W1-equipped BeatsX headphones begin arriving in NYC Apple stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2017
After months of delays, Apple's new BeatsX headphones are now available in limited quantities, showing as "in stock" at just a few of the company's retail stores in Manhattan.

As of Monday morning, pairs of BeatsX could be found at Apple's Upper West Side and Upper East Side stores. Availability also displayed briefly for the West 14th Street store, but went out of stock almost immediately --?it is unclear whether it was an error or if the headphones sold out.

The BeatsX headphones were first announced alongside the iPhone 7 last September. Since then, they have been hit with a number of delays, making them the last W1-equipped headphones announced by the company to find their way into the hands of consumers.

The first W1 headphones on the market were the Beats Solo3 Wireless, followed by the Powerbeats 3. And after their own delays, Apple's AirPods launched in late 2016, but remain difficult to purchase with demand outweighing supply.

The W1 chip found in the foursome of headphones simplifies wireless Bluetooth pairing, automatically prompting users to connect via their iPhone, and sharing the pairing data with other iCloud-connected accessories. The proprietary W1 chip also improves connectivity and range over standard Bluetooth.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Any word on audio quality? 
    welshdog
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Going to venture out on a limb to say if you don't like the Beats house sound, the BeatsX won't offer much aside from being a set of W1 tethered earbuds...
    williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 6
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    212Tam said:
    Going to venture out on a limb to say if you don't like the Beats house sound, the BeatsX won't offer much aside from being a set of W1 tethered earbuds...
    And Lightning compatibility ...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    212Tam said:
    That's a very thin limb considering you've never used them.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 6
    They werent there.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    flydog said:
    212Tam said:
    That's a very thin limb considering you've never used them.

I've tried numerous Beats products but never actually purchased them for a simple reason - overly emphasized midbass, suppressed midrange and rolled back treble. This is a type of sound that appeals to the mass market, I get it, but it's not something I go for.

I do find W1 wireless headphones interesting because until now, the majority of bluetooth wireless headphones/earphones I tried are frustratingly unreliable... and their audio quality is abysmal.

• Beats Solo3 Wireless - don't want over-ears for portability reasons. I have a set of Sennheiser HD580s for listening at home.

• Powerbeats - don't need or want earhooks...

I eagerly look forward to Feb.10 when the BeatsX becomes available. I will try these because I like the form factor and all reports indicate the W1 delivers the promised reliability of connection that so far has been missing. However, I would not be surprised if I end up returning them.

So that brings me back to my original statement - *if you don't like the Beats house sound, the BeatsX won't offer much aside from being a set of W1 tethered earbuds...*

edited February 2017