New Swift project head Ted Kremenek said to be running the show behind the scenes for some...

Posted:
in Mac Software
Apple senior manager Ted Kremenek has been named as the new lead of the Swift development project, and has apparently been operating in that capacity for some time behind the scenes, according to outgoing head Chris Lattner.

On Jan. 10, Lattner told the Swift Evolution mailing list that he was departing Apple for another opportunity, which turned out to be Tesla. In the email, Lattner announced that Kremenec would be taking over for him as the lead of the Swift project.

"This recognizes the incredible effort he has already been putting into the project," wrote Lattner. "This decision wasn't made lightly, and I want you all to know that I'm still completely committed to Swift."

Lattner clarified the appointment in a second email, saying that Kremenek had been operating in the project lead capacity for some time, behind the scenes.

"Ted has been one of the quiet but incredible masterminds behind Swift (and Clang, and the Clang Static Analyzer) for many years," wrote Lattner in the second email. "His approach and modesty has led many to misunderstand the fact that he has actually been running the Swift team for quite some time (misattributing it to me)."

Kremenek obtained a degree in computer science from UCLA, and a doctorate in Philosophy from Stanford. Kremenec was hired by Apple In 2007, and was the principal architect and original engineer of the Clang Static Analyzer that ultimately ended up in Xcode.

In Sept. 2009 to 2013, Kremenek worked on the LLVM Front-end team. Currently, he is a senior manager of languages and runtimes at Apple, and is is responsible for implementing the programming language support in Apple's compilers for Swift, Objective-C, C, and C++.

Lattner was hired by Tesla, and is the company's new vice president of autopilot software. According to colleagues, Lattner was disillusioned by Apple's "culture of secrecy," which is one of the factors that led to his departure from Apple.

"Apple is a truly amazing place to be able to assemble the skills, imagination, and discipline to pull something like this off," Lattner said about his time at Apple. "Swift is in great shape today, and Swift 4 will be a really strong release with Ted as the Project Lead. "
loquitur

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    Gee, why did Chris have to go and say that?

He literally took the wind out of the sails of all the haters and naysayers predicting more doom and gloom for Apple and Swift.
    Notsofastcalitmayjbishop1039paxmanStrangeDaysfracloquiturcornchip
  • Reply 2 of 27
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    He's been running it at least 4 months since that was the last time you see any commits from Chris...
  • Reply 3 of 27
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member

He literally took the wind out of the sails of all the haters and naysayers predicting more doom and gloom for Apple and Swift.
    He also tweeted this today

calitmayjbishop1039asdasdpatchythepiratebloggerblogStrangeDaysloquiturcornchip
  • Reply 4 of 27

and that is the bigger deal....  getting the 'tech media' to clamor over 'Apple isn't Open' and use Chris' exit as evidence of that meme is sort of counter intelligence/pump&dump/'fake news'/clickbait stuff that causes discussions to spiral away from 'is Swift a compelling application development language?'

Notsofast
  • Reply 5 of 27

Oops he did it again.
    caliNotsofastStrangeDays
  • Reply 6 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Much ado about nothing. 
  • Reply 7 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Hmm people are actually calling the media out on their BS lately. I like it.
    NotsofastStrangeDaysmonstrosity
  • Reply 8 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    A couple of days ago, I said:

Yes, the fact that Lattner is leaving is news, but here's another one no one looked at:

Who's the guy replacing him?

From a little digging around the internet, Ted Kremenek is a Stanford PhD who has been working in engineering lead positions at Apple since 2007. His field of expertise is languages and runtimes, having worked on the same projects as Lattner.  Having a look at his entries on the mailing list shows that he's actually been doing a lot more of the management of Swift since mid-2016, so I think Apple has been planning for this for quite some time. What Kremenek lacks is the 'rock-star' status afforded by a project like LLVM, but that doesn't mean he's not capable of taking Swift forward. I'm going to see how he does.

Yes, Lattner is not another programmer, but that doesn't mean he's irreplaceable, especially if you've known for quite some time that he's leaving.

Maybe I should start my own click-bait site.

But more importantly, well done Lattner for setting the record straight and demonstrating the lack of work-ethic and honesty in today click-bait driven media.

While all falling all over themselves to reprint this 'lack of openness' story, not one of these sites stopped to look at the facts.

Swift has been open sourced
    The team regularly posts details of current bugs and future plans. (The removal of explicit notation for currying leads me to believe that Swift is a lot closer to Python than it is to Java)
    Swift has been ported to Linux
    There are already a number of well-designed and documented development frameworks and toolsets from IBM and others.

So where the hell is this 'lack of openness' that everyone is bleating about? Yes, Apple is secretive, but common sense should have told folk that 'being unable to talk' was not the reason he left; Lattner has been talking right up until mid-2016

Swift is in excellent hands (and not just Apple's).

edited January 2017 StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 9 of 27
    What's BS is that Apple rumor sites would even link to a stupid Business Insider export using unnamed sources.
    caliNotsofastStrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 10 of 27
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    What's BS is that Apple rumor sites would even link to a stupid Business Insider export using unnamed sources.
    Same as it ever was.
    caliloquitur
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Before this thread is done, someone will swoop in here and claim that Apple made him to say that. I can't say his name, but it rhymes with GassedBore

• Reply 12 of 27
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This also shows Swift is doing and will do fine, maybe even better. 
  • Reply 13 of 27
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member

Very interesting!

It's been hard for me to assess the validity of complaints about secrecy. I understand that people who might want to become academics needs a paper publication trail and so might not like the idea of being forbidden from publishing. 

But how essential is it to hire those people, and does anyone other than them care about this sort of thing? 

• Reply 14 of 27
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    blastdoor said:

Very interesting!

It's been hard for me to assess the validity of complaints about secrecy. I understand that people who might want to become academics needs a paper publication trail and so might not like the idea of being forbidden from publishing. 

But how essential is it to hire those people, and does anyone other than them care about this sort of thing? 

" I understand that people who might want to become academics needs a paper publication trail and so might not like the idea of being forbidden from publishing. "

Apple is now letting their AI researchers publish academic papers

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/12/26/apples-first-ai-research-paper-focuses-on-computer-vision
  • Reply 15 of 27
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Well that story was bollocks to begin with because swift is full open source. It's on github 
  • Reply 16 of 27
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

:smile:  Quite. And how often do people in roles of great responsibility just up and leave? Just because we haven't heard anything here at the AI forums doesn't mean nothing is happening at Apple HQ. We are not privy to internal conversations, strategic planning and handover details, but I am pretty sure these things happen on a daily basis. 

caliStrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 27
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    tmay said:
    Same as it ever was.
    blastdoor said:

Very interesting!

Not necessarily because they want to become academics, but because people in the intelligence business, both human and artificial, want to be part of the field's discussion at the highest level, which means both academic and corporate. This tells us how we've entered another industrial age, where companies like Google and Apple are in the same business as the universities: knowledge.

And knowledge wants to be freely exchanged and discussed. 
    apple jockey
  • Reply 18 of 27
    asdasd said:

Well that story was bollocks to begin with because swift is full open source. It's on github 
    It one thing to open source the language, it's another thing to take the technologies and marry them into products...  

When you make your own compilers AND your own SOC (CPU, GPU, RAM, Cache, etc.), and your own OS, you have an amazing level of high powered genius in the room, and the potential for a lot of research and publications.   and my guess is  This IS Apple's Competitive advantage, and I wouldn't be surprised that the compiler designers, the chip designers, and the Kernel developers are limited by Apple Management in what they can say to the world writ large.   

I don't think it's the case here, as I see Chris moving on to a new technical challenge, and not to be the next Richard Stallman.
    tmaycornchip
  • Reply 19 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    This has been a troubling week in Apple fake news, but on grand scheme of things, at least we learned that Donald Trump likes to be peed in the face by Russians hookers... so there's that.

Sorry but that's also fake news.
    monstrosity
  • Reply 20 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    So much for all the serious hand-wringing from the regular hand-wringers. They'll have to cherrypick the next controversy for items to fit their DOOM narrative.