Samsung 'Galaxy S8' assistant Bixby said to use camera-based visual search to take on Siri...

Posted:
in iPhone
Samsung is rumored to offer visual search capabilities in the upcoming "Galaxy S8," allowing users to search for objects identified in a photograph, representing the South Korean company's latest attempt at a Siri-like virtual assistant.

Samsung's rumored "Galaxy S8" owners will be able to launch the service, expected to be known as Bixby, within the handset's camera app, according to sources of SamMobile. Bixby will analyze the shot, identifying objects in the frame, and performing optical character recognition on visible text, with both objects and text then usable to perform searches.

The functionality appears to be similar to Google Goggles, an app that performs similar object and text recognition from images, but it is claimed Bixby will take the concept further. A "high degree of interconnectedness to other applications" will let detected items and language to be used in other apps, such as to help find where to buy a detected product, or to offer to buy it for the user through an online store.

Aside from the camera app, it is rumored Bixby will also be summoned by a dedicated button on the side of the "Galaxy S8."

Bixby's features are likely to have come from Viv Labs, the startup created by former Apple employees and Siri co-founders Dag Kittlaus, Adam Cheyer, and Chris Bringham. Last October, Samsung acquired the firm and its 30 employees for an undisclosed sum.

Viv's first showed off its technology in 2014 as a progression from closed automated assistants, such as Siri and Google Voice Search, with its connectivity to third-party services allowing far more functions to be performed through the interface. For example, a user could look up the times for movies, ticket prices, showtimes, order tickets, and make pre-show reservations for food, all within the same session.

The rumored app interconnectedness of Bixby may be one of multiple ways Samsung is trying to bring its Galaxy smartphones to the same level as the iPhone and other connected services. Samsung is thought to be taking on Apple's HealthKit and CareKit in the "Galaxy S8," with a new S Health app offering video appointments with doctors, symptom and illness search, and other medical-related functions.

Depending on the rumor, Samsung may launch the "Galaxy S8" during Mobile World Congress at the end of February, but there is also the suggestion Samsung is delaying the launch until as late as April.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Bixby, play "Light My Fire."

No Bixby, don't light my phone on fire. Play the song by The Doors.  

Couple of observations:

1)could they possibly have come up with a name that is more douchebaggy? 

2) some of the features sound rather good. But wasn't OCR of text in an image part of some app on the early iPhones? I recall an app that would automatically translate on street signs, etc. I never had the app though.Where did that go?
    StrangeDaysdewmeRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 34
    Yes, let's hand over our medical data to Samsung. Honestly I'm amazed, with all the yelling about privacy issues, that anyone would use a Samsung.
    calipropodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 34
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    doubt it will be all that practical or even work consistently. Didn't Google shutter Goggles? 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 34
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I want this feature almost every day now. It would do for objects what Shazam does for music. 
  • Reply 5 of 34
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    williamh said:

Rochester? Yes sir,Mr. Benny.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 34
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    No wonder Siri is stagnant.  The co-founders all left Apple. Then because of Tim Cook rigid management style, he does not find replacements.
    brucemc
  • Reply 7 of 34
    I am sure google's android hoover will love to suck all that info up.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 34
    And this is what happens when your Bixby phone explodes on your nads...

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 34
    Samsung still desperately wanting to be like Apple (in complete control over hardware & software). Problem is they tied themselves to Android, so they're never in complete control. And yet they still try so hard with all the Samsung proprietary features that are already present in Android. I just don't get it. 
    caliStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 34
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Samsung still desperately wanting to be like Apple (in complete control over hardware & software). Problem is they tied themselves to Android, so they're never in complete control. And yet they still try so hard with all the Samsung proprietary features that are already present in Android. I just don't get it. 
    I wonder what ever happened to Samsung using Tinzen in phones. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 34
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I've thought of a similar idea before but I believe Firefly was the first to start this.

I wonder what ever happened to Samsung using Tinzen in phones. 
    My theory is Goog bribed them to stay. At the time Tizen was a huge threat to Goog.

mac_128 said:
    I want this feature almost every day now. It would do for objects what Shazam does for music. 

Don't worry it'll be on iOS soon, like all knockoff features.
  • Reply 12 of 34
    tzeshan said:
    No wonder Siri is stagnant.  The co-founders all left Apple. Then because of Tim Cook rigid management style, he does not find replacements.
    Boy that's a lot of baseless opinion and rumor presented as fact. "No wonder"
    lenasmiffy31patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    tzeshan said:

Siri isn't stagnant, it gets better with every iOS version. 

What is indisputably trash, however, is your post, which contains baseless lies and baseless assumptions. 
    mejsriclenasmiffy31propodwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    slurpy said:
    Siri isn't stagnant, it gets better with every iOS version. 
    Which is weird (except for iOS 10 where the brain was moved onto the iDevice). You'd think the back-end would get refined and upgraded constantly over a year, not just be part of the yearly iOS update so that any new feature mentions are easily lost in a sea of iOS changes. I get an email every week from Amazon about new Alexa features and Skills… and I always read them, and I often try many of them. I wish Apple was more included to less us know when Siri is better and to remind us of the features it does have as I'm certain I tried things years ago that didn't work right so I dropped the command from my memory.
    propod
  • Reply 15 of 34
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    mac_128 said:

Do you have problem identifying objects you see each day, yeah we all may not know what title to the song or who may sing a song, but helping identify an objects. I would hope you know what are looking at.
    mejsric
  • Reply 16 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Make it safe first before adding gimmick, Samsung.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 34
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    maestro64 said:
    mac_128 said:

Do you have problem identifying objects you see each day, yeah we all may not know what title to the song or who may sing a song, but helping identify an objects. I would hope you know what are looking at.
    Pr0n? To see who is the actress?
  • Reply 18 of 34
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Apple has been widely rumored to invest a lot of RnD in visual Siri, in the form of Augmented Reality. My take is, Samsung is yet again jumping the shark if this is indeed true. Stealing Apple's ideas is not a new thing for Samsung, although most of the times they always ended up in half ass implementation. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 34
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,356member
    maestro64 said:
    mac_128 said:

This could be quite useful for Galaxy owners for identifying nearby fire extinguishers, large bodies of water, facial expressions indicating abject horror, escape routes, and emergency exit signs. They may want to add odor detection as well to correlate the visual indicators with the accompanying smell of burning clothing and flesh.
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 34
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    williamh said:
    Bixby, play "Light My Fire."

No Bixby, don't light my phone on fire. Play the song by The Doors.  

Couple of observations:

2) some of the features sound rather good. But wasn't OCR of text in an image part of some app on the early iPhones? I recall an app that would automatically translate on street signs, etc. I never had the app though.Where did that go?
    It's owned by Google, and now integrated with Google Translate rather than standalone.
    edited January 2017