Apple releases first macOS 10.12.4, iOS 10.3 betas for public testers, with 'find my AirPo...

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
After just two days in developer's hands, Apple has made the betas for iOS 10.3 and macOS 10.12.4 Sierra available for all registered in the public testing program.
The iOS 10.3 update will update the file structure on a installed device to Apple's new APFS, that was first revealed at the 2016 WWDC. Other changes include a new "Find My AirPods" ability, additions to Siri, CarPlay improvements, and some changes to Maps. APFS, the Apple File System, is "optimized for Flash/SSD storage, and engineered with encryption as a primary feature," according to an entry in the WWDC 2016 schedule. In official documentation, Apple adds that it uses a "unique copy-on-write design" with I/O coalescing, meant to optimize performance while staying reliable. Also added to iOS 10.3 is the ability for a user to "Find My AirPods." Opening the Find My iPhone app, users who have previously paired AirPods with an iOS or macOS device enrolled with iCloud will find a new AirPods option under the "My Devices" section. Unless the headphones are in use, Find My iPhone will show the headphone's last known position, as well as information when the positioning data was gathered. The biggest feature added to macOS 10.12.4 appears to be the implementation of NightShift. The betas closely follow Monday's updates to Apple's entire product line, with fixes implemented for GPU issues with the 2016 MacBook Pro, the first watchOS update since December's problematic release, and minor fixes to iOS and tvOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    So, I tried on my Mid 2009 MBP - it seems no nightshift.

• Reply 2 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I'm not surprised. Apple's implementation is probably reliant on newer hardware.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So, I tried on my Mid 2009 MBP - it seems no nightshift.

On an eight year old piece of hardware? Not likely.
    StrangeDaysMetriacanthosaurus
  • Reply 4 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Pretty sure you need a modern, retina-class display for this. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Well at least something with modern day graphics and CPU. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,280member
    But why? Isn't it just a different color profile? Why would you need a higher resolution to do that? 
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 7 of 12
    blastdoor said:
    But why? Isn't it just a different color profile? Why would you need a higher resolution to do that? 
    That's what I was asking myself as well. 
    Not saying Apple should support this machine to the fullest. Actually it's pretty cool I can get the latest OS to run on it. Still, I wonder what tech is required, as it runs flux just fine.  
    bloggerblog
  • Reply 8 of 12
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    I've been running F.lux, and it definitely has some issues with certain colours, particularly when playing video, such as Netflix. So I suspect there is a technical threshold that Apple wants to adhere to, and it's more than just a colour profile change.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 12
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    blastdoor said:
    i'm not suggesting it's the added resolution of the modern retina displays, but that retina-class displays meet the needed capabilities that older hardware doesnt. 
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 10 of 12
    FWIW

Nightshift working on my Late 2012 27" iMac
  • Reply 11 of 12
    2012 MBP HDD/DVD non-retina here. 10.12.4 runs NightShift. What it breaks is ARD administration. Client is newer than app, so no joy. Now in search of an ARD beta but I'm not betting on it.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    It works on my Mac mini late 2012, attached to an old Cinema Display 23" from 2005.