Review: LG UltraFine 5K Display with Thunderbolt 3 for Apple's 2016 MacBook Pro

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    nadkavs said:
    The Ultrafine 5K Monitor for Apple Mac, considering it charges while using the monitor, will it destroy my Mac laptop battery if kept plugged in all the time? 

Just like leaving a Mac ac power supply plugged in day after day would destroy the battery?

Leaving your Mac connected to power does not harm the battery, so no, leaving it connected to the monitor would not hurt it.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    jSnivelyjSnively Posts: 429administrator
    nadkavs said:
    The Ultrafine 5K Monitor for Apple Mac, considering it charges while using the monitor, will it destroy my Mac laptop battery if kept plugged in all the time? 

Just like leaving a Mac ac power supply plugged in day after day would destroy the battery?
    Leaving your Mac connected to power does not harm the battery, so no, leaving it connected to the monitor would not hurt it.
    I see this online a lot. Apple used to recommend that you not leave it plugged in all the time, but I don't believe that's the case any longer. I would be interested to know whether or not anyone has a trustworthy source for someone who has recently performed that kind of test.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Buyer Beware  these 5k displays have multiple problems with quality and LG's support for defective units is abysmal. If you find something else do it or wait. Don't jump the gun like I did.  See all the problems at http://www.apple.com/shop/reviews/HKN62LL/A/lg-ultrafine-5k-display

I purchased two of the units. One the sound was fine the other has a tinny ringing sound on certain songs. I asked LG for a replacement but they said they only provide return repair. So I sent it back and two weeks later it was returned but not repaired. No communication from the repair ship (which is a third party not LG). No notes no ability to amend a repair ticket. No way to communicate with the repair tech. After several hours on the phone talking to a supervisor who insisted that the only option was to send it back in again. I asked him what possibly would be done differently. He referred to the technician notes which he had access too (but not me) and said they replaced some shielding which has been problematic of these units. But it did not fix it. So I asked him what more could they do to repair it. He said it didn't know. etc etc. He said that it might not be repairable but only the repair shop could say that. So my only option is to send it in again and wait another 2 weeks and hope that something different happens this time. I talked to apple support who tried really hard to see if they could get replacement from Apple but because it was outside the 14 day window that was not possible. 

LG's support ticket system does not allow the user to add or append additional information. It does not allow the repair technician to amend are request additional information from the customer. Its one and done. I even called LG to ask them after I sent it back how it was going and could a send more information to the repair technician with a test to verify that it was fixed before they sent it back and LG's response was that they could not send any more information to the repair facility. They they had no way of communicating with them and that there was not way to amend a ticket. 

So If you can find a monitor from someplace other than LG that works for you. Get it as LG does not understand how to support the Apple market. Apple made a bad strategic decision going with LG as a partner making these displays.