Apple updates Siri on iOS, Mac & Apple TV with Super Bowl-related commands

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2017
Apple on Monday announced a collection of Siri updates designed to get people using the AI assistant for Super Bowl LI, which will be played this Sunday between the Atlanta Falcons and the New England Patriots.

The main addition is support for live tune-in on the Apple TV by saying "Watch the Super Bowl." Live tune-in is normally app- or channel-specific, but in this case Siri should automatically find a compatible app and start streaming.

The best option for U.S. viewers is likely Fox Sports Go, which is streaming the complete game for free, including the high-budget national commercials that can draw in some non-fans.

Apple notes that users can ask basic questions -- like where the event's being held, and who's performing at halftime -- along with more complex queries about game statistics. Siri can even compare the stats of two different players.

Many of the promoted commands were already in Siri's vernacular, but Apple likely updated its integrated data where necessary for the big game.

Apple's Super Bowl preparations also include public transit directions for Houston, which may be especially important given road closures, parking fees, and the city's infamous congested traffic.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Great.
    Meanwhile; I couldn't get her to give me directions yesterday to a location 2 blocks away in NYC.
    Thanks for nothin'.
    Roger_Fingasking editor the gratecalizohaali146equality72521
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Siri, what is the ideal gas law?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Live Tune In is probably the most useful Siri feature that absolutely no one knows about.
    danuffcali
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Wow, SO useful for the rest of the planet I.e. THE MAJORITY of iOS owners who don't give a flying fuck about some stupid American sports event. 

''Yet we still can't skip or repeat a track on our AirPods without 10sec internet fetch? FFS...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Wow, SO useful for the rest of the planet I.e. THE MAJORITY of iOS owners who don't give a flying fuck about some stupid American sports event. 
    Note to Siri Team: If a planned feature is not useful to the majority of iOS users do not implement it. /s

Mentioned by Metriacanthosaurus, Live Tune In is a Siri feature that I know about and never use because I don't watch television. Does it make sense for me to denigrate it because I, personally, will not use it?  I don't think so.  The majority of iOS users also don't speak Dutch, should Apple just discontinue development for support of other languages?  I believe that anything that makes Siri stronger or more useful in general is a good thing, regardless of it's direct impact on me.
    bcodecaliequality72521
  • Reply 6 of 8

''Yet we still can't skip or repeat a track on our AirPods without 10sec internet fetch? FFS...

Considering the fact that Apple's major market is the US, that Apple is a US company and that the Super Bowl is a quintessential part of Americana, I'd say there are a lot of people who give a flying fuck.
    mike1
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Have not watched a down of football since Colin began his sideline protests and the team and league did nothing about it. Used to get about 15 hours a week out of me. Now ZERO.