Is the rumored iPhone 8 OLED wrap around screen actually useful or just cool?

Posted:
in iPhone
I have been following the discussions here and other places about the rumored iPhone 8 features.  An OLED wrap around screen seems to be predicted by most pundits.  My question is:  Are there some useful new features which an OLED iPhone 8 could implement such as squeezing and something happens or is a wrap around screen just new "cool looking" technology?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I’d say neither. I don’t see what use it has–other than accidental touches–and how is anything that has no use ‘cool’? OLED? Okay, sure. The contrast on those is spectacular. A curved device? Unless it’s more ergonomic and sits in a pocket better, why do it? And a screen that wraps around the device? What good can that do?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I have been following the discussions here and other places about the rumored iPhone 8 features.  An OLED wrap around screen seems to be predicted by most pundits.  My question is:  Are there some useful new features which an OLED iPhone 8 could implement such as squeezing and something happens or is a wrap around screen just new "cool looking" technology?

I'll let you know when we have the slightest idea what it might be.