Palm to release new consumer PDA's on 10/7...Anyone have info about them??

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My GF's B-day is this saturday (10-5) and I'm planning on getting her a Palm m130. The thing is, I heard that Palm would be announcing new PDA's next Monday.

Do any of you know what new features these will have? I'm trying to decide if I should get her a Palm now or give her a card w/ a 'raincheck.'

A real gift will definitely go over better, so I'm inclined not to wait.

If any of you know about these new Palms, please share.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    A bunch of information from <a href="http://www.geek.com"; target="_blank">Geek.com</a>:

[quote]A reliable source has sent word that Palm is definitely planning to release two new models in October. The first is the Zire, which is expected to be an entry level OS 4.1 model. The more exciting news, though, is that the rumored OS 5 device is expected to ship. The Tungsten T, as it's being called currently, is powered by an ARM processor and will include a pop out Graffiti area, an SD/MMC slot, built-in Bluetooth, and built-in voice recording. Expect the Tungsten at the end of October and the Zire at the beginning of October.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]According to my source, he had a couple of things slightly wrong in Tuesday's post. First off, Zire and Tungsten are "brands," not actually model names. Zire will be the entry retail brand name, and Tungsten will be the high-end corporate brand name. As for the Zire, it will sport a mini USB cable and separate charging cable that can connect directly to the unit--no cradle or universal connector. The Tungsten, on the other hand, will feature "One-handed Navigation" with a center button. The screen will be 320x320 reflective TFT, and the units will include a headphone jack, microphone, and speaker.<hr></blockquote>

[quote]My source has supplied me with this photo of a model in the Zire family of Palms set to come out in October (click on it for the large version). According to previous information, the Zire will sport a mini USB cable and separate charging cable that can connect directly to the unit--no cradle or universal connector.<hr></blockquote>

Click <a href="http://www.geek.com/pdageek/pics/zire1.jpg"; target="_blank">here</a> for a "leaked" picture of the Zire.

According to <a href="http://www.gizmodo.com"; target="_blank">Gizmodo</a>, the entry model Zire will cost just $99.

I don't know how accurate any of this information is, though.

I quite like the cut of <a href="http://www.infosync.no/news/2002/n/2317.html"; target="_blank">these fella's</a> jibs.

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: Belle ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 9
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
    Not sure this is Future Apple Hardware topic so I will send this to General Discussion.

On another note Palm STILL does not get it and they will not make money until they do get it. If a Blackberry can be on ALL the time, then every single Palm should be.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Bodhi:

<strong>Not sure this is Future Apple Hardware topic so I will send this to General Discussion.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dangit, should have noticed that. Thank you for cleaning up, Bodhi.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    bodhibodhi Posts: 1,424member
  • Reply 5 of 9
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    who still buys PDAs? honestly...

The only reason I bought my Palm III was for contacts, reminders, and an ocasional game.

My Nokia phone now provides all that.

Heck... I should sell my Palm. I haven't used it in months anymore. Probably worth something like 50? or so... if that much.

Bah, might as well keep it and then dust it off in 10 years and chuckle and wonder if it still works and then tinker with it and, if i have kids, give it to them to play with.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Uh... I'm not trying to be difficult with our wonderful mods and all, but shouldn't this have been moved to Digital Hub?

• Reply 7 of 9
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I went to Best Buy last night and messed around w/the PDAs. After looking at the Palm m130, my attention shifted to the Sony Clie. The color model is very cool. I'm going to look around on-line today and try to learn more about it.

Who uses PDAs? Well, hopefully my GF. She does emergency vet surgery, goes to school, and runs a pet-sitting business...she's busy. But most of all, she always is making lists and schedules. Right now, she uses a calendar (like you'd hang on the wall).

BTW, the forum is called 'Future Hardware' not 'Future Apple Hardware.' No big deal. Thanks for the replies.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Frank777:

<strong>Uh... I'm not trying to be difficult with our wonderful mods and all, but shouldn't this have been moved to Digital Hub?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I debated this one after Bodhi moved it, but I think he made the right decision.

From the topic title, I figured it would be an industry discussion about manufacturers and rumors and new models and stuff. It seemed more of a general interest topic than a specific "Apple and PDA" topic.

So there.

Now some other mod will disagree and move it.

[quote]Originally posted by Keda:

<strong>BTW, the forum is called 'Future Hardware' not 'Future Apple Hardware.' No big deal. Thanks for the replies.</strong><hr></blockquote>

True, but any discussions in Future Hardware that don't mention the G5 or frickin' tablet PCs tend to be ignored.

[quote]<strong>who still buys PDAs? honestly...

[...]

My Nokia phone now provides all that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree, but I may change my mind if PDAs advance a little. I spend a horrendous amount of my working day responding to e-mails, at the lab, at home, and while I'm out and about (Which is a lot just now, because I'm on semi-vacation).

If I could find a device that was comfortable to read and write my longwinded e-mails on, I wouldn't have to haul my laptop around.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    The Palm Zire is a black & white handheld with 2 Mb of storage for under $100. It has two buttons (Contacts and Date Book), and two arrow buttons for scrolling up and down. It's made for people who need a PIM, but want something more flexible than the cheap gizmos at your Wal-Mart checkout counter.

It's got plenty of space for your address book, to-do list and calendar, but wouldn't have much room for games or other add-on Palm software. So, if your GF isn't going to need to read eBooks on her device, or do work on spreadsheets 'n such, the Zire may be perfect for her.