Will Apple compete with the new Samsung Odyssey Laptops,which will have upgradeable RAM and SSD's?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
It seems to many Apple Laptop users,that Samsung seems to be trying to give their users the latest Kaby Lake processors,updated Graphic cards,UPGRADEABLE RAM and SSD's!  

Will Apple try to respond,especially since their Mac sales are down,and their Laptop Customers are unhappy over the loss of ports,loss of MagSafe,and no upgradeability? 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Is this what you're referring to? http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/4/14165540/samsung-notebook-odyssey-gaming-announced-specs-ces-2017#comments

Talk about a hideous design and that rainbow backlit keyboard...barf!
    mattinoz
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Is this what you're referring to? http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/4/14165540/samsung-notebook-odyssey-gaming-announced-specs-ces-2017#comments

Talk about a hideous design and that rainbow backlit keyboard...barf!
    My eyes! They bleed!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    macikemacike Posts: 70member
    Yes,I don't care for the design that much,it is a heavy Gaming Laptop,and most of them are "too far out there", in styling,unless you're seriously into Gaming. I am looking at the fact that Samsung feels that there its

enough of a market, to make  17" and 15" Laptops,with upgradeable RAM and SSD's!  Apple claims that there is no market for 17" Laptops,and are on a unfortunate quest for thinness,above Utility!  Apple has

all of the money in the World,taken directly from their LOYAL CUSTOMERS,and acts as if they can't afford to cover the entire Portable market,and it's PRO user's needs. If Samsung,HP,and Acer can afford to make 17"

Laptops,and to make their Laptops upgradeable,Apple most certainly can! If Apple doesn't allow us to upgrade our Desktops and Laptops,then Apple has the responsibility to update and upgrade them to our

satisfaction,they don't need to use "Planned Obsolescence" to force us to buy Computers at Apple's timing. If they satisfy their Customer's needs,the sales will follow automatically.  Our Macs,Mac Book Pros,and iPads

last more than a year,and we don't need to replace them every two years,whether Apple wants us to or not.  I am a long-time Apple User,and Stockholder,but I criticize them when they deserve it.  I love Computers,Macs

in particular,and gadgets in general,but I want value for my Money,and I don't want to be manipulated,or forced to buy what I don't want.  I still have my 17" MacBook Pro,with 16GB of RAM,1TB of Storage,all of the

Ports that I want and need,with plenty of Screen Real Estate.  I feel so strongly,that I have a second 17" Mac Book Pro,so that I can continue to use what I LIKE,not what Apple feels is right for me.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Apparently, even Samsung believes there's not enough of a market to put real effort into making the product line: 

"Like a neophyte gaming PC maker, Samsung eschews high-end materials for a massive dollop of hollow plastic: I found flex both in the top lid of the Odyssey 17 and in the keyboard itself. A lot of flex. Samsung’s hinges on both Odyssey laptops are flimsy, nothing approaching the hydraulic motion of, say, Lenovo’s ThinkPads."

The looks, the weight and bulk, and the quality expectations sure look like exactly the kind of market Apple wants to be in. 
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Wow,if Samsung can't copy or steal Apple's or some other company's designs,they go cheap with materials,or inferior,flashy designs.  I'll stick with Apple,even though I love for other companies to push them.  I'll stay with my 17-inch MacBook Pros,because I don't care for the USB-C,no variety of Ports,no Mag Safe,no Ethernet,new Touch Bar Mac Book Pros.