Apple's changes to macOS PDF handling stymie third-party developers, cause data loss

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    I have not upgraded to mac iOS. I use Scansnap a lot and did not wish to risk having problems with my previously scanned documents. Apple's attitude as reported sounds unfortunate. In 2013 I moved from Windows to get away from these types of problems. I am disappointed with Apple. This is not good.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    danvm said:

jingo said:
    Those who have stuck with El Capitan are not safe from reprehensible problems either - there is some sort of a bug with Spotlight which many people are experiencing, caused by the last Safari update (seemingly unlikely but true), which means that if you type anything into the Spotlight search field, Spotlight crashes reporting a problem with com.apple.Safari.History. Truly Apple are not that bothered about MacOS any more, but what I can't work out is what the development guys are all doing with their time? More developers and more money spent than at any time in the past, and nothing at all to show for it except some highly suspect code and some very unimpressive hardware. I am not into short-selling, but I do wonder why Apple's share price is not collapsing right now. They seriously seem to have lost their mojo.
    Unimpressive hardware? Funny. My latest Apple hardware are the best in breed -- the best smartphone, tablet, notebook, watch, and perhaps now wireless headphones. I can't take that claim seriously.
    Best Smartphone - Maybe, but Samsung and Google are closing the gap quickly.
    Tablet - Maybe
    Notebook - Not anymore. 
    Watch - Don't know, since I haven't tried it.
    Wireless headphones - Are you sure about this?  You try other options before saying that Apple has the best headphones.  I suggest you start with Bower & Wilkins,
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Collection/products/overview.html
    Smartphone, without a doubt. Tablet, without a doubt (what do you use that's better than iPad?), notebook -- mos def MBP. Smartwatch, yup it's Apple. And yes I've used several pairs of BT headphones over the years, and IMO nothing beats the new W1 models. For my needs the AirPods are a joy to use, they have a magic like the original iPod. 
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    danvm said:

Using your logic:

Best Smartphone - Maybe, but Samsung and Google are closing the gap quickly. Samsung and Google can try to close the gap, but Apple will always move one step ahead. So, keep chasing.

Tablet - Maybe. If you noticed, the first two are already weasel word.

Notebook - Not anymore.  This is subjective, but even so, Apple is not too far behind and it will be the best again when Intel updated their processor and Apple enhanced their Touch Bar.

Watch - Don't know, since I haven't tried it. I have one and no doubt it is the best in its kind in terms of quality, aesthetic and functional.

Wireless headphones - Are you sure about this?  You try other options before saying that Apple has the best headphones.  I suggest you start with Bower & Wilkins,
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Collection/products/overview.html ;He said 'wireless' headphones, and for a true wireless headphones experience, nothing beat Airpods right now.
    edited January 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 31
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    kevin kee said:
    danvm said:

Using your logic:

Best Smartphone - Maybe, but Samsung and Google are closing the gap quickly. Samsung and Google can try to close the gap, but Apple will always move one step ahead. So, keep chasing.

Tablet - Maybe. If you noticed, the first two are already weasel word.

Notebook - Not anymore.  This is subjective, but even so, Apple is not too far behind and it will be the best again when Intel updated their processor and Apple enhanced their Touch Bar.

Watch - Don't know, since I haven't tried it. I have one and no doubt it is the best in its kind in terms of quality, aesthetic and functional.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Collection/products/overview.html ;He said 'wireless' headphones, and for a true wireless headphones experience, nothing beat Airpods right now.
    Smartphones - The Galaxy Note 7 was a phone that had many advantages over the iPhone, before the battery exploded.  Same as the Google Pixel.  For me the iPhone still a better device, but the completion is ahead in many things.   

Notebooks - You seem confident of what Apple will release.  Until then, they are behind the competition in many aspects.  BTW, I still think the MacBook Pro is a great device. 

Watch - No comments, since I don't have one. 

Wireless Headphone - I'm not sure you went to the link I posted.  B&W have one of the best wireless headphones in the market, same as B&O.  They are not in the same class as AirPods, which in your opinion are unbeatable.  As soon as you learn what those two brands offer, you'll get my point. 
  • Reply 25 of 31
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    More of Tim Cook's Apple's software quality, where the iOS devices are killing the Mac. Not because the world no longer wants "truck" computers, but because Apple wants to tell people what they need and then create self-fulfilling prophecies to back up their myopic view.

I've been onboard with many of Apple's crazy changes (I like the natural scrolling mode, liked the 2013 Mac Pro, except for it lacking a Retina display, which made it pointless for me as a photographer, especially when the retina iMac came along), but my largesse in support for their risky choices is over. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 26 of 31
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    danvm said:

Wireless Headphone - I'm not sure you went to the link I posted.  B&W have one of the best wireless headphones in the market, same as B&O.  They are not in the same class as AirPods, which in your opinion are unbeatable.  As soon as you learn what those two brands offer, you'll get my point. 
    Actually I have seen Bowers Wilkins headphones (and own something similiar from Kreafunk which I think in my opinion is better for cheaper price). BW is expensive, the $1000+ one is good, no doubt, but for the price and it still has connection band. However, Airpods do not compete with those as it is in its category: true wireless (individual buds) with smart sensors and personal assistant. The closest alternatives (which are still not exactly the same) are here: https://www.cnet.com/au/news/11-alternative-wireless-earbud-headphones-that-arent-the-apple-airpods/

note: BTW the link you provided is dead.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 27 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

I've observed this same attitude from Apple ignoring user needs and feedback. Back when the Pages app moved to version 5.0, and they dropped linked-text boxes, I very politely submitted numerous messages through their Feedback forms, and even went so far as to email Tim directly when our situation became critical. I don't agree with bothering a very busy CEO, but I was getting nothing from our feedback messages over many months. Essentially, we relied on this one feature for publishing a weekly newsletter (the business' only product), and could not purchase any new Macs because they came with the newer iWork suite. It really put us into a bind over a long period of time. Still not resolved after two years.

They dropped this feature because they wanted synergy with the iCloud version of Pages, which does not support this feature, so they dropped it from the desktop version. Sounds very similar to this PDFKit situation where synergy across two platforms is put ahead of user needs.
    Yes, I have to agree.

Pages still lacks one of the most basic functions of a modern word processor: facing pages. It was removed and it never came back, presumably because they couldn't figure out how to implement it in iOS.

Removing features is one thing; removing them without warning developers? That's just bad manners.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    This seems to be an institutional problem. Firstly I am convinced that agile development leads to crap code. Secondly to fix these issues you would have to know them. Companies like Apple often have functional experts in Dev and Qa - experts on PDF for instance. Here it looks like the Mac PDF guy retired and they decided to use the ios codebase without reference to what the existing code did. The new devs didn't understand the old functionality on the Mac and neither did the QA - clearly as they didn't seem to test it. 

Added to that you have the release dates now set in stone. In fact MacOS has been updated earlier than a year recently, 11 months for El Capitan. If they took 18 months to fix all bugs is be happier. 
  • Reply 29 of 31
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    And how long did the developers have with the betas? I had mine for 3 months. 
    who is to say they didnt log the bugs during the beta, Apple ship to a release date these days, not when software quality is assured. 
  • Reply 30 of 31
    danvm said:

jingo said:
    Those who have stuck with El Capitan are not safe from reprehensible problems either - there is some sort of a bug with Spotlight which many people are experiencing, caused by the last Safari update (seemingly unlikely but true), which means that if you type anything into the Spotlight search field, Spotlight crashes reporting a problem with com.apple.Safari.History. Truly Apple are not that bothered about MacOS any more, but what I can't work out is what the development guys are all doing with their time? More developers and more money spent than at any time in the past, and nothing at all to show for it except some highly suspect code and some very unimpressive hardware. I am not into short-selling, but I do wonder why Apple's share price is not collapsing right now. They seriously seem to have lost their mojo.
    Unimpressive hardware? Funny. My latest Apple hardware are the best in breed -- the best smartphone, tablet, notebook, watch, and perhaps now wireless headphones. I can't take that claim seriously.
    Best Smartphone - Maybe, but Samsung and Google are closing the gap quickly.
    Tablet - Maybe
    Notebook - Not anymore. 
    Watch - Don't know, since I haven't tried it.
    http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Collection/products/overview.html
    Smartphone, without a doubt. Tablet, without a doubt (what do you use that's better than iPad?), notebook -- mos def MBP. Smartwatch, yup it's Apple. And yes I've used several pairs of BT headphones over the years, and IMO nothing beats the new W1 models. For my needs the AirPods are a joy to use, they have a magic like the original iPod. 

Smartphone - iPhone is not that far ahead from the competition as before.  They are getting very close, and sometimes have features ahead of iPhones.

Tablet - iPad is a great device, same as the Surface Pro 4.  Looks like customers have them at the top of the list,
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-surface-apples-ipad-in-customer-satisfaction-dead-heat/

Notebooks - Apple is not ahead anymore.  ThinkPad's, Dell XPS and HP Z-Workstations are as good or better than Apple. 

Smartwatch - No comments, since I don't have one.

Headphones - The only benefit I see from the AirPod is the simplicity of pairing and connectivity.  A part from that, I don't see anything that makes them sound better than other earbuds.  For me, sound quality is what defines a headphone, then battery life, comfort and connectivity.  From what I have read in reviews, many they don't fit for many people and don't have the sound quality of mid/high end headphones.  I'm looking forward to try them, but I don't expect too much.  I forgot to add, they look awful. 
  • Reply 31 of 31
    kevin kee said:
    danvm said:

Actually I have seen Bowers Wilkins headphones (and own something similiar from Kreafunk which I think in my opinion is better for cheaper price). BW is expensive, the $1000+ one is good, no doubt, but for the price and it still has connection band. However, Airpods do not compete with those as it is in its category: true wireless (individual buds) with smart sensors and personal assistant. The closest alternatives (which are still not exactly the same) are here: https://www.cnet.com/au/news/11-alternative-wireless-earbud-headphones-that-arent-the-apple-airpods/

note: BTW the link you provided is dead.
    I'm looking forward to try them, but every review I read point out that sound same or little better than EarPods.  You mentioned that nothing beats the AirPods for a true wireless experience.  For me, that starts with sound quality, and if they are as good as EarPods, definitely they are not the best.