AT&T to raise unlimited data plan pricing to $40 in March

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Just over a year after AT&T raised rates for subscribers grandfathered in to unlimited data plans, the company once again intends to bump up prices another $5 per month come March.

Starting in March 2017, AT&T, the nation's second-largest cellular carrier in the U.S., will raise rates for customers subscribed to legacy unlimited data plans from $35 to $40 per month. The rate increase follows an identical $5 per month bump instituted in February 2015.

The latest price hike was spotted earlier this week by DSLReports forum users who received word of the coming rate change via email. The website subsequently confirmed the policy modification with an AT&T representative.

"Our Mobile Share Advantage plans and our AT&T Unlimited Plan provide several benefits that our legacy unlimited plan doesn't. If you have a legacy unlimited data plan, you can keep it; however, beginning in March 2017, it will increase by $5 per month," AT&T said.

When reached for comment, AT&T furnished AppleInsider with the same statement.

Like competing mobile providers, AT&T introduced unlimited data plans years ago to lure in potential smartphone buyers. As the handsets became more popular, and at the same time more data-hungry, carriers replaced all-you-can-eat models with tiered plans. AT&T, the first carrier to offer unlimited data plans for iPhone in 2007, began to roll out capped tiers in June 2010.

In a bid to negate customer churn, telcos allowed subscribers to carry their unlimited plan in perpetuity. Once these grandfathered-in customers switch to a new plan, however, they can never go back.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    Bummer. 
    Sgt Storms(trooper)mike1jahbladejSnively
  • Reply 2 of 18
    I literally switched to Sprint today. I've been an ATT subscriber since they were Cingular in 2001. Raising the prices and throttling our unlimited plans are par for the course with ATT. Even with paying for new iPhones for 3 lines, Sprint is saving us $130 per month. That's even after having a corporate discount with ATT.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Looks like I'm finally bailing on AT&T.  I seriously considered it with my last two phones.  
    tallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 18
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I have no complaints about ATT other than they often have customer service people who have no idea what they're doing, or selling, or how to resolve a customer's issues.

I have a hefty 30% corporate discount through work off my already low rate plan, and ATT is by far, hands down the best mobile phone company in Los Angeles. Verizon may have a slight edge in some areas, but it's not worth the horrible customer service and constant nickel and diming.

That said, I long ago migrated from 2 year plans and buy my phones outright, so I can switch to any carrier at any time, and hold that threat over ATT every time I call over some issue to lower my rates.

I do wish I had had tethering sometimes, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that I had wifi calling on a recent overseas trip, which I didn't think I had.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    "Our Mobile Share Advantage plans and our AT&T Unlimited Plan provide several benefits that our legacy unlimited plan doesn't. If you have a legacy unlimited data plan, you can keep it; however, beginning in March 2017, it will increase by $5 per month," AT&T said.

AT&T's Mobile Share Advantage at the 1GB/month rate (their lowest tier) costs $30/month plus $20 monthly "access charge" if you use "Smartphones, Basic & Messaging Phones" (WTF phone isn't one of these phones?) and it’s a $40 monthly access charge if you are on a 2 year agreement. The 100GB/month tier is $450/month + access charge.

Apparently the several benefits are mostly to AT&T in terms of reduced data and higher prices.

brakkendigital_guy
  • Reply 6 of 18
    buccibucci Posts: 100member
    Check out AT&T's prepaid plans.  $40/month for unlimited talk/text, and 4GB data.  A second line is $35.  I don't know why anyone would choose anything other than prepaid now-a-days...
  • Reply 7 of 18
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I literally switched to Sprint today. I've been an ATT subscriber since they were Cingular in 2001. Raising the prices and throttling our unlimited plans are par for the course with ATT. Even with paying for new iPhones for 3 lines, Sprint is saving us $130 per month. That's even after having a corporate discount with ATT.

And just as many are switching from Sprint to AT&T because Sprint has offended them in some way. Look ,everybody has some kind of axe to grind against somebody. The facts are that Verizon and AT&T are first and second respectively in the mobile network business and both continue to grow subscribers. There’s got to be a reason that Sprint, T-Mobile are also-rans. And it’s easy to bitch about rates, data caps, throttling, business practices, etc., but in the end they are all similar. It’s just matter of personal perception. These are for-profit companies who built their networks to make money.  Sprint will make you grind your teeth at some point too. Verizon is “purging” its high use unlimited data subscribers. Sprint and T-Mobile will eventually follow suit to stay in business. Unlimited data is getting very expensive.
    edited January 2017 djkfisher
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Hum, I doubt that Sprint is going to bring you what you want....
  • Reply 9 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    In a bid to negate customer churn, telcos allowed subscribers to carry their unlimited plan in perpetuity. 
    Correction: In a bid to negate customer churn, telcos allowed subscribers to carry their unlimited plan until such time as it's no longer financially viable for them to offer the option.

Too many believe there's some legally binding contract that prevents AT&T from raising prices or dropping the plan altogether with the use of grandfathered. 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Soli said:
    In a bid to negate customer churn, telcos allowed subscribers to carry their unlimited plan in perpetuity. 
    Correction: In a bid to negate customer churn, telcos allowed subscribers to carry their unlimited plan until such time as it's no longer financially viable for them to offer the option.

Too many believe there's some legally binding contract that prevents AT&T from raising prices or dropping the plan altogether with the use of grandfathered. 
    Grandfathered means your keeping your current plan... Until they don't allow you too. It's mostly a good faith measure; to keep the user with from bolting (cause those that initially had those big plans were those with big expensive plans, those that were most profitable). But, with time, the value of keeping those people decreased until it was better to let them go.

Many do seem to think its some kind of till death contract (which would be way dumb and probably unenforceable).
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 11 of 18
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Heh, just activated on t-mobile. 5 lines. Been with Cingular since 2005ish.

Bye!
  • Reply 12 of 18
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member

...So Cingular in '01...Unlimited data on your iPhone...

hmmm...i would consider it fully appropriate for AT&T to supply the grandfathered plans with unlimited data at the original data rates @ which you subscribed. Seems logical.

(i was also one of the lucky to be with AT&T through the switch to Cingular & then back to AT&T. now i am with TMobile, because they actually seem to give a sh*t what their customers want, and understand that there are multiple competitors with *very* little actual differences)

• Reply 13 of 18
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    They only make 5 billion quarter.  Better raise rates again!  Screw all these companies.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member
    frankie said:
    They only make 5 billion quarter.  Better raise rates again!  Screw all these companies.

Supreme Court has said corporations are people too, so i think DC will just work to give them more power (as per usual).

Build a wall around the swamp! Make the lower class pay for it!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Here is a petition to ask Congress to stop them from raising rates on customers with contracts.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/att-raising-rates-customers-contracted-rate-second-time
  • Reply 16 of 18
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    ezra13027 said:
    Here is a petition to ask Congress to stop them from raising rates on customers with contracts.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/att-raising-rates-customers-contracted-rate-second-time
    That's one surefire way to shoot yourself in the foot. Don't you people think this stuff through before you grab your pitchforks and torches?
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 17 of 18
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    foggyhill said:
    Grandfathered means your keeping your current plan... Until they don't allow you too. It's mostly a good faith measure;
    This ^. 'Good faith' being the operative phrase. Every time my contract was up, which is when I got a new phone, it was a concern as to whether or not I'd get unlimited data. Now, that's not really a concern. I get a 30% corp. discount, but might look into a prepaid plan, as I'm currently out of contract.

bucci said:
    Check out AT&T's prepaid plans.  $40/month for unlimited talk/text, and 4GB data.  A second line is $35.  I don't know why anyone would choose anything other than prepaid now-a-days...
    This is worth looking into. That's plenty for me, and could be cheaper than my Corp. discount. BTW once everybody throws in their taxes, doesn't feel so cheap.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Cold dead hands. I can deal with the extra $5 to not have to worry about if I'm going over my data limit for the month or worrying if there is going to be free wifi wherever I am going. I'll stick with the plan until it isn't financially viable which won't manifest for a long time at their current rate of price hikes. I'll probably be a 'grandfather' before that happens ;) My last two phones I bought outright so I don't have to worry about the new-contract-no-unlimited talk. Only thing I have to deal with is the occasional AT&T text stating they may throttle me during peak usage if I exceed 16 GB in the month.