US appeals court reopens Apple v. Samsung iPhone design suit in wake of Supreme Court ruli...

Posted:
in iPhone
In the aftermath of a critical Supreme Court ruling, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit has reopened a long-standing Apple lawsuit accusing Samsung of copying the iPhone's design.

The court has reinstated Samsung's appeal in a single-paragraph order, and simultaneously tossed a ruling ordering the Korean company to pay Apple $399 million, Law360 said late on Thursday. It will now be up to the Federal Circuit to decide how much Samsung actually owes.

In early December, the Supreme Court sided with Samsung's position that a company can't be forced to pay the whole profits from an infringing device when only some components are violating patents. Samsung previously likened this to surrendering the whole profits from a car because of an infringing cupholder.

The core lawsuit has been in progress for over five years, specifically charging Samsung with copying the original iPhone's design, pointing to elements like bezels and home screen layouts. While Apple won a court victory in 2012 awarding it over $1 billion in damages, that amount came down dramatically in subsequent retrials.

After the original iPhone was released in 2007, Samsung quickly adapted the look and functions of its own phones, taking on similar aesthetics and switching to a touch-based interface.

Apple's eventual lawsuit, however, was believed to be as much about Google's Android, the OS behind most Samsung devices. Former Apple Chief Steve Jobs considered Android "stolen," and threatened to go to "thermonuclear war" over the issue. Under Tim Cook, Apple has gradually wound down most Android-related legal actions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    >Samsung steals the entire car.

"Its only a cup holder!!!"
    palominewonkothesaneanton zuykovapplepieguycornchipwatto_cobrapotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 2 of 15
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Samsung' plan all along is to infringe,make boatloads of money, extend any lawsuit against them for forever, infringe on other patents, repeat. 
    caliapplepieguycornchipwatto_cobrapotatoleeksoup
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Sounds like tryng to apply one country law to other regions business mentality, culture and practices. It is really hard to eliminate something that is acceptable in other region. Asia is about making cheap copies in addition to it's own genuine products. If Asian product is copied elswghere I do not belive that would be that big fuss. I know it is hard to accept that and one needs to fight for market and profit fairness, but we need to relaize the facts of life even if we do not agree with them to function in separate jurisdiction.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    cali said:

And that is dumbest argument I've ever heard. It's more like "Samsung steals the entire car...from the look, shape, interior, how to start the engine and bunch more little deatails..."
    spice-boyrob53caliicoco3cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 15
    fallenjt said:
    cali said:

And that is dumbest argument I've ever heard. It's more like "Samsung steals the entire car...from the look, shape, interior, how to start the engine and bunch more little deatails..."
    But there is no certainlty that anyone in the Jury will support the common sense argument and side with Apple.
    If Samsung ends up winning then Apple may well have to pay Samsung a few Billion which anyone with half a brain can see is wrong but the Wonderful US Legal System allows this charade to go on and on and on and on.
    Remember SCO sued IBM in 2003. The case despite SCO ceasing to exist years ago is not totally over. Don't you just love US Law.(not)

calilamboaudi4watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    If President Trump is going all out to support American companies than it's time to flex some muscle and get behind Apple if no other reason than the huge tax revenue to this country 
    calicornchipwatto_cobraMacPro
  • Reply 7 of 15
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    fallenjt said:
    cali said:

That cup holder analogy makes me mad.  It's more like they stole the bodywork of a Porsche and put in on a Hyundai.  The fact is that many people wouldn't have bought a Samsung phone at all if it didn't look and work much like an iPhone and that is why Apple is entitled to those stolen profits.
    calianton zuykovlamboaudi4cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    This should have its own show on TruTV.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    fallenjt said:
    cali said:

Take that "cup holder" away and the phone doesn't exist. You wouldn't even be able to use it.

metrix said:
    If President Trump is going all out to support American companies than it's time to flex some muscle and get behind Apple if no other reason than the huge tax revenue to this country 

I say he forces all knockoffs pay licensing fees or they cannot sell in the U.S.
    If Trump wants to make America great again he needs to stand by companies who make America great.
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    williamh said:
    fallenjt said:
    cali said:

That cup holder analogy makes me mad.  It's more like they stole the bodywork of a Porsche and put in on a Hyundai.  The fact is that many people wouldn't have bought a Samsung phone at all if it didn't look and work much like an iPhone and that is why Apple is entitled to those stolen profits.
    No the cup holder analogy is fine. What they fail to mention is that without that cup holder design the car would have been nothing. You know, every Tom, Dick and Harry makes a car but there is only one that has that cupholder that everybody wants. 

Personally I think the judicial system is just milking the whole thing for what it is worth. They don't care who pay's who as long as the case keeps on going feeding countless lawyers as it rolls. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 15
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    This is getting ridiculous...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 15
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    fallenjt said:
    cali said:

But there is no certainlty that anyone in the Jury will support the common sense argument and side with Apple.
    If Samsung ends up winning then Apple may well have to pay Samsung a few Billion which anyone with half a brain can see is wrong but the Wonderful US Legal System allows this charade to go on and on and on and on.
    Remember SCO sued IBM in 2003. The case despite SCO ceasing to exist years ago is not totally over. Don't you just love US Law.(not)

Apple will not have to pay Samsung anything. Apple is the plaintiff
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 15
    cali said:

Apple contracted with Samsung to build its product on their production line.
    To what company anywhere would it ever be acceptable to build a parallel production line and put your brand on your customers product?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 15
    sdw2001 said:
    fallenjt said:
    cali said:

Apple will not have to pay Samsung anything. Apple is the plaintiff
    Yes, but some people never give up hope that "Apple will pay Samsung."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    With the Federal Circuit on a roll lately with questionable rulings in this case watch for yet another Samsung appeal to be accepted by SCOTUS in the very near future. This time it will be over their refusal to consider any arguments or even hold a hearing in Samsung's appeal of issues in the related $118Million utility patent damages judgment part of the "Billion-dollar trial".
    edited February 2017