Arabic/Hebrew word processing in Jag?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
this was a mix of OSX and Software question, so I decided to put in General Discussion. Mods, file away as you see appropriate.

OK, so I can now browse sites in Arabic and Hebrew (not that I understand any of it... I'm trying this out for friend who is studying Arabic) and so therefore the FONTS are in the folder, and there is even the Keyboard layout for the most obscure languages. Heck, theres even a cool Character Palette you can choose.

Now, someone please tell WHY the hell I can't use Textedit to write in Arabic nor Hebrew?

I cannot even select these keyboard layouts.

There are a couple of Word processors I checked out (Nisus and Devalipi) but they are still Classic apps. Devalipi claims to be carbon, but it starts Classic up.

Is there anyway to hack OS X to be able to write in Arabic or Hebrew? I cannot select the fonts at all!!! WTF

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Strange. I'm sure i have seen a program of text editing that supported also hebrew, in version tracker.. something like 1 or 2 months ago! Now i went back to see what that application was called but i can't find it...

I think there was sombody looking for an application to write in hebrew, maybe in July??
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by ZO:

<strong>Now, someone please tell WHY the hell I can't use Textedit to write in Arabic nor Hebrew?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sounds mysterious to me, given that I can write Hebrew, Arabic, Yiddish, as well as Persian, in TextEdit on Jaguar.

There's one warning though: given that MacOS X handles bi-directionals differently than MacOS 9, some older fonts won't display proplerly, if you stick with the fonts provided with Jaguar, I think you wouldn't encounter such incopatibilities.

[quote]<strong>I cannot even select these keyboard layouts.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Are they absent from the Flag menu, or are they dimmed when you have Key Caps open?

They do remian dimmed under most applications, but they should work with TextEdit, ThinkFree Office, and of course Key Caps.

[quote]<strong>There are a couple of Word processors I checked out (Nisus and Devalipi) but they are still Classic apps. Devalipi claims to be carbon, but it starts Classic up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

ThikFree Office is Carbon-compliant, and does work with Hebrew (have yet to check for the Arabic and Persian, though).

While there are no Pashto, Urdu, or Uighur layouts, characters specific to those languages can be entered through the Character Palette, but that's not a practical way to write more than a few words.

[ 10-03-2002: Message edited by: Immanuel Goldstein ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    odd... works in Text Edit now. Thanks a bundle.

I'll check out ThinkFree Office.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    indeed great app, but sloooooooow. I wish MS Office would at least accept arabic/hebrew input :-/ grrrrr
  • Reply 5 of 6
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    How do you get it to work? I don't have any type of flag icon in my menubar. :confused:

edit: nevermind, I figured it out. Now, can I change the fonts?

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 6
    if you use TextEdit, switch to the keyboard layout you want (Arabic for example) then you can select the various Arabic fonts.

Thats the weird thing... you can select the specific font only if you have that keyboard selected. When in Arabic, you cant select 'latin/roman' fonts. In mid sentence, you have to switch to US (or whatever) and then select the normal font, etc etc

I hope text edit will get ability to write from right to left for these languages