Apple CEO Tim Cook to receive honorary degree, give 'fireside chat' at University of Glasg...

Posted:
in General Discussion
The University of Glasgow will award Apple CEO Tim Cook next Wednesday with an honorary doctorate of science, as well as host a "fireside chat" open to students, staff, and alumni, the Scottish institution announced on Friday.

Tickets for the chat are already sold out, according to an official Eventbrite page. The event is scheduled to run for an hour at Bute Hall, starting "promptly" at 6 p.m. local time.

The page praises Cook for shepherding "innovative new products and services," as well as charitable donations by workers, and a move towards using renewable energy to power Apple's offices, stores, and data centers.

It also highlights Cook and Apple's regular leading positions in Fortune rankings, and Cook's personal awards from the Human Rights Campaign and the Robert F. Kennedy Center for Justice & Human Rights. Recently the CEO won a "Free Expression Award" from the Newseum, a museum and advocacy group based in Washington, D.C.

The CEO has received honorary degrees in the past, namely from George Washington University. His regular degrees include one in industrial engineering from Auburn University in Alabama, and an MBA from Duke University in North Carolina.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    How cool! I'm actually planning a trip to visit the campus in April.  My daughter was accepted to the school.
    edited February 2017 watto_cobraRayz2016
  • Reply 2 of 6
    glynhglynh Posts: 133member
    Taking nothing away from Tim Cook here but I am assuming a 'fireside chat' will entail him appearing in person?

Strange then that in the story directly above Apple has declined to attend a meeting in Ireland about the proposed €14bn backdated tax issue?

i can't help thinking it would be more advantageous to attend the latter rather then the former! :)
  • Reply 3 of 6
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Maybe this is why he couldn't make the Irish tax meeting!  :p
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    williamh said:
    How cool! I'm actually planning a trip to visit the campus in April.  My daughter was accepted to the school.
    Then your daughter is one smart cookie. Well done to her!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    glynh said:
    Taking nothing away from Tim Cook here but I am assuming a 'fireside chat' will entail him appearing in person?

Strange then that in the story directly above Apple has declined to attend a meeting in Ireland about the proposed €14bn backdated tax issue?

i can't help thinking it would be more advantageous to attend the latter rather then the former! :)
    I disagree. 

The case is between the EU and the Irish government. Both parties including how the deal was structured, so it is really up to them to sort out. 

Apple has already factored the €14billion into their accounts so the loss isn't really going to affect them because, as far as their finance department is concerned, the money has already gone.