Lyft for iPhone adds Calendar destinations, surges on App Store following 'DeleteUber' cam...

Posted:
in iPhone edited February 2017
Ridesharing service Lyft has updated its iPhone app with support for iOS Calendar destinations, apparently just in time to take advantage of a boycott of its main competitor, Uber, over the company's response to U.S. President Donald Trump's controversial immigration executive order.

Addresses from Calendar must have a complete address including a street, city, and zip code in order for the new feature to work. Once this is done, users can hit "Add from calendar" when picking a destination, and the app will let them select an upcoming event to go to.

While the option is currently limited to the native iOS Calendar app, Lyft noted that people using a third-party alternative like Google Calendar can still take advantage so long as it syncs data to iOS.

The company said it's also planning to add more saved shortcuts in the future, making it possible to route to places other than home or the workplace.

App Store surge

Lyft has climbed substantialy in App Store rankings since Friday, Jan. 27 -- when Trump instituted bans for several Muslim-majority countries -- rising from around 50th place into the top 10, TechCrunch observed. As of Tuesday morning it's sitting at #8.

As the weekend began, the New York Taxi Workers Alliance called on all drivers to stop picking up fares at JFK between 6 and 7 p.m. on Jan. 28, as a means of protesting Trump. Uber, however, coincidentally informed people that it had shut off surge pricing at the airport, and in an apology shared with TechCrunch said only that it wasn't trying to disrupt the protest.

Uber's failure to join in led to a "#DeleteUber" campaign on Twitter, spread further by celebrities like Rob Corddry, Taraji Henson, and Denis O'Hare. Some people objected not just to its response to the JFK incident, but CEO Travis Kalanick serving on Trump's economic advisory board. Some other people on that team include Tesla/SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, Disney CEO Bob Iger, and Walmart CEO Doug McMillon.

Lyft appears to be benefiting partly because it was quick to pledge $1 million to the American Civil Liberties Union over four years. Kalanick decried the travel ban on Sunday, and promised to set up a $3 million defense fund to help affected drivers, but apparently too late to affect App Store numbers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    I just downloaded Lyft.

I haven't deleted Uber yet, but if Lyft works as well or better then I certainly will. 

While I certainly like the service, Uber is a pretty scummy company. I've never liked them. I probably should have looked into Lyft a long time ago. 
    patchythepiratefrankietokyojimu
  • Reply 2 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Couldn't have happened to nicer people (Uber).

if only Lyft were in more places.
    edited January 2017 patchythepirate
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Don't really care either way and will still use uber, but glad people finally starting to understand how the free market is supposed to work rather then run to mommy and daddy (aka the government) and have them impose regulations and laws to force them to comply. If you don't like something then don't use it. 
    mike1
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Cool. I'll just keep Uber then.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 5 of 11
    frankiefrankie Posts: 381member
    Happily deleted Uber and using Lyft now instead!
    spice-boyblastdoortokyojimuappleric
  • Reply 6 of 11
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Don't really care either way and will still use uber, but glad people finally starting to understand how the free market is supposed to work rather then run to mommy and daddy (aka the government) and have them impose regulations and laws to force them to comply. If you don't like something then don't use it. 
    Mommy and Daddy are elected to office because they supposedly have taken the time and effort to educate themselves on issues that their constituents are facing. Leaving private industry to what ever is best for profits such as fight minimum wage, make employees work in unsafe conditions should not be belittled as such. 

The best weapon we have against policies that go against hard fought for protections is to vote with your wallet. Boycotts and even the threat of one gets the attention of those on the wrong side of our history and civil rights. Since most elected officials are only interested in retaining power we have to remind them and the rich corporate buddies that we still control their profits and we can destroy them if we are determined to do so.  
    Roger_FingasjSnivelyblastdoorlostkiwiappleric
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Seems like a rush to justice to me. People need to slow down and think a bit before clamoring for boycott, etc. JMHO
    Roger_FingasStrangeDayslostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Funny, I ditched Uber for Lyft about a month ago, basically because Uber as a company really gave me the heebie jeebies. I thought maybe it was just
    my own baggage, but after talking with a few drivers, the Lyft employees seem happier and the Lyft service is every bit as good as Uber. I was happy to say good bye. Interestiing to see about a month later others taking action.  Uber really needed a good swift kick in the pants, both on behalf of the drivers and the communities they serve. I doubt they'll change much, but if they decide to stick to their guns, we're free to keep not using them. I hate the idea of "voting with your wallet" as a political engine, but I feel pretty good about giving Uber the metaphorical middle finger in this case. 
    applericwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    The DeleteUber people are clueless. If you wanted to support the Taxi alliance, why aren't you using taxis? People still needed to get to and from the airport. Uber decided not to capitalize on the higher demand like they've done before on natural disasters and such.
    edited January 2017 lostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 11
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    jungmark said:
    The DeleteUber people are clueless. If you wanted to support the Taxi alliance, why aren't you using taxis? People still needed to get to and from the airport. Uber decided not to capitalize on the higher demand like they've done before on natural disasters and such.
    In my case it has nothing to do with Taxis -- I'm not fan of Taxis. 
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 11 of 11
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    it's kind of silly to expect people arriving into town to not be able to take an uber somewhere because trump. if the protesters wanted to do that fine, but i dont see the sense in trying to punish uber for not thinking its a good idea. I'm a traveler, i just want to hail my ride without politics.
    lostkiwiSpamSandwich