it, but your attempt at trolling the review is just pretty weak. He wasn't quoting the line from Jobs, he was referring to it conceptually, thus there is absolutely nothing "incorrect" about saying the word corner instead of the word intersection since they're completely analogous. Troll fail. 

As others noted above, only those trying hard to find things to dislike about the product and Apple are having issues with the review as written. If you can no longer criticize the product, then criticizing the review seems to be your next step. Weak. 
    mac_128Dave Spence
  • Reply 71 of 92
    djsherly said:
    djsherly said:

djsherly said:
    Allow me to go back... 

No, I got it, but your attempt at trolling the review is just pretty weak. He wasn't quoting the line from Jobs, he was referring to it conceptually, thus there is absolutely nothing "incorrect" about saying the word corner instead of the word intersection since they're completely analogous. Troll fail. 

As others noted above, only those trying hard to find things to dislike about the product and Apple are having issues with the review as written. If you can no longer criticize the product, then criticizing the review seems to be your next step. Weak. 
    As far as I know, it's only Apple who have painted themselves at that intersection. And for someone whose knowledge is as all encompassing as mr dilgers, I'm surprised he got it wrong. I'm not sure who is trolling who here. I started out by saying it's probably amazing, the product, but the article is fawning. I'd hardly call that a troll. 

And yet you still miss the bit where I did not criticise the product. At all. I won't make a secret of my dislike of dilgers perspective. I think he's over the top and completely apologetic. Apple could stab him in the eyes and he'd spin it as an opportunity to fine tune his hearing. Which is what he wanted all along. But he didn't realise it. 

avon b7
  • Reply 72 of 92
    djsherly said:
    djsherly said:
    djsherly said:

djsherly said:
    Allow me to go back... 

As far as I know, it's only Apple who have painted themselves at that intersection. And for someone whose knowledge is as all encompassing as mr dilgers, I'm surprised he got it wrong. I'm not sure who is trolling who here. I started out by saying it's probably amazing, the product, but the article is fawning. I'd hardly call that a troll. 

And yet you still miss the bit where I did not criticise the product. At all. I won't make a secret of my dislike of dilgers perspective. I think he's over the top and completely apologetic. Apple could stab him in the eyes and he'd spin it as an opportunity to fine tune his hearing. Which is what he wanted all along. But he didn't realise it. 
    Again, he didn't get it wrong. Because it's not a direct quote, he doesn't have to use the same exact words. English language has synonyms for a reason. Do you know what synonymous means? Do you know what paraphrasing is?

Its pretty clear you're taking the article personally for some reason. Coming here to bag on the article because you don't like the writer is the definition of trolling. You are a troll. 
  • Reply 73 of 92
    macguimacgui Posts: 263member
    Rayz2016 said:
    2016 was a great year.

It wasn't their best, for sure, but it certainly wasn't as bad as many would have you believe.
    That depends on who you lost.
  • Reply 74 of 92
    woodworks said:
    Eric_WVGG said:
    I've heard that Airpods don't work so hot, where the bluetooth signal doesn't benefit from walls to bounce around.
    I've taken two hour-long walks outside while playing music, and I have noticed a few momentary dropouts. But they've all been less than a second interruptions. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. My guess is that most bluetooth headsets wouldn't perform any better. And being able to double-tap the ear bud and ask Siri to play anything in my library is kind of cool.
    I'm having similar issues. Seems like a short droput or skipping of a few bits. Kinda annoying, though I like hem overall and they sound really good.
    Where do you guys keep your phone? Jacket pocket or pants pocket? Arm band?
  • Reply 75 of 92
    lerchc said:
    The sound on these is actually more full than the EarPods! More bass and range. I'd give them a 5/5 too. I'm excited for my new wireless life with no more cord tangles or catches on door handles. 
    I can't wait! But I have to, missing the window. Audio performance was my main concern, with convenience a close second. While I absolutely look forward to the wireless aspect (because even normal BT headphones can be a drag) I wanted them to sound better than stock EarPods, (which fit me well). I like the Apple $80 pods well enough for casual use, so that was my benchmark. It looks like the AirPods will be everything I like.

Really appreciate the very thorough review. It answered every question I had and a couple I didn't know I had.
  • Reply 76 of 92
    brucemc said:
    Rough summary of the comments:
    - Those who have received and used the AirPods overwhelming agree with the reviewer that they are a great product and deserve a 5/5.
    - Concern trolls who do not have them (and likely never will) consider the review biased, and have lots of criticism of the product, and also think the article had some grammatical issues.

...just another day on the Internet...
    QED
  • Reply 77 of 92
    A question for some of you who've received the AirPods... Do you know if they will work with AppleTV 4th gen? Would be rather useful for late night TV watching around here.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 78 of 92
    Answering my own (earlier) Wish List item:
    • Siri phrases for direct volume level ("Set volume 80%")
    This almost works today.  Using Siri directly with the phone, you can say, "Set volume 80%" and it works!  I never knew that.  Unfortunately, when I speak that into Siri on my Watch it does NOT adjust the phone's playback volume.

For anyone with AirPods already.... can you say this phrase to the AirPod Siri and have it correctly adjust the playback volume?

Dave Spence
  • Reply 79 of 92

Unless I'm missing something that someone can kindly shed some light on, the volume control issues definitely need some work. I can connect my Airpods to my Bluetooth enabled tv/DVD but there appears to be no way to control the volume once connected. They connect at FULL volume regardless of how they were previously set. Apple's position is that once connected to an aux device it is up to that device to control volume. Problem is you need a device code for the Bluetooth to control the volume and Apple provides no such code. Any ideas?
    This is, at least for me a major problem. I believe in apple's goal of simplicity, but especially as one with hearing issues, these being of no use with my TV is a big deal.
    Dave Spence
  • Reply 80 of 92
    Who has tried these in a cold (Eastern weather) climate? Does the performance suffer? What about battery life? I know when my iPhone is exposed in -13c or colder the battery suffers big time.
    Dave Spence