AirPods selling out as quickly as they arrive at retail, Apple shipping orders faster than expected.

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's AirPods are by all measures a victory for the company, with Apple retail stores quickly blowing through received stock. However, online orders placed through Apple are in some cases shipping weeks earlier than advertised.

According to multiple reports on social media, Reddit claims, and tips to AppleInsider, people who ordered shortly after launch but were told that shipments wouldn't happen until 2017 are getting a surprise before the new year.

One AppleInsider reader who called their order "somewhat late" on Dec. 13 was originally given an estimated delivery of Jan. 12. On Thursday morning, the devices were updated, with expected delivery on Dec. 28.
"If Apple sent me a thousand sets, they'd be gone today" -- Apple Retail store manager
Other readers have similar accounts, with some even expecting to have the sought-after devices before Christmas.

AppleInsider once again inquired as to stock of the AirPods at Apple retail since launch. Two of the Apple Stores in question have still not received any stock, with six having received about 30 pairs since Monday's availability. Two of the stores we've been tracking, the initial two that said that they'd have 20 at launch, have sold "hundreds" since Monday.

The sought-after devices have been added to Apple online stock-tracker iStockNow, but with a noticeable difference between restock and actual quantity on hand.

"If we've got it, and you want it, don't wait," one Apple Retail manager told us. "Yeah, we're getting them in, more than corporate said that we would by a long shot, but man, do they sell out fast."

"If Apple sent me a thousand sets, they'd be gone today, and then another thousand tomorrow," a manager at a different Apple store told us. "I wish I had more."

In-store availability has yet to happen at our polled Target and Best Buy stores. However, both retailers can have the devices "shipped to store" when they are available on the online portals.

Apple's AirPods include the W1 chip for easy pairing and Bluetooth connectivity, as well as beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, and a small charging and carrying case. AppleInsider went hands-on with the $159 wireless headphones and came away impressed with their advanced technology and ease of use.

The fully wireless headphones come with a one-year warranty that covers audio defects and battery problems. Outside of that period, standard repairs are $69, battery service is $49, and replacement buds in the event of one being lost will cost $69 each.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Yeah after ordering a set from BestBuy online yesterday which should be here tomorrow...my Apple order randomly shipped today before I could cancel it. 
    albegarc
  • Reply 2 of 36
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    That's cool. I accidentally discovered that my wife ordered me a set for Christmas with a February delivery. I'd love to get them sooner.
    albegarc
  • Reply 3 of 36
    *mail-checking for updated AirPod shipment intensifies*
    albegarc
  • Reply 4 of 36
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    jgreg728 said:
    I got a text message from Apple today. I hardly knew that my phone # was in their system. Delivery went from Jan. 12 to Dec. 28.
    albegarcpscooter63adonissmuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 36
    sog35 said:
    But, but, but, but, no one wants them.

they look so UGLY....sound quality sucks. You will lose them. fall out of your ear....

too expensive. 

Stupid ass Tech media don't know shit
    Because its not "Tech Media". Its a bunch of dorks that wish they had the talent to actually work for a technology company, but are instead stuck writing about it...so instead of honest journalism, they use their platform to put forward their "ideas" on what technology companies should do...which is pathetic and amateur...and then are constantly at a loss for explaining why they were completely wrong about everything. Again. And again.
    edited December 2016 StrangeDayspscooter63lkrupplostkiwijkichlinemac_128lolliverwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 6 of 36
    flaneur said:
    jgreg728 said:
    I got a text message from Apple today. I hardly knew that my phone # was in their system. Delivery went from Jan. 12 to Dec. 28.
    Ditto here. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Mine were originally slated to ship in 4 weeks at time of order for delivery mid January, but today I received a note saying they've shipped and will be here Tuesday (two business days). Nice.

So much for the idea suggested on another thread that they should have sat on all their inventory until some random time next year when they could fulfill every single order at once! Good to see them selling what they have and making more and selling them as they roll off the line. Initial problem aside, Apple again shows it is king of moving inventory to its hoard of customers. Can't wait to start taking my daily meetings wirelessly.
    edited December 2016 pscooter63albegarclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    I think I'm going to ask for this for Christmas.  It will turn up late but well worth the wait.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 36
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,239member
    There's a lot to like about these, but the overall sense I get from reviews is that sound quality falls noticeably short of Bose wireless products.

So then it's really a tradeoff between audio quality and UI elegance. That's a tough choice because both are important. 

I'm leaning towards Bose, myself, but I can understand why people would pick the AirPods. 
    albegarc
  • Reply 10 of 36
    And most forecasts show this one product adding several billion dollars of revenue to Apple.  That's amazing for a single new product.
    albegarcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 36
    jgreg728 said:
    From the "Your Orders" page under your Apple account:

"You can edit your mobile phone number at any time by logging into your account and editing the Shipment or Pickup Notification preferences for your order. To stop notifications, reply to the text message with: STOP"

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 36
    blastdoor said:
    There's a lot to like about these, but the overall sense I get from reviews is that sound quality falls noticeably short of Bose wireless products.

So then it's really a tradeoff between audio quality and UI elegance. That's a tough choice because both are important. 

I'm leaning towards Bose, myself, but I can understand why people would pick the AirPods. 
    When has Bose ever made anything that sounded good? I do like their noise cancelling tech, but definitely do not think they sound "good" at all. Strictly for airplane use.
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 13 of 36
    And most forecasts show this one product adding several billion dollars of revenue to Apple.  That's amazing for a single new product.
    That's ROUGHLY 6.3 million units per billion dollars of revenue. (1B/159). They sell to dealers for a little less, but close enough. They also make more margin on every direct sale versus selling through an authorized reseller.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    mike1 said:
    blastdoor said:

When has Bose ever made anything that sounded good? I do like their noise cancelling tech, but definitely do not think they sound "good" at all. Strictly for airplane use.
    My understanding is that Blastdoor spends all his time at altitude, presumably in an airplane.
    edited December 2016 mike1StrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 36
    blastdoor said:

That's a non-choice for me because sound quality is just not more important than every other aspect. And to be clear, we're talking about the delta between Really Good and Great sound.
    StrangeDayslolliver
  • Reply 16 of 36
    sog35 said:
    But, but, but, but, no one wants them.

they look so UGLY....sound quality sucks. You will lose them. fall out of your ear....

too expensive. 

Stupid ass Tech media don't know shit
    But but but the headphone jack!
    albegarcmac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Let's hope they're sufficiently water resistant so that if your dog eats them, there might be a chance for eventual recovery and reuse, after a thorough washing, of course.
    SleepySheepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Let's hope they're sufficiently water resistant so that if your dog eats them, there might be a chance for eventual recovery and reuse, after a thorough washing, of course.
    Probably are.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/12/20/apple-airpods-charging-case-hold-up-to-torture-test-with-nothing-but-cosmetic-damage

• Reply 19 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    What did you expect when Apple forced users to buy them by removing the headphone jack without my permission!
    /sarcasm 

it's good to see they under-promised delivery dates. Otherwise the stock price would've tanked (illogically) if it was delayed again. 
    mac_128watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Um. I'll just buy another pair or file a loss claim. 
    mac_128watto_cobra