Honda rolls out 2017 CR-V with support for Apple's CarPlay

Posted:
in iPhone
Honda on Wednesday launched the 2017 CR-V, adding another vehicle to its roster compatible with Apple's CarPlay platform.




The SUV offers both CarPlay and Android Auto on models equipped with a 7-inch touchscreen and Honda's Display Audio system. The automaker didn't immediately say which trims will have the technology as an option, or how much it might cost.

Prices for the CR-V start at $24,045, but can go up to $33,695 or more for a top-of-the-line Touring model with all-wheel drive.

Initially slow to offer CarPlay support, Honda now has several compatible models, among them 2016 and 2017 versions of the Accord and Civic. The technology is even on the Clarity, a fuel cell-powered sedan that in the U.S. is limited to California.

Globally, over 200 vehicles now offer CarPlay. The platform extends the iPhone interface to dash displays, with benefits like a simpler layout and easier Siri control.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 2,077member
    The automaker didn't immediately say which trims will have the technology as an option, or how much it might cost.

    Prices for the CR-V start at $24,045, but can go up to $33,695 or more for a top-of-the-line Touring model with all-wheel drive.
    Based on their website, it looks like all the 2017 CR-Vs have a "7-inch Display Audio with High-Resolution WVGA (800x480) Electrostatic Touch-Screen and Customizable Feature Settings" and therefore like access to CarPlay and Android Auto. The only change I'm seeing for the more expensive trims is their GPS system.

  • Reply 2 of 12
    A few years ago they couldn't sell stereo receivers unless they were iPod compatible. Now they are all iPod compatible. Now they can barely sell cars unless they are CarPlay compatible. I've asked many car salesmen "does this model support CarPlay?" You can be sure that feedback like that gets back to the CEO. And I've been waiting a long time for the CRV to support CarPlay so that I could go buy one. And now I will.
    chasm
  • Reply 3 of 12
    On one hand this is great that so many Honda models are getting CarPlay...on the other hand it is GREATLY disappointing that Honda's upscale brand ACURA is a virtual ghost town for CarPlay support. One would guess this to be on the upscale models before the everyday runners.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Great news!
    Another one in the bag.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    This is good news for Honda fans waiting to buy CR-V but holding for CarPlay. This is also a finger to Toyota and others who are waiting(God knows for what ?), way behind in supporting essential phone connectivity in their cars. I get surprised when someone buys new car/SUV and has no carplay/android auto not because they are not smart but unfortunately not well informed.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Soli said:
    The automaker didn't immediately say which trims will have the technology as an option, or how much it might cost.

    Prices for the CR-V start at $24,045, but can go up to $33,695 or more for a top-of-the-line Touring model with all-wheel drive.
    Based on their website, it looks like all the 2017 CR-Vs have a "7-inch Display Audio with High-Resolution WVGA (800x480) Electrostatic Touch-Screen and Customizable Feature Settings" and therefore like access to CarPlay and Android Auto. The only change I'm seeing for the more expensive trims is their GPS system.

    Actually....from their web site: "Apple CarPlay™* and Display Audio Touch-Screen standard on EX, EX-L and Touring." - i.e. it's not available on the LX trim.
    Solijohn.bidrey
  • Reply 7 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 2,077member
    tjwolf said:
    Soli said:
    The automaker didn't immediately say which trims will have the technology as an option, or how much it might cost.

    Prices for the CR-V start at $24,045, but can go up to $33,695 or more for a top-of-the-line Touring model with all-wheel drive.
    Based on their website, it looks like all the 2017 CR-Vs have a "7-inch Display Audio with High-Resolution WVGA (800x480) Electrostatic Touch-Screen and Customizable Feature Settings" and therefore like access to CarPlay and Android Auto. The only change I'm seeing for the more expensive trims is their GPS system.

    Actually....from their web site: "Apple CarPlay™* and Display Audio Touch-Screen standard on EX, EX-L and Touring." - i.e. it's not available on the LX trim.
    Thanks. I did not see that mentioned. A footnote?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Wake up me when Honda implements wireless CarPlay.

    So far, the only one appears to be the 2017 BMW 5-series.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 9 of 12
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,136member
    Perhaps I'm the only one who has no use for CarPlay. I drive 4.7 miles to the office and prefer silence.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    SoliSoli Posts: 2,077member
    volcan said:
    Perhaps I'm the only one who has no use for CarPlay. I drive 4.7 miles to the office and prefer silence.
    No use? You never use your car outside of that 4.7 mile drive? Never driving it for hours at a time on a road trip? Never taking a hands-free call?
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 1,277member
    volcan said:
    Perhaps I'm the only one who has no use for CarPlay. I drive 4.7 miles to the office and prefer silence.
    Er… thank you for sharing that.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    zroger73 said:
    Wake up me when Honda implements wireless CarPlay.

    So far, the only one appears to be the 2017 BMW 5-series.
    I charge my phone in the car. Streaming podcasts, GPS nav, Siri imessaging etc... I'm glad my phone is plugged in and charging. Just wish my head unit suppprred 2.1A charging as it's quite slow. 
Sign In or Register to comment.