Google struggling to meet consumer demand for iPhone 7 rival Pixel

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Google is having a hard time matching production to demand for its rival to Apple's iPhone 7, the Pixel -- and particularly 5.5-inch Pixel XL models, according to a report.

All colors and configurations of the XL -- sold in 32- and 128-gigabyte capacities -- are currently out of stock at Google's online store, The Verge said. Indeed the 128-gigabyte model hasn't been in stock since Nov. 30.

Verizon, Google's carrier partner for the Pixel, is quoting shipping times in the second week of March for the 128-gigabyte XL. In-store the option has been almost totally unavailable.

While the standard 5-inch Pixel is easier to find, both from Google and Verizon, its 128-gigabyte model is reportedly low in stock at Verizon outlets, and the carrier's online shipments may still take weeks to arrive. Black ones won't ship until February, and white ones are due as late as March.

"We're aware about the inventory issues on the Google Store and Verizon," a Google spokesperson told The Verge. "Honestly, demand has exceeded our expectations. We're doing our best to restock on an ongoing basis."

Third-party retailer Best Buy has also been dealing with short inventory, despite only selling 32-gigabyte Pixels.

"Demand for the Pixel isn't a tenth of that for the iPhone 7, and we were close in our guesses," AppleInsider was told by a source within Best Buy's corporate headquarters. "But, we underestimated demand anyway."

The Pixel is Google's first self-designed phone, but manufactured by HTC, which may not have the capacity to keep up with Google's orders at the same time as it works on its own devices. If so that could severely hamper Pixel sales, since people faced with waiting a month or two might opt to buy something like the iPhone 7 or Samsung Galaxy S7 instead.

Google's phone already has small but significant marketshare in the U.S, though it's still vastly outmatched by Apple and Samsung.

The Pixel hasn't benchmarked as well as the iPhone 7, but has been critically praised for features like Google Assistant and its high-quality camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 101
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

That is because Google is using most of the same suppliers as every other cellphone company including Apple and they are on the bottom of the priority list to get parts during constrain supply situation like exist right now. Plus apple has invested in manufacturing capacities at their suppliers so they get first priority on parts. This is what happens when you have Software/Ad company trying to get into the hardware business and does not understand the challenges of the supply chains.

Sold out is code for they do not have supply it does not mean people are actually buying it like crazy.

edited January 2017 calipatchythepirategeorge liequality72521jas99Dreid1jahbladeradarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 101
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    I wonder how this is playing with the other Android phone manufacturers. They build up the market and Google takes the profitable part. It must leave a bitter taste in their mouths.
    slprescottgeorge lilarryajas99The_Martini_Catflashfan207jbdragonradarthekatwilliamlondonAppleInsider
  • Reply 3 of 101
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    maestro64 said:

That is because Google is using most of the same suppliers as every other cellphone company including Apple and they are on the bottom of the priority list to get parts during constrain supply situation like exist right now. Plus apple has invested in manufacturing capacities at their suppliers so they get first priority on parts. This is what happens when you have Software/Ad company trying to get into the hardware business and does not understand the challenges of the supply chains.

Sold out is code with they do not have supply it does not mean people are actually buying it like crazy.

This is true.  

Though I don't believe they are deliberately constraining supply, being sold out could mean your popular, or it could mean you can't make enough for the very few who want to buy it.  

In in the end, sales is what counts. 
    caliStrangeDaysjas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    I'm quite surprised that it's selling somewhat well for a first release, particularly one that wasn't what Google had actually planned to do and at a relatively high iPhone-like price for all versions. A similar story at another site showed the Pixel making up 8% of Verizon's new smartphone activations. 
    Roger_Fingasjbdragon
  • Reply 5 of 101
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,273member
    I would imagine that Samsung's difficulties would benefit Pixel sales amongst Android loyalists.
    jas99radarthekat[Deleted User]
  • Reply 6 of 101
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Oh course the tech media will trump this as an iPhone killer and a success!

calislprescottStrangeDaysjas99lostkiwiwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 101
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    It's possible Google's doing ok with the Pixel, with all the confusion over Samsung's burning phones. As you know if you have taken a recent flight in the U.S., the damage and confusion this is creating for the Samsung brand will take years to repair. The Samsung Galaxy Note7 is banned, but other very similar sounding phones are not. But, because the Android platform will always have a few popular phones, someone is sure to take up the slack from Samsung.
    jas99radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 101

I have two co-workers who switched from their iPhones to the Pixel, and they like it.

One of them misses the cohesiveness of iOS but still likes his Pixel. Google seems to be bending backwards to give their customers a good support.

Fyi, the Pixel is manufactured by LG.

tzeshanwilliamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 101
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When iHaters call this "a BEAUTIFUL phone" it gets to be like nothing else. I have a big pet peeve for ignorant people.

If this iKnockoff steals scraps from other droids, why don't they give up and start developing technologies for Apple? At least they'll make some sort of profit.

Then again, Apple probably doesn't want them because really, what do they offer?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 101
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

mike1 said:
    I would imagine that Samsung's difficulties would benefit Pixel sales amongst Android loyalists.
    Good point.
    jas99watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 101
    For all the crap that Apple fans get from the Android crowd, the Pixel seems like it is attracting buyers who simply want a Google product, regardless of the fact that it looks like the iPhone and is lacking many of the features of the iPhone and many other Android competitors.  
    jas99The_Martini_Catcaliradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 101
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mike1 said:
    The Pixel is just another in a long line of iPhone “killers” to come along. So-called Android loyalists are looking for the next White Knight in Shining Armor to slay the Apple dragon now that Samsung’s brand is tarnished. A lot of Fandroids have been unhappy with Samsung’s relentless chase to be more like Apple, that is, in terms of sealed batteries, ports, SD slots, etc. There is no reason to believe that the Pixel will fare any better than the Nexus did in terms of market share but the hype is there nonetheless.
    Rayz2016patchythepiratejas99lostkiwipscooter63caliradarthekatwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 101
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

I have two co-workers who switched from their iPhones to the Pixel, and they like it.

One of them misses the cohesiveness of iOS but still likes his Pixel. Google seems to be bending backwards to give their customers a good support.

Fyi, the Pixel is manufactured by LG.

Fake news?  If true, Google has been lying since the beginning.  The Pixel is actually specified by Google, designed by HTC, manufactured by LG. 
    glynhjas99williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 101
    If I would every switch to an Android eco-system I would choose this phone. At least I could get updates to most current spy-ware OS.
    davenradarthekat[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 101
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,153member
    lkrupp said:
    mike1 said:
    The Pixel is just another in a long line of iPhone “killers” to come along. So-called Android loyalists are looking for the next White Knight in Shining Armor to slay the Apple dragon now that Samsung’s brand is tarnished. A lot of Fandroids have been unhappy with Samsung’s relentless chase to be more like Apple, that is, in terms of sealed batteries, ports, SD slots, etc. There is no reason to believe that the Pixel will fare any better than the Nexus did in terms of market share but the hype is there nonetheless.
    Most people aren't hard fans of any particular platform. They simply want a smartphone in a size they like. with a display that looks the way they think it should, with features they think they'll use and a a price that meets their budget.. Most are not worthy of being tagged with an insulting name simply because they didn't make the same choice you or someone else made. 
    singularityfracwigginrevenantwilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 101
    Despite selling at same prices as iPhone 7/7Plus, Google will lose money on Pixel.  It can afford lose money.  Google makes too much money selling ads.  It loses money on every other hobby it went in. The way Pixel is put out, it is not going to be profitable despite its high prices. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 101
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    Wait couple of months when LG G6, Sony, Chinese and Samsung Galaxy S8 is out. Current situation is so much favorable to Pixel due to Samsung's fiasco, LG's modular G5 kind of dud and rest android phones same. And mighty iPhone 7S/8 not too far behind.
    edited January 2017 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 101
    It's nice that Android users have a lot of choices as most of the time they won't buy a phone from the same maker twice - in hopes that the next one won't suck. 
    andrewj5790patchythepiratelarryacaliStrangeDaysdouglas baileyrf9radarthekat[Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 101
    I ask Siri how heavy iPhone 7 Plus is.  It refers me to Apple.com.  I asked again what is the weight of iPhone 7 Plus.  It refers me to Apple.com again. Apparently Siri can only do keyword search but it can not understand a sentence. This is really primitive R&D engineering using grep.  No artificial intelligence. 
    patchythepiratebrucemcjonmast
  • Reply 20 of 101
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    lmac said:
    As you know if you have taken a recent flight in the U.S.
    Not only USA...
    watto_cobra