Apple Music's Jimmy Iovine talks joining Apple, intersection of tech and music

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A new interview with Apple Music executive Jimmy Iovine discusses what led the executive to join the Apple Music project and the challenging times ahead for both streaming services, and the recording industry.

Published by entertainment industry trade paper Variety, the interview discusses Iovine's past in great detail, and only touches on Apple Music's past and present, and the music industry's future.

"When I first met Steve [Jobs] and Eddy [Cue] in 2003, I said, 'These guys should have an entertainment company,'" said Iovine. "They had all these technologies and these entertainment companies, but they couldn't put it all together. Apple, of all the global tech companies, was the one that understood why artists make things."

More than 11 years later, Iovine joined Apple. He came along with the $3 billion Beats buy that brought the audio company's stable of hardware and a nascent streaming service struggling with unprofitable popularity along with it.

"We were never going to be able to scale [Beats Music], because the business model was very difficult, and still is. I didn't think I could have finished it on my own," said Iovine regarding Apple's Beats buy. "We knew exactly what we were doing, meaning that [joining Apple] is the outcome we wanted."

Streaming video as part of Apple Music

"We're trying to make the music service a cultural point of reference, and that's why we're making video," Iovine said, when asked about video offerings from Apple in the future. "We're making video for our Apple Music customers and our future customers."

Iovine shed little light on future plans, and when asked if Apple intends to take on Netflix of Amazon with unique programming, he redirected the question.

"I wouldn't put it that way. When I read that, or I read that we're taking on whomever, I say no," Iovine retorted. "To me it's all one thing. It's Apple Music, and it happens to have video and audio. ... It has nothing to do with what Netflix is doing."

Dr. Dre's partnership with Iovine extends beyond Beats. The pair have known each other for years, and the migration to Apple Music was a natural progression.

"Dre's purpose in life is to come up with something that moves the needle. He's done that really seriously a bunch of times. And now he's experimenting with video," Iovine said of the "Vital Signs" semi-biographical series set to appear on Apple Music at some point. "And what he does will be unique, and he will get there. My responsibility to Apple and to him is to put him in that position where he can."

The future of music

"Right now there's a lot of fear in the record business, and the corporations should make it so the labels can relax a bit and be more adventurous," suggested Iovine. "When the businesses are leveling out or going down, and you're still asking for growth, you don't have to be a mathematician to know what happens."

"Big tech companies are buying up entertainment companies," Iovine claims. "But someone at these companies has got to speak both languages, or it's never going to work."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Is Apple really speaking both languages, I wonder. In iPod times that was easier to believe, as it was still a company that was somehow creating the image of a bunch of artists - even the tech guys. Compared to today's image of why people call a "bean counter" opening up his wallet to experiment with music/video by the sheer amount of cash they can throw at it and backed by the very big user base. 
    Ok, that's a pretty negative picture and I cannot provide hard data to back it up. 
    Just it somehow captures my spontaneous thought when reading it. 
    Im not saying Apple is doing is wrong. Or is not successful. Im just asking whether they speak both languages. Still. 
  • Reply 2 of 7
    One thing that still bothers me is the naming conventions Apple initially uses and then those products morph into something else. iTunes for example was just for music so it made sense. Then it moved into video and apps for iDevices, so having to use a product called "iTunes" to buy/rent videos and manage content on a mobile device seems weird. Now they're doing it with Apple Music - adding video. Does anyone else think that seems weird? Seems like they need a product rename if they go down that road...
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 7
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tbehunin said:
    One thing that still bothers me is the naming conventions Apple initially uses and then those products morph into something else. iTunes for example was just for music so it made sense. Then it moved into video and apps for iDevices, so having to use a product called "iTunes" to buy/rent videos and manage content on a mobile device seems weird. Now they're doing it with Apple Music - adding video. Does anyone else think that seems weird? Seems like they need a product rename if they go down that road...
    YES! It bothers me too. I've always thought iStore with iTunes, Movies, iBooks, apps and even hardware under one app would be cool and simplify the experience.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    cali said:
    tbehunin said:
    YES! It bothers me too. I've always thought iStore with iTunes, Movies, iBooks, apps and even hardware under one app would be cool and simplify the experience.
    When Apple bought Beats I thought it was an opportunity to lose the iTunes name. I thought Beats was so much better. 
  • Reply 5 of 7
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I may get downvoted into oblivion, but.......

Someone please shut Jimmy Iovine's month. Every time, Every single interview, start with Steve Jobs. 
    For Christ sake Steve DIDN't ALLOW HIM to be in his company in his time. And possibly for a REASON, because he has the biggest pile of bull shit ever.

Jimmy Iovine talks about MUSIC as if it was the most important factor, no it is NOT, it is the Users!. He is trying to make users Adopt to Apple's music ( his ) ideology.

And it is the Reason why Apple Music is the biggest pile of crap, its UX sucks. ( Though it has been improved in v2, the whole UI and flow still smells of 
    Jimmy Iovine  ) First time i thought i would say it for an Apple Product. There are other alternative that are better, but Apple Music simply got the loyal Apple user following. 

And My guess is Steve Jobs simply dont want somebody to Dictate how he should use and listen to his Music. This is what i got pissed with Jimmy Iovine.

And now even with Video? I mean Come ON, It doesn't even have MTV for most if its Music.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    ksec said:
    I may get downvoted into oblivion, but.......

Someone please shut Jimmy Iovine's month. Every time, Every single interview, start with Steve Jobs. 
    For Christ sake Steve DIDN't ALLOW HIM to be in his company in his time. And possibly for a REASON, because he has the biggest pile of bull shit ever.

Jimmy Iovine talks about MUSIC as if it was the most important factor, no it is NOT, it is the Users!. He is trying to make users Adopt to Apple's music ( his ) ideology.

And it is the Reason why Apple Music is the biggest pile of crap, its UX sucks. ( Though it has been improved in v2, the whole UI and flow still smells of Jimmy Iovine  ) First time i thought i would say it for an Apple Product. There are other alternative that are better, but Apple Music simply got the loyal Apple user following. 

And My guess is Steve Jobs simply dont want somebody to Dictate how he should use and listen to his Music. This is what i got pissed with Jimmy Iovine.

And now even with Video? I mean Come ON, It doesn't even have MTV for most if its Music.
    There's no downvoting on the site anymore.