Hulu signs deal for Disney content landing over 50 movies

Posted:
in General Discussion
Although Netflix may have secured the rights to newer Disney movies, Hulu this week announced a deal claiming over 50 movies from the company's back catalog.

These include animated titles such as Lilo & Stitch, Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, and The Princess and the Frog, Hulu said. Also snapped up are various live-action films, like Con Air and Romy and Michele's High School Reunion.

A number of titles -- such as Mulan, The Nightmare Before Christmas, and Sister Act -- will become Hulu exclusives in terms of internet subscription services. Previously some of these movies were available on Netflix.

Hulu is partly owned by Disney. Other partners include Fox, NBCUniversal, and Time Warner.

While Netflix has increasingly shifted its focus to original movies and shows, which it can control without worrying about partners jacking up prices, it still relies heavily on third-party content. Newer Disney movies could help cement its position given the popularity of Star Wars and the Marvel universe.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Man if Apple bought Netflix and Hulu and merged them....

yes I know it probably won't happen.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    cali said:

Apple has already done their part to merge them. Ever hear of the TV App? Once Netflix finally releases an update with support for it (yes the ball is in their court to support it, which they can, and will).
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Netflix gets the new stuff, Hulu gets the old stuff... that's a full 180º reversal from their original content strategies. It works for me though. I already subscribe to both so this means I'll have a huge Disney library available. It will be nice when Netflix joins Apple's TV app though. I wasn't sure at first that I would like it but now I find that the absence of Netflix is just about the only reason I go back to the old Home screen.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Pity Hulu has crap audio
  • Reply 5 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

Apple has already done their part to merge them. Ever hear of the TV App? Once Netflix finally releases an update with support for it (yes the ball is in their court to support it, which they can, and will).
    Netflix' absence was a reason why I wished Apple owned them. I believe there would be far more intergration and exclusives if Apple really owned one of them.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    6ryph3n said:
    Netflix gets the new stuff, Hulu gets the old stuff... that's a full 180º reversal from their original content strategies. It works for me though. I already subscribe to both so this means I'll have a huge Disney library available. It will be nice when Netflix joins Apple's TV app though. I wasn't sure at first that I would like it but now I find that the absence of Netflix is just about the only reason I go back to the old Home screen.
    Hulu gets episodes of new TV shows -- far more than Netflix, it seems to me. The "stuff" is called content.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 7 of 7

The usage of Netflix in my house has significantly outpaced the usage of our cable connection. I'm pretty surprised that it happened so fast.

For some reason, streaming a movie from iTunes is more cumbersome than from Netflix. Netflix starts instantly and changes to HD on the fly immediately.

The one iTunes movie I tried to stream showed the loading symbol and then start getting hiccups on the same internet connection. It was so frustrating that I gave up and forgot about the money I paid to stream the movie.

Another localized difference is that Netflix streams movies (and TV shows) in their original US cut. iTunes actually follows local regulations and screens movies that have been given an Indian Certification. So more often than not, raunchy scenes and cuss-words, as well as gory bits are all edited out.

So full marks to Apple for following all the rules and regulations, but I'd rather watch movies as intended by the director.

edited December 2016