Rumor: Apple will ship 60M-70M 5.8" 'iPhone 8' units in 2017 with Samsung-made AMOLED displays

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2016
Apple's supply chain has huge expectations for the anticipated flagship 2017 iPhone, projecting as many as 70 million shipments next year for the all-new design, rumored to feature a 5.8-inch AMOLED display.

Citing Apple suppliers in Taiwan, DigiTimes reported on Thursday that global shipments for the so-called "iPhone 8" are currently estimated at 60 million to 70 million units for 2017.

If current expectations hold, those sales would be in addition to smaller "iPhone 7s" models sized at 4.7 and 5.5 inches. Multiple reports have suggested Apple will expand its annual iPhone upgrade cycle with three new models to debut in late 2017.
It's rumored initial production of the flagship "iPhone 8" will begin in March 2017, ahead of an expected September launch.
Thursday's report also reiterated earlier rumors claiming that Samsung will be the sole supplier of OLED panels for the 5.8-inch "iPhone 8." It was said that Samsung will be able to supply 20 million units per month, maximum, to Apple for its flagship handset.

Other supposed suppliers mentioned include Nissha Printing, which is expected to provide touch sensors, and TPK Holding, which could win a contract to bond those sensors to the AMOLED display.

It was said that small volumes of production of the flagship "iPhone 8" will begin in March 2017. Output is expected to increase in May and June, which could put it on track for Apple's typical annual September release.

DigiTimes has a hit-or-miss track record on Apple future product rumors, but the publication does frequently have inside information on supply chain minutiae, particularly which component makers have landed contracts to supply parts.

Concept rendering of next-gen iPhone with edge-to-edge display.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities believes that most new iPhone sales in late 2017 will go to the OLED "iPhone 8," predicted to account for between 50 and 55 percent of shipments of new models. With a new bezel-less design hiding key components -- such as the earpiece and Touch ID fingerprint sensor --underneath the screen, the OLED iPhone is expected to be a radically redesigned handset celebrating the 10th anniversary of Apple's iconic smartphone.

Rumors remain split on the size of the display, however. While Thursday's report aligned with earlier claims of a 5.8-inch display, Kuo believes that the usable area of the screen could be smaller, in the 5.1- to 5.2-inch range. Regardless of the usable and visible space on the final product, both sides agree that Apple plans to buy flexible OLED panels from Samsung sized around 5.8 inches.

As for the "iPhone 7s" upgrades, they're expected to feature LCD panels matching the same 4.7- and 5.5-inch sizes of the current iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus lineup. Less dramatic factor modifications are expected for the "7s" series, mostly in the form of a glass rear casing instead of metal.
mamunrid

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    So the Ming-Chi Kuo 'sooth sayer' has stuck up a finger and saw that the wind was blowing and made his predictions like 'Old Moore' and his Almanack.
    All the world will now bow down and worship the word of god, lick his boots and praise the great lord
    Ming-Chi Kuo.

Sheesh. Can't the people who run this site stop publishing the stuff that comes out of his backside until it is verified by a second totally independent source.
    There are people on Wall St who will face a lifetime of poverty if his words fail to come true. Won't someone think of them? They aren't children you know.

Written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.

Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    i'm waiting for the doom after the 8 is released? "What's left for innovation?" will continue on for perpetuity 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    rotateleftbyte said:
    So the Ming-Chi Kuo 'sooth sayer' has stuck up a finger and saw that the wind was blowing and made his predictions like 'Old Moore' and his Almanack.
    All the world will now bow down and worship the word of god, lick his boots and praise the great lord Ming-Chi Kuo.

Sheesh. Can't the people who run this site stop publishing the stuff that comes out of his backside until it is verified by a second totally independent source.
    There are people on Wall St who will face a lifetime of poverty if his words fail to come true. Won't someone think of them? They aren't children you know.

Written with my tongue firmly planted in my cheek.
    I'm just glad they're calling him an analyst now instead of an insider.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This news make sense. Three iPhone in sizes 4,7"(LCD),5.5"(LCD) and 5.8"(OLED) in 2017 and upgrade to SE in 2018 Spring. Only speculation remains HOME button, embedded under screen or not.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 5 of 17
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    NY1822 said:
    i'm waiting for the doom after the 8 is released? "What's left for innovation?" will continue on for perpetuity 

Ha!  You're so right.  The big story will be how the only place to go from here is down.
    slprescottwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Has anybody EVER seen Apple release two separate design languages for the same product in the same year or at the same event?  That's  what doesn't make sense to me about these rumors.  

I suspect Apple Will be releasing two new phones both oled. One around 5.1 or 5.2 and one 5.8"  to replace the current phones. 

Or If the do come out with a third phone with a separate design language it will be iPhone pro or something differentiating it making it a completely separate product line so to speak 
  • Reply 7 of 17
    wood1208 said:
     Only speculation remains HOME button, embedded under screen or not.
    Rumor has it Jonny I've wants to create a phone that looks like a slab of glass. So I think the oled phone will have embedded under screen home button. And if Apple does come out with 7s upgrades. Those will have home buttons.  I suspect the led version will become the guinea pig. It will be the phone Apple uses to test out its new technology see if people like it and so on. 
    brakken
  • Reply 8 of 17
    momoomomoo Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    @tshapi it's not about testing what people like. the problem is that they can't get as many oled screens they would need to equip all models with it.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    momoo said:
    @tshapi it's not about testing what people like. the problem is that they can't get as many oled screens they would need to equip all models with it.
    After I left that post. I realized Apple will come out with three phones.  With the third phone being the oled phone. Because Apple wants to provide the option but not lose customers.  I realized it's the same way they added the 5.5 to there line up. They didn't just release a 5.5 they added the option for those who want a bigger screen. And also released the 4.7 for those who want a more one handed experience. I find the 4.7 inch to be almost one handed.  Me personally I am waiting for them to release a phone akin to the 5.5 with less bezel. I want more screen real estate but I want less bezel.  If Apple came out with an edge to edge iPhone weather it be 5.2 or 5.8, I prefer the 5.8 though, but I. would move from my 4.7 and buy that. I would like that option. But I know not everybody would. Some people would prefer to stay with a model that has a home button. For example. 
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 10 of 17
    tshapi said:
    wood1208 said:
     Only speculation remains HOME button, embedded under screen or not.
    Rumor has it Jonny I've wants to create a phone that looks like a slab of glass. So I think the oled phone will have embedded under screen home button. And if Apple does come out with 7s upgrades. Those will have home buttons.  I suspect the led version will become the guinea pig. It will be the phone Apple uses to test out its new technology see if people like it and so on. 
    Same as they did with the MBA (and now MB). I've been thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    So they are going to release the iPhone 7s and the iPhone 8 at the same time? Seems like an odd move.
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 12 of 17
    volcan said:
    So they are going to release the iPhone 7s and the iPhone 8 at the same time? Seems like an odd move.
    My thoughts exactly. I think it's going to be iPhone 7s and iPhone edge or X or pro or something 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Apple should take a Break from developing the A11 for a year and in return Google should stop developing the AI software for a year.  LOL.
    The 7Plus would probably sell just as many as this year. Qualcomm can create a chip to match the A9.    Siri needs to catchup.   Half joking - half serious.

edited December 2016
  • Reply 14 of 17
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    Has that guy got 3 fingers?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    This just in:

In an exclusive scoop for AppleInsider, it has been reported that Well-Connected Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has decided to change his name. 

"It's just Analyst from now on," said the Analyst Formally Known As Well-Connected. "I figured it would be easier for westerners to pronounce."

While many blogs applauded the move, members of Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's own family have been less than enthusiastic:

"The naming convention in our family goes back many generations," said his brother, Guessing-From-The-Outer-Fringes-Of-Reality Analyst Ming-Chi Lau. "I really haven't processed this. Get back to me when I've consulted my contacts in the Apple Supply chain. Then I'll tell you how I feel about it."

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo's sister was a little more forthcoming:

"He's dead to me," said Pulled-This-Research-Note-Out-Of-My-Butt Analyst Ming-Chi Tan. "And Apple will release a phone without a screen next year. The iPhone Shuffle will be manufactured in Scunthorpe, UK and will not run any apps. Bear in mind that Apple may not be able to perfect the technology in time and so its possible that they may push back the release date to March 2174."
    edited December 2016
  • Reply 16 of 17
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    tshapi said:
    Has anybody EVER seen Apple release two separate design languages for the same product in the same year or at the same event?  That's  what doesn't make sense to me about these rumors.  

I suspect Apple Will be releasing two new phones both oled. One around 5.1 or 5.2 and one 5.8"  to replace the current phones. 

Or If the do come out with a third phone with a separate design language it will be iPhone pro or something differentiating it making it a completely separate product line so to speak 
    I concur. I don't believe there will be 7s/7s+ series in 2017. This design has been 3 years old. 2 new phones with new design make more sense. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    fallenjt said:
    tshapi said:

I concur. I don't believe there will be 7s/7s+ series in 2017. This design has been 3 years old. 2 new phones with new design make more sense. 
    This may reflect that Apple is still playing with Models and don't know if the Technology will all come together for the Model 8 (all glass OLED design).  
    I think will we will see an iPhone 7S with A11, OSI stabilization in both cameras on the Plus, and a glass back for Wireless charging.
    After the problems with the AirPods, apple won't risk not being ready with the new OLED phone.    Unless of course if the IPad switches to OLED first this Spring, then its an OLED iPhone in the fall for sure.    Just hoping they do get around to updating the MacPro, MacMini, and iMac.