Google Maps for iOS gets real-time 'Popular Times' in latest update

Posted:
in iPhone
Google on Wednesday updated its Google Maps iOS app with live "Popular Times" integration, a tool that lets users see how crowded a particular location is in real time, and automatic recognition of addresses in clipboard.

Though Popular Times has been available through Google's web search and maps clients since 2015 -- and subsequently iOS app -- the latest Google Maps update, version 4.27, marks the introduction of live data results to iOS.

When it launched nearly two years ago, Popular Times leveraged anonymized mobile positioning data to give users a glimpse at a particular location's average foot traffic throughout the day. Armed with the information, visitors were able to plan trips accordingly, like avoiding historically busy times at a restaurant, for example.

Popular Times for the web was updated with a "Live" feature in November that rolls real-time smartphone location data into its crowd estimate algorithm, allowing more accurate and timely results. As noted in a blog post at the time, the addition of real-time data helps the tool account for special events, holiday traffic and other unforeseen situations.

Alongside live results, Popular Times in iOS lets users know the average time people spend at a given location.

The latest Google Maps update also supports quick access to addresses copied to a user's iOS clipboard. For example, when conducting a search in Google Maps users are presented an option to automatically fill the search bar with an address copied from Contacts or another app.

Finally, Google includes a number of unnamed bug fixes in today's release.

Google Maps version 4.27 is a free 103MB download from the iOS App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ss Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    i would like to know how/if google collets this info from apple uses?, is it only when google maps are open for iOS?, or does it get it from other apps?
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Apple maps needs this. 
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Thanks but no thanks.  Apple Maps is simply better.

Apple Maps features are more thoroughly implemented and with a much better user interface.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    zenmasterzenmaster Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Regardless of the privacy concerns this is an extremely convenient feature.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Looking past the privacy concerns, I really dig this feature! And wish Apple could implement something like this in Apple Maps.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    The interface of Google Maps looks really good but i don't like using it, thats why i mostly use Apple Maps.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    How is this data collected? From Android phones? From people using Google Now? I'm sensing Sen. Al Franken calling for an investigation.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    How is this data collected? From Android phones? From people using Google Now? I'm sensing Sen. Al Franken calling for an investigation.
    Yeah that must be it. Android. Apps can't know where you are, nor can maps. Who agrees to location sharing?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203033
    edited January 2017 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 9 of 16
    s said:
    i would like to know how/if google collets this info from apple uses?, is it only when google maps are open for iOS?, or does it get it from other apps?
    I think Google get this info from the same data used to estimate traffic on roads, because it is basically traffic on Point Of Interest.

• Reply 10 of 16
    I don't know if this is included in the iOS update but if so it does sound pretty useful.

"...when you're factoring how long it takes somewhere, you sometimes forget that parking your car is actually a part of the equation. This is especially an issue if you live in a giant metropolitan area, which is why Google has introduced a parking difficulty featurette to Maps.

Now when you look for directions or driving time to your Friday soiree, Maps will factor in the usual parking time in that particular area based on historical data. Unfortunately, the feature is only available in 25 areas right now. They are: San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Diego, St. Louis, Tampa, Washington, DC, Cleveland, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Houston, Phoenix, Portland, and Sacramento."

• Reply 11 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Yeah that must be it. Android. Apps can't know where you are, nor can maps. Who agrees to location sharing?
    Both Apple and Google use and collect location data. That's NOT the issue here. 

Google's information collection identifies the individual device with the intent to sell that data to advertisers. Apple does not attempt to identify the individual user in the same fashion. They are able to, but Apple does not sell my profile to others looking to profit off of me. 

I really don't care how useful Google makes their software or devices, I won't use them. 

Convenience is nice, but security is far more important. It is exactly why my home automation system is not connected online. It is secure the way it is. It would be convenient to control things online, but it would an invitation for a hacker to break into my system. I don't care if the lights get turned on. But I would be quite upset to find that someone cranked the thermostat up to the highest setting putting my home at risk of a fire. Or unlocking the doors. The convenience is simply not worth the security risk. 

I will forego the convenience of anything Google offers. Not worth it. Not by a long shot. They already have too much of a profile on me. But for the past three years, they have nothing and it's going to stay that way. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Both Apple and Google use and collect location data. That's NOT the issue here. 

Google's information collection identifies the individual device with the intent to sell that data to advertisers.
    Not correct, which I assume you knew when you wrote it. You seem to be fairly well-read. Google uses your (anonymised?) profile in-house, assisting with ad placement for companies like Apple, Lowe's and others to reach a bucket full of potential buyers similar to you. Your data is not sold off to the advertiser, who would have no idea who you personally are until you tell them via a transaction or inquiry you've initiated directly with them.

I can't imagine you were sowing intentional FUD so I'd guess you simply weren't being careful in the way you phrased it. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 13 of 16
    EvianEvian Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    Actually, in the iOS system settings for Google Maps there's an option to always share location—if this were checked they would receive this data if the app was being used or if it was active in the background.  Settings->Google Maps->Location
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    You're saying that Google is continuously recording your position, regardless of whether or not you're using one of their apps? Location sharing usually only happens when an app is running.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    You're saying that Google is continuously recording your position, regardless of whether or not you're using one of their apps?
    If you have location services on I would guess that your location is periodically logged. As for who is doing the logging it would depend on who is using your location "to improve services".  Personally I've found keeping location on personally benefits me, tho I've turned that permission off for specific apps that have no clear reason for it.
    edited January 2017