Apple debuts three videos promoting iBooks exclusive 'A Song of Ice and Fire' enhanced e-book

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Thursday shared three promotional videos touting the new enhanced edition of "A Song of Ice and Fire," on which HBO's hit show "Game of Thrones" is based, which landed as an exclusive in the iBooks Store in September.

As seen below, the new promo videos feature snippets of a fairly in-depth interview with author George R. R. Martin, who runs through a bit of "A Song of Ice and Fire" backstory and offers a taste of his epic by narrating select lines from the first tome, "A Game of Thrones." Interspersed throughout are stark watercolor illustrations of pivotal moments and themes central to the series.

"There's a line in the books where I say, 'The reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who does not read lives only one,' and for me that's been true. The life of the imagination has made my own life much richer," Martin says. "It allows us to walk to the forests of the night, and see wonders and terrors. It's painted in broad strokes."

Martin goes on to describe the beginnings of "A Song of Ice and Fire," explaining his attempts to convey to readers what he sees in his head. With digital technology the storytelling process is greatly enhanced, allowing authors to create fully fleshed out realities far beyond what is possible with traditional publishing. For example, Martin's enhanced iBooks editions feature special illustrations, secondary material and more.

"These enhanced editions include sigils and family trees," Martin says of the enhanced e-books available on the iBooks Store. "They also contain all this background material and glossaries. Anything that confuses you, anything that you want to know more about, it's right there at your fingertips. It's an amazing next step in the world of books."

The first of Martin's enhanced editions, "A Game of Thrones" hit the iBooks Store in September and now sells for $8.99. "A Clash of Kings" went up for sale in November and was followed by "A Storm of Swords" earlier this month. The latest editions are priced at $11.99.

Apple's iBooks Store will gain access to "A Feast for Crows" and "A Dance with Dragons" in February and March of next year, respectively.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    never heard of this series until just now...i started watching the first 20 seconds and turned it off...definitely a niche market...not my thing...a little too graphic
  • Reply 2 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    is this the one with a hobbit named Freddo?
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 3 of 10
    NY1822 said:
    never heard of this series until just now...i started watching the first 20 seconds and turned it off...definitely a niche market...not my thing...a little too graphic
    You've never heard of Game of Thrones? that's the first book and popular HBO series. 
  • Reply 4 of 10
    entropys said:
    is this the one with a hobbit named Freddo?
    Alfredo, i believe. 
  • Reply 5 of 10
    NY1822 said:
    Where's the rock you live under?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    NY1822 said:
    1) It could be he's only being facetitious

2) He has better things to do than to watch some stupid TV show

Back to the main topic: can you sync book samples now with iBooks, or alter line height or margin width? Or are we just sticking to lame "exclusives" as the selling point? 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    NY1822 said:
    Not sure if this post is a joke or not, but if it isn't, you're clearly in no position to comment about "niche markets". GoT has been, probably the most popular and talked about TV show for the past several years. If you've been living under a big enough rock to somehow miss ALL the marketing, from TV ads, to online ads, to actual people talking about it, etc- then you're far too removed from society to comment about pop culture and what is and isn't a "niche" market. GoT is anything but "niche". 
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    NY1822 said:
    1) It could be he's only being facetitious

2) He has better things to do than to watch some stupid TV show
    But he didn't say watch, he said heard of. Hard to believe that one following Apple gear hadn't heard of the show, since it's often used in hero shots of Apple gear.

I think #3 could be that he didn't realize GoT the show is part of A Song of Fire & Ice the books.
  • Reply 9 of 10

slurpy said:
    NY1822 said:
    Not sure if this post is a joke or not, but if it isn't, you're clearly in no position to comment about "niche markets". GoT has been, probably the most popular and talked about TV show for the past several years. If you've been living under a big enough rock to somehow miss ALL the marketing, from TV ads, to online ads, to actual people talking about it, etc- then you're far too removed from society to comment about pop culture and what is and isn't a "niche" market. GoT is anything but "niche". 
    Great point. And HBO has said it's the most popular show in their network history. I believe it's also the most pirated show in history as well. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    George R. R. Martin could have a second career playing Santa! Who'd think that cute old man would be responsible for GoT?