Apple pulls app for finding lost AirPods from App Store

Posted:
in General Discussion
Finder for AirPods, an app designed to assist owners of Apple's AirPods in finding their audio accessory if it has been misplaced, was taken down from the App Store just a few days after it launched.




Developed by Deucks, the app worked by monitoring the strength of the Bluetooth signal transmitted by the lost AirPods. After selecting which AirPod is missing and docking the other in its case, users are then given an arc-shaped progress bar to show how strong the signal is, with the bar progressing to the right the closer the iPhone gets.

Posting on Reddit, a developer behind the app advised they had been in contact with Apple, and though there wasn't anything functionally wrong, Apple "didn't like the 'concept' of people finding their AirPods," deeming it "not appropriate for the App Store.

Apple has yet to publicly give a reason for why the app was removed from the App Store. AppleInsider has contacted Apple for comment.

Normally sold as a set for $159 in the U.S., Apple is currently charging $69 to replace a single lost AirPod or the charging case, making the $3.99 app seem like a cheaper alternative. Despite the potential market, the app does have some limitations that may disappoint some users.

Finder for AirPods relies solely on Bluetooth transmissions, which means it cannot find an AirPod if the battery is dead or if it is out of Bluetooth range entirely. The detected signal strength also doesn't take into account nearby objects, walls, and floors, making the reading inaccurate.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 40
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 2,375member
    I bet they don't want it on the App Store because they have plans to make their own and build it into macOS and iOS during future updates. Even if they worked with the developer in the end I think they thought this was a good idea. I know this sucks for the developers but I wouldn't doubt this is exactly the case.
    edited January 9 lostkiwiam8449cornchipequality72521icoco3digitol
  • Reply 2 of 40
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 491member
    They'd rather people paid $69 for a replacement AirPod. 
    seafoxavon b7icoco3
  • Reply 3 of 40
    calicali Posts: 2,697member
    This is likely being integrated into Find My iPhone, a name I hope changes soon. 
    chialongpathStrangeDaysjSnivelycornchipequality72521icoco3
  • Reply 4 of 40
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 206member
    Apple will never make an app for this....it's bad marketing...it is implying eventually one will lose their airpod. And, no, this can't be compared to Find My iPhone...no one buys a phone with the thought in their head, one day I will loose my phone, maybe I shouldn't buy one. For the airpods, a legitimate barrier to purchase is "I might lose them too easily". Apple would never compound this fear by building an app like this.
    edited January 9 baconstangcpenzoneMikeymikeelijahgduervowatto_cobraB3BADASS
  • Reply 5 of 40
    It seems to me that Apple, given it's not to recent purchase of an indoor geosync/gps? tech, would be able to come up with a more sophisticated and accurate 'find airpod' solution. This is what I believe they are waiting on or planning.
    am8449cornchipwatto_cobraequality72521
  • Reply 6 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 4,447member
    elijahg said:
    They'd rather people paid $69 for a replacement AirPod. 
    Why the bullshit snark?
    edited January 9 mwhiteStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobrastanthemanequality72521jbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 1,277member
    lkrupp said:
    elijahg said:
    They'd rather people paid $69 for a replacement AirPod. 
    Why the bullshit snark?
    It's the internet; why not? :-/
  • Reply 8 of 40
    tshapitshapi Posts: 70member
    There is a simple explanation why this app was yanked. This company doesn't have the rights to sell this app. They haven't veen granted permission to associate themselves with the product.  In some ways it can be seen as copyright infringement
    patchythepiratecoolfactorwatto_cobraequality72521jbdragon
  • Reply 9 of 40
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 1,416member
    elijahg said:
    They'd rather people paid $69 for a replacement AirPod. 
    Wut??? 
  • Reply 10 of 40
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 37member
    lkrupp said:
    elijahg said:
    They'd rather people paid $69 for a replacement AirPod. 
    Why the bullshit snark?
    Do you mean the $69 comment, or your comment? Because I had exactly the same thought about Apple being concerned that it would cut into replacement profits. 

    This strikes me as a potentially very useful app and I honestly can't think of any valid reason for Apple to pull it. If the report is true it doesn't violate any policies but 'they just didn't like it?' That essentially means any app can be pulled at Apple's whim for any reason at all. 

    I don't think the copyright argument really applies (and Apple reportedly didn't raise this as an issue,) and even if they were considering building the functionality into future iOS releases, that's no reason not to allow a valid app now (They still allow flashlight apps, right?) Unless someone can give a better reason, the cynical reason actually seems to be the most likely. 
    edited January 9 elijahgsirlance99icoco3ewtheckmanspacerays
  • Reply 11 of 40
    MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    elijahg said:
    They'd rather people paid $69 for a replacement AirPod. 
    Why the bullshit snark?
    Do you mean the $69 comment, or your comment? Because I had exactly the same thought about Apple being concerned that it would cut into replacement profits. 

    This strikes me as a potentially very useful app and I honestly can't think of any valid reason for Apple to pull it. If the report is true it doesn't violate any policies but 'they just didn't like it?' That essentially means any app can be pulled at Apple's whim for any reason at all. 

    I don't think the copyright argument really applies (and Apple reportedly didn't raise this as an issue,) and even if they were considering building the functionality into future iOS releases, that's no reason not to allow a valid app now (They still allow flashlight apps, right?) Unless someone can give a better reason, the cynical reason actually seems to be the most likely. 
    Several more plausible reasons have already been posed on this very thread, and you can't imagine one? The notion that Apple is twisting its mustache and hoping you lose your Airpods is paranoid dreck. IOW, bullshit, yes. There is no line item in Apple's projected profits for "suckers losing their AirPods muhhaha"...the profits will flow even if not a single person lost one. 


    edited January 9 calipscooter63MikeymikeRayz2016watto_cobraequality72521jbdragon
  • Reply 12 of 40
    tshapi said:
    There is a simple explanation why this app was yanked. This company doesn't have the rights to sell this app. They haven't veen granted permission to associate themselves with the product.  In some ways it can be seen as copyright infringement

    Yes, I think having "AirPods" in the name is a concern, but I don't like the fact that Apple first allowed the app, and then changed course. That looks bad on them.
    cali
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Hope Apple will come up with something "Right AirPod and Left AirPod", just like "Parked Car" on Maps.
    edited January 9 Rayz2016bestkeptsecretwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 40
    NY1822 said:
    Apple will never make an app for this....it's bad marketing...it is implying eventually one will lose their airpod. And, no, this can't be compared to Find My iPhone...no one buys a phone with the thought in their head, one day I will loose my phone, maybe I shouldn't buy one. For the airpods, a legitimate barrier to purchase is "I might lose them too easily". Apple would never compound this fear by building an app like this.
    This is the correct answer.  Everyone saying that Apple is doing it to collect $69 is wrong.
    watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 15 of 40
    calicali Posts: 2,697member
    NY1822 said:
    Apple will never make an app for this....it's bad marketing...it is implying eventually one will lose their airpod. And, no, this can't be compared to Find My iPhone...no one buys a phone with the thought in their head, one day I will loose my phone, maybe I shouldn't buy one. For the airpods, a legitimate barrier to purchase is "I might lose them too easily". Apple would never compound this fear by building an app like this.
    Who said Apple would make an app for this?

    I imagine Apple adding Airpods to Find My iPhone and maybe change the name to "Find", a place to locate iDevices, Macs, Airpods and friends.

    I don't think "like OMG I'm gonna easily go lose my iMac because it's in Find My iPhone!!!!" I see it being a useful tool if your Airpods are in the couch or something.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    crowleycrowley Posts: 4,924member
    macxpress said:
    I bet they don't want it on the App Store because they have plans to make their own and build it into macOS and iOS during future updates. Even if they worked with the developer in the end I think they thought this was a good idea. I know this sucks for the developers but I wouldn't doubt this is exactly the case.
    Apple are hardly shy in Sherlocking their third party devs.  I see no reason why they'd bother taking the app down just because they have their own in prep.
    singularity
  • Reply 17 of 40
    As to operation of this App and it's Potential "inaccuracy", I would expect that if the App can get you in the 'general range' of a pod, you could then play some music at full volume,and track it down to exact location. As long as environment is not too loud.
    After all, the place where people are going to lose these things (misplace them) the most, is the same place where I always lose my wired earbuds; Somewhere in my house (behind a chair etc.)
    icoco3ewtheckman
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Mikeymike said:
    As to operation of this App and it's Potential "inaccuracy", I would expect that if the App can get you in the 'general range' of a pod, you could then play some music at full volume,and track it down to exact location. As long as environment is not too loud.
    After all, the place where people are going to lose these things (misplace them) the most, is the same place where I always lose my wired earbuds; Somewhere in my house (behind a chair etc.)
    Except for the fact that the AirPods have to be inserted into the ears to play any sounds…
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 40
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 2,681member
    peerbz said:
    Mikeymike said:
    As to operation of this App and it's Potential "inaccuracy", I would expect that if the App can get you in the 'general range' of a pod, you could then play some music at full volume,and track it down to exact location. As long as environment is not too loud.
    After all, the place where people are going to lose these things (misplace them) the most, is the same place where I always lose my wired earbuds; Somewhere in my house (behind a chair etc.)
    Except for the fact that the AirPods have to be inserted into the ears to play any sounds…
    That's apparently not true.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    NizNiz Posts: 1member
    As someone who bought both the AirPods and the app, I can tell you that the app was garbage. It would just direct you to the closest piece electronic equipment. (Apple Watch, iPads, Computers,
    extension cords, computer monitors etc). I'm glad they pulled it.
    I tested it several times with my AirPod sitting plainly on a table, the floor, a couch etc, it obviously doesn't work. Unless it's in the middle of a roadway, with nothing around it, and you are standing directly over it, it's useless. Now I just need to figure out how to get my money back.

    apple jockeydewmeRayz2016cornchipwatto_cobraequality72521spaceraysStrangeDays
Sign In or Register to comment.