Short-term Apple executive Yoky Matsuoka returns to Nest as CTO

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2017
Yoky Matsuoka, a leading expert in the fields of robotics and artificial intelligence, is returning to Alphabet's Nest Labs after serving less than nine months on the job at Apple, where she was in charge of various health-related projects including aspects of Apple Watch.

Matsuoka was rehired by Alphabet as chief technology officer at Nest, a position that assumes oversight of the firm's technology roadmap, reports Bloomberg.

In her new role, Matsuoka is responsible for ferreting out new hardware and software assets that enable Nest to better compete in the growing smart home device market, the report said. She will also be on the lookout for outside partnerships and potential internal collaborations with other Alphabet divisions.

Prior to her new post, Matsuoka was part of Apple's health technology team. Hired by the Cupertino tech giant in May 2016, she worked under COO Jeff Williams on various health-related initiatives, including HealthKit and Apple Watch, until her departure in December.

Matsuoka returns to Nest after a nearly two year absence. She was at the firm when former Apple executives Tony Fadell and Matt Rogers founded the startup in 2010, and spearheaded development of machine learning algorithms that power the Nest Learning Thermostat. Matsuoka left Nest shortly after it was acquired by Google in 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    I received this email from Google today:

Hello,

We are looking to service a select group of individuals with our innovative ​lifestyle​ optimization platform, by offering ​advanced testing, education and supplementation to aid in your fitness ​aspirations​. 

To take advantage of this opportunity simply fill out this brief ​quiz​ and ​you will be sent a gift card for your time​.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    Working for Google is probably more fun than working at Apple.
    williamlondonbrucemc
  • Reply 3 of 18
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    saltyzip said:
    Working for Google is probably more fun than working at Apple.
    Why is that?
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 18
    She got to come in, see what Apple had, then return to her bosses so they can rip it off. 
    Grimzahncalimejsricpscooter63SiSawatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Maybe as Nest CTO she can get somebody to explain why they refuse to implement HomeKit. 
    patchythepiratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 18
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

She is more of a thinker than a doer, Google seems to like dreamer and thinkers verse doers. This is the problem with Moon shot projects verse having to come up with ideas which make money today verse 10 or 20 yrs from now. It was probably a bad fit at Apple and thus the reason Google stuck her as the CTO of Nest. Maybe she can come up with ideas which may make money 10 yrs from now but for now nest has way too much competition in this space. I am personally looking at the Honeywell thermostat with Homekit integration. I personally would trust Honeywell to know how to make a thermostat than a bunch of software types.

aussiepaul
  • Reply 7 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I'm starting to think some people are rehired at Google to report on Apple.
    SiSawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 18
    maestro64 said:

She is more of a thinker than a doer, Google seems to like dreamer and thinkers verse doers. This is the problem with Moon shot projects verse having to come up with ideas which make money today verse 10 or 20 yrs from now. It was probably a bad fit at Apple and thus the reason Google stuck her as the CTO of Nest. Maybe she can come up with ideas which may make money 10 yrs from now but for now nest has way too much competition in this space. I am personally looking at the Honeywell thermostat with Homekit integration. I personally would trust Honeywell to know how to make a thermostat than a bunch of software types.

And yet it was the Nest that kicked the other players in the butt and got them innovating again. The old-school digital thermostats sucked horribly...it was the machine learning (oh god shoot me) and trend analysis and reporting and mobile app that made Nest stand head & shoulders over the status quo. I'm still using my v1, despite my google misgivings and annoyance for the lack of HomeKit.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    maestro64 said:

And yet it was the Nest that kicked the other players in the butt and got them innovating again. The old-school digital thermostats sucked horribly...it was the machine learning (oh god shoot me) and trend analysis and reporting and mobile app that made Nest stand head & shoulders over the status quo. I'm still using my v1, despite my google misgivings and annoyance for the lack of HomeKit.
    My cliché-alert and buzzword-phobic antennae do not quiver at "machine learning." I think it's a useful concept for the time being. 

When Samsung starts to use it in their ads, we'll have to take your approach, only on their ad agency.
    pscooter63StrangeDays
  • Reply 10 of 18
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

NY1822 said:

Hello,

We are looking to service a select group of individuals with our innovative ​lifestyle​ optimization platform, by offering ​advanced testing, education and supplementation to aid in your fitness ​aspirations​. 

To take advantage of this opportunity simply fill out this brief ​quiz​ and ​you will be sent a gift card for your time​.
    Ominous. I would stick that one on my refrigerator under the Brave New World/1984 category. 

"Lifestyle optimization" indeed. I remember when life was taken more seriously, and we didn't know the word "lifestyle." This was before yuppies appeared on the planet, before yoga and smoothies.

Only people like Time magazine journalists in the 60s started using terms like lifestyle, e.g., "the hippie lifestyle," borrowed from anthropology. Then there appeared Sunday newspaper suppliments called Lifestyles. To my surprise, 80s people started thinking they had lifestyles instead of lives. We were then on our way to today's selfiehood.
    pscooter63mtefreJanNL
  • Reply 11 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    flaneur said:

NY1822 said:

Hello,

Ominous. I would stick that one on my refrigerator under the Brave New World/1984 category. 

"Lifestyle optimization" indeed. I remember when life was taken more seriously, and we didn't know the word "lifestyle." This was before yuppies appeared on the planet, before yoga and smoothies.

Only people like Time magazine journalists in the 60s started using terms like lifestyle, e.g., "the hippie lifestyle," borrowed from anthropology. Then there appeared Sunday newspaper suppliments called Lifestyles. To my surprise, 80s people started thinking they had lifestyles instead of lives. We were then on our way to today's selfiehood.
    Smoothies and yoga existed hundreds of years ago.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    All hands, abandon ship!

There has been a bit of turn over lately.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    All hands, abandon ship!

There is always a turnover at every massive company, but only folk leaving Apple gives the page clicks. 

I'm leaving the company I work for after in seven months. Nothing wrong with the company; we just weren't suited. 
    aussiepaulStrangeDays
  • Reply 14 of 18
    flaneur said:

NY1822 said:

Hello,

Spot on!
  • Reply 15 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    All hands, abandon ship!

Nah, it's just confirmation bias. We don't hear about all the turn over at all the SV players, which surely happens weekly...but two of three people from Apple and it's panic time. Nah. Turnover happens because humans.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    maestro64 said:

Yes, except you can trust Honeywell to support that thermostat for decades, whereas Nest will obsolete it on a whim. This is why I would only consider IoT products from companies with track records, like Lutron, Honeywell, etc.  
  • Reply 17 of 18
    She got to come in, see what Apple had, then return to her bosses so they can rip it off. 
    Yes, 9 months seems awfully short. Unless she made a dreadful mistake about culture or personalities or some-such it certainly feels like a lack of application at the least. I trust that some garden-leave features in her contract because, even if she tries hard, some things are going to leak back.