Verizon plans purge of 200GB+ bandwidth hogging unlimited data users

Posted:
in iPhone
Verizon Wireless will force unlimited data subscribers who use over 200 gigabytes of bandwidth per month to change their plan to one with a data cap, or face having their wireless service disconnected.




Employees were recently advised of the policy change, which targets customers managing to average more than 200 gigabytes of usage on a single line "over several months." Affected customers are being sent notices of their excessive usage, with a deadline of Feb. 16 to change their plan.

If a line is disconnected under the new policy, customers will have a 50-day window to resubscribe, though only to plans without unlimited data. The highest-capacity plan Verizon lists on its website offers $100 gigabytes of data per month for $450, with line access fees of between $5 and $20 per connected device.

This is not the first time Verizon has performed a purge of its heaviest users. In July of last year, the carrier encouraged high-bandwidth users to make a similar price plan change, at the time targeting customers using "well in excess" of 100 gigabytes on a single device.

Carriers have spent a number of years slowly migrating its customers away from unlimited data plans in favor of capped services, partly due to the high resource consumption affecting other lower-usage customers. Users with grandfathered unlimited data plans sometimes abuse the service by using it as their sole Internet connection, tethering computers and streaming set-top boxes in their home instead of using broadband.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 32
    MacProMacPro Posts: 16,190member
    I don't approve of users that abuse the system either but  I am pretty sure this is just the start with Marsha Blackburn chairing the Communications and Technology subcommittee going forward (or is that backwards?).  Get ready to see the public screwed over by the telcos big time with full Government backing.
    edited January 10 boredumb
  • Reply 2 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 4,695member
    Good. I can't even manage 200GB a month with my home connection, with HEAVY usage between myself, my wife, and others. 200GB on a phone is insane, clearly it's being tethered full time and used to endlessly stream video or make massive downloads. I don't have a problem with the purging of this abuse. These kinds of people fuck it up for the rest of us. 
    mike1lkruppchiaericthehalfbee
  • Reply 3 of 32
    Now as of yesterday they charge $30 to activate a new phone and not $20 I guess they need to pay for that crappy Yahoo they are buying. I am glad my ex got her new iPhone last week before the change or it would of cost me more....
  • Reply 4 of 32
    How do you use 200GB of data on a cellphone? I guess when you don't do jack all day except Netflix & no chill?
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Give them all $50 to go to the competition! :)
  • Reply 6 of 32
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,352member

    ... $100 gigabytes of data per month for $450, ...
    That's a new kind of bandwidth...

    People just like to watch video on wireless it seems...have a friend who had unlimited and watched video all day long just because he could.  With all the WiFi around I just do not see the need for all that bandwidth over the carriers network.  Unlimited is unlimited and Verizon should have to honor existing contracts.  I thought at one time they wouldn't upgrade the phone without a new contract with data caps.
    teaearlegreyhot
  • Reply 7 of 32
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 3,214member
    icoco3 said:

    ... $100 gigabytes of data per month for $450, ...
    That's a new kind of bandwidth...

    People just like to watch video on wireless it seems...have a friend who had unlimited and watched video all day long just because he could.  With all the WiFi around I just do not see the need for all that bandwidth over the carriers network.  Unlimited is unlimited and Verizon should have to honor existing contracts.  I thought at one time they wouldn't upgrade the phone without a new contract with data caps.
    Unlimited is unlimited data, they didn't promise a certain speed did they?
    Otherwise, in a future 1000Gb/s network speeds, they could run a large company through their phone plan and make service suck for everyone around them (especially if two or more are in the vicinity).
    tmaychia
  • Reply 8 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 4,704member
    AT&T U-verse recently upped their data cap for DSL to 1TB/mo. I have trouble getting over 125GB/mo with heavy usage at home. I can’t even imagine 200GB+ on a wireless device unless you are using it at home as your sole access point for the entire family. On the other hand until symmetrical, very high bandwidth connections are commonplace I don’t see cloud computing as practical for home use. 
    edited January 10
  • Reply 9 of 32
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,375member
    slurpy said:
    Good. I can't even manage 200GB a month with my home connection, with HEAVY usage between myself, my wife, and others. 200GB on a phone is insane, clearly it's being tethered full time and used to endlessly stream video or make massive downloads. I don't have a problem with the purging of this abuse. These kinds of people fuck it up for the rest of us. 
    You may say that, but this is a slippery slope.

    Where will they stop? I'll tell you. They will stop when they stop maximizing money.

    So what's next? A 100GB cap?  50GB cap? 30 GB cap?  And these are people who PAID MONEY to buy an unlimited plan.

    I easily use 20-30GB of data a month. And I'm not doing any crazy crap. Just streaming live TV and movies about 1-2 hours a day. I pay for unlimited data and should have the right to it. Currently my plan slows my LTE after 30GB. Unlimited LTE? My ass.

    You give these ASSHOLES an inch they will take a mile. Trust me.

    These 200GB limits will be 50GB in no time.
    macxpressSpamSandwichtallest skilteaearlegreyhot
  • Reply 10 of 32
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,375member
    lkrupp said:
    AT&T U-verse recently upped their data cap for DSL to 1TB/mo. I have trouble getting over 125GB/mo with heavy usage at home. I can’t even imagine 200GB+ on a wireless device unless you are using it at home as your sole access point for the entire family. On the other hand until symmetrical, very high bandwidth connections are commonplace I don’t see cloud computing as practical for home use. 
    Video takes a ton of data. HD video.

    Watch 8 hours of HD video a day and you easily get 200-300GB a month.  And for many people their phone is their only TV.
    macxpressteaearlegreyhot
  • Reply 11 of 32
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,375member
    How do you use 200GB of data on a cellphone? I guess when you don't do jack all day except Netflix & no chill?
    for many people their phone is their only TV, and they have no wired internet at home

    8 hours of TV/Netflix watching a day can get you to 200GB
    hexclockteaearlegreyhot
  • Reply 12 of 32
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 559member
    I have no problem with a company putting reasonable caps on data usage. They just need to stop calling it unlimited if it has these restrictions. If they want to call it unlimited then they must own up to the definition:

    unlimited
    [uhn-lim-i-tid] 

    adjective
    1.not limited; unrestricted; unconfined:
    2.boundless; infinite; vast:
    3.without any qualification or exception; unconditional.

    Perhaps someone from Australia can comment on how their truth in advertising laws affect this. I'll bet carriers are more honest there.
  • Reply 13 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 2,707member
    slurpy said:
    Good. I can't even manage 200GB a month with my home connection, with HEAVY usage between myself, my wife, and others. 200GB on a phone is insane, clearly it's being tethered full time and used to endlessly stream video or make massive downloads. I don't have a problem with the purging of this abuse. These kinds of people fuck it up for the rest of us. 
    Well for some its their only way of connecting to modern internet vs using something like satellite internet or dialup. So if you want to stream something well that uses a lot of data. For example, I have a friend that lives too far for cable, DSL, or Fiber so unless he wants to get satellite internet which sucks for streaming video theres nothing else to get. He can however get Verizon data via cellular so thats what he uses for his internet connection for everything, including streaming movies via Netflix. He has an iPhone 5c with a grandfathered unlimited data plan and shares the connection out to his computer, iPads, smart TV, etc. 

    As far as using 200GB per month, my partner and I use way more than 200GB/month with our home internet connection through Spectrum (Time Warner). This is with us not even being home all day. We do a lot of streaming of things like Twitch, YouTube, etc...those are all things that uses massive amounts of data. So if this is your only way of getting on the internet then if you do lots of streaming it is possible to use a lot of data really without doing much. Last month we used nearly 300GB of data. 

    What Verizon is trying to do is force these customers who have been able to hold on to their unlimited data plans to something else. They cannot stand that these customers can just use as much data as they feel like. 

    I still think Verizon and all of the other carriers are just absolutely screwing customers with these data caps, overages, etc. They're nickel and diming everyone and getting away with it. Verizon is still a POS of a company for charging customers now $30 to upgrade their phones. This is $30 of pure profit and they're getting away with it. Unfortunately, where I live you pretty much have to use Verizon or else you don't get shit for service. 

    Instead of thinking these heavy data customers are fucking others over...more like carriers refuse to upgrade their equipment to handle the load. Its no different from Comcast, Spectrum, etc. So is it really the customers fault or are the carriers trying to make it sound like its the customers fault so they can get away with riding the money train with what they have and only doing incremental upgrades? 
    edited January 10
  • Reply 14 of 32
    holyoneholyone Posts: 261member
    sog35 said:
    slurpy said:
    Good. I can't even manage 200GB a month with my home connection, with HEAVY usage between myself, my wife, and others. 200GB on a phone is insane, clearly it's being tethered full time and used to endlessly stream video or make massive downloads. I don't have a problem with the purging of this abuse. These kinds of people fuck it up for the rest of us. 
    You may say that, but this is a slippery slope.

    Where will they stop? I'll tell you. They will stop when they stop maximizing money.

    So what's next? A 100GB cap?  50GB cap? 30 GB cap?  And these are people who PAID MONEY to buy an unlimited plan.

    I easily use 20-30GB of data a month. And I'm not doing any crazy crap. Just streaming live TV and movies about 1-2 hours a day. I pay for unlimited data and should have the right to it. Currently my plan slows my LTE after 30GB. Unlimited LTE? My ass.

    You give these ASSHOLES an inch they will take a mile. Trust me.

    These 200GB limits will be 50GB in no time.
    Whoa whoa whoa @sog35 what happened to finding Jesus ?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 225member
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    AT&T U-verse recently upped their data cap for DSL to 1TB/mo. I have trouble getting over 125GB/mo with heavy usage at home. I can’t even imagine 200GB+ on a wireless device unless you are using it at home as your sole access point for the entire family. On the other hand until symmetrical, very high bandwidth connections are commonplace I don’t see cloud computing as practical for home use. 
    Video takes a ton of data. HD video.

    Watch 8 hours of HD video a day and you easily get 200-300GB a month.  And for many people their phone is their only TV.
    We cut the cord and can hit 500GB/month on our home network. We have 4 people in the household.
    My mother in law has no internet at home and hits about 15GB of data on her phone by watching TV on her phone. If SHE can hit 15, I can see many hitting 100, but not 200 :open_mouth: 
  • Reply 16 of 32
    slurpy said:
    clearly it's being tethered full time and used to endlessly stream video or make massive downloads. 
    You say this like its a bad thing. WTF is bandwidth for if not to be used?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 17 of 32
    YP101YP101 Posts: 10member
    There is no unlimited plan available currently in Verizon wireless.

    Verizon just keep the unlimited plan for those people never left or converted.
    Current Verizon wireless plan has only up to 30GB.

    For those unlimited plan holder customer getting 100GB sounds not that bad.

    Used to be that unlimited plan cost was $30 then now paying $59.99.
    Current price for $70, you can only getting 8GB+2GB. 

    Stop complaining.. You still have so called unlimited(but cap on 100GB) plan.

    If you don't like then go to T-mobile or Sprint. They are much cheaper and unlimited.
    Oh.. T-mobile site shows unlimited plan -  during congestion the top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 2,707member
    YP101 said:
    There is no unlimited plan available currently in Verizon wireless.

    Verizon just keep the unlimited plan for those people never left or converted.
    Current Verizon wireless plan has only up to 30GB.

    For those unlimited plan holder customer getting 100GB sounds not that bad.

    Used to be that unlimited plan cost was $30 then now paying $59.99.
    Current price for $70, you can only getting 8GB+2GB. 

    Stop complaining.. You still have so called unlimited(but cap on 100GB) plan.

    If you don't like then go to T-mobile or Sprint. They are much cheaper and unlimited.
    Oh.. T-mobile site shows unlimited plan -  during congestion the top 3% of data users (>28GB/mo.) may notice reduced speeds until next bill cycle.
    If there's a cap then its not unlimited. Its either capped at a certain amount or its unlimited. You can't have it both ways. It doesn't make any sense. This is like having the manager of a pizza place tell you that you can only eat four slices of pizza at an all you can eat buffet. Otherwise other people don't get to eat. Its easier to cap others vs just making more pizza and putting it out which is essentially what these carriers are doing. 
    edited January 10
  • Reply 19 of 32
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,352member
    foggyhill said:
    icoco3 said:

    ... $100 gigabytes of data per month for $450, ...
    That's a new kind of bandwidth...

    People just like to watch video on wireless it seems...have a friend who had unlimited and watched video all day long just because he could.  With all the WiFi around I just do not see the need for all that bandwidth over the carriers network.  Unlimited is unlimited and Verizon should have to honor existing contracts.  I thought at one time they wouldn't upgrade the phone without a new contract with data caps.
    Unlimited is unlimited data, they didn't promise a certain speed did they?
    Otherwise, in a future 1000Gb/s network speeds, they could run a large company through their phone plan and make service suck for everyone around them (especially if two or more are in the vicinity).
    Take a breath and read my post again.  I agree with what you are saying.  I used to have unlimited data on my ATT plan and never went over 2 gig.  Have a 30 gig plan now with 6 phones and usually do about 25 gig per month between them.  My comment was meant to mean that Verizon now is feeling the results of unlimited data in a new world of access and does need to shake them off.  That is why I said "I thought at one time they wouldn't upgrade the phone without a new contract with data caps."  That would have shook off quite a few and now there are stragglers.

    Still, unlimited is unlimited but some do abuse it for the sake of abusing it.


  • Reply 20 of 32
    sog35sog35 Posts: 12,375member
    icoco3 said:
    foggyhill said:
    icoco3 said:

    ... $100 gigabytes of data per month for $450, ...
    That's a new kind of bandwidth...

    People just like to watch video on wireless it seems...have a friend who had unlimited and watched video all day long just because he could.  With all the WiFi around I just do not see the need for all that bandwidth over the carriers network.  Unlimited is unlimited and Verizon should have to honor existing contracts.  I thought at one time they wouldn't upgrade the phone without a new contract with data caps.
    Unlimited is unlimited data, they didn't promise a certain speed did they?
    Otherwise, in a future 1000Gb/s network speeds, they could run a large company through their phone plan and make service suck for everyone around them (especially if two or more are in the vicinity).
    Take a breath and read my post again.  I agree with what you are saying.  I used to have unlimited data on my ATT plan and never went over 2 gig.  Have a 30 gig plan now with 6 phones and usually do about 25 gig per month between them.  My comment was meant to mean that Verizon now is feeling the results of unlimited data in a new world of access and does need to shake them off.  That is why I said "I thought at one time they wouldn't upgrade the phone without a new contract with data caps."  That would have shook off quite a few and now there are stragglers.

    Still, unlimited is unlimited but some do abuse it for the sake of abusing it.


    what is abuse and what is actual usage? 

    How do you judge is someone is abusing of not?

    These companies need to live up to their contractual obiligations. They said UNLIMITED so they need to offer UNLIMITED. PERIOD.

    For years they were bringing in BILLIONS because no one would use that much data on unlimited plans. But now that streaming has taken off they complain? 

    Go offer these people with unlimited plans $200 to get off the plan or some other incentive.

    But forcing people off the network because they are doing EXACTLY what they paid for is ILLEGAL.
    tallest skilteaearlegreyhot
Sign In or Register to comment.