Nintendo president gaining confidence in iPhone gaming following big 'Mario,' 'Fire Emblem...

Posted:
in iPhone
Nintendo has latest mobile game, 'Fire Emblem: Heroes', has so far earned the game company $5 million dollars since its launch on February 2, Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima advised in an interview, with the Japanese firm increasing its confidence in producing apps for iOS and other platforms.

Speaking to Time, Kimishima explained the first three mobile titles to come out from the company are experiments with different aims. "Super Mario Run" and "Fire Emblem: Heroes" are being used by Nintendo to see how best to earn revenue from players, with each game taking wildly different approaches.

"Super Mario Run" had garnered 78 million downloads on iOS alone at the time of Nintendo's recent financial results, bringing in more than $53 million since its debut. Nintendo decided to avoid using typical free-to-play mechanics with the release, instead providing earlier levels for free, and requiring a $10 unlocking fee from players to access the rest of the game.

"With regards to how many people have paid money, we're hoping for more than 10 percent," said Kimishima. "While we haven't yet reached 10 percent, at this point we're somewhere north of halfway there."

In analysis of the player base, Kimishima notes that it was available in more than 150 countries, but the top 20 accounted for more than 90 percent of the revenue. "If we look further at the people who are paying for the game within those 20 countries, we're not at 10 percent, but the number is rising."

The relatively high unlocking charge is seen as a "viable way to do business," according to Kimishima. "I would also add that this is a new way of monetization and so not yet popular."

For "Fire Emblem: Heroes," which uses some free-to-play mechanics to generate revenue, Kimishima highlights the fact that downloads exceeded one million less than half a day after release, "and we're seeing revenue today at $5 million."

"We're experimenting with different types of monetization," suggests the company president over the two games. "As a result of these experiments with monetization styles, we're gaining what you might call confidence in our mobile business efforts."

"Miitomo," Nintendo's first mobile effort, was a different kind of experiment to the other two. "More than looking at profit, we were wondering if we could get people interested in Nintendo characters on their mobile devices, and the result is that we've seen a commensurate expansion in that interest."

Kimishima also spoke about Nintendo's three goals for its mobile business. The first is to use it to push the company's existing IP library to a new and large audience, one that may not have experienced Nintendo's ecosystem before.

"This is a great way to introduce them to our franchises and characters, and thereby bring them back to Nintendo's dedicated hardware as well as introduce them to Nintendo's expanded software library."

Secondly, Nintendo wants to make its mobile business a "pillar in and of itself," alongside its console hardware and gaming segments.

Lastly, "in the same way it worked for Pokemon," Kimishima wants to use mobile gaming to increase the sales of other titles that use the same characters. "In this way, we hope customers will purchase other related goods and services too. We want to use this synergy."

While it is busy preparing the launch of the Switch console in March, Nintendo has plans to expand its mobile gaming further, with the release of two or three iPhone games per year. Aside from this year's release of "Fire Emblem: Heroes," the arrival of "Super Mario Run" on Android, and the delayed launch of "Animal Crossing," Nintendo has yet to advise of any other future mobile games it expects to ship.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    I'm glad he's gaining confidence ... LOL ... I can't help but shake my head ... doesn't he realize Apple sells 34,000 iPhones an hour? I have a feeling the Switch is going to be another dud for Nintendo -- they are better off sticking to high margin software and exit the hardware business.
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 18
    "Huge success gives man confidence."
    TomSawyertallest skilSpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Fatman said:
    I'm glad he's gaining confidence ... LOL ... I can't help but shake my head ... doesn't he realize Apple sells 34,000 iPhones an hour? I have a feeling the Switch is going to be another dud for Nintendo -- they are better off sticking to high margin software and exit the hardware business.
    I'm sure he's done the math...  The question is why he's waited so long to 'experiment'.  He has to realize getting his software installed on a relatively small % of Apple/Android devices would greatly exceed the Nintendo devices.

Rather than putting out inferior hardware compared to the Xbox or Sony he should be working with Apple to upscale their environment.  Apple TV (etc.) + Nintendo software could actually be worth playing/using (+Switch?).

Nintendo wouldn't have that much competition (at the high end) on Apple devices.  99% of the games on Apple Store is junk or duplicate games with a face lift.  Everyone is looking for more quality, but few companies have the resources.  Nintendo has a huge opportunity here, unfortunately Nintendo's management has been living decades in the past.  It good they are finally figuring things out...

caliidrey
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I love reading the bleating from the idiot gallery. People calling for Nintendo to stop making hardware and put their games on other platforms are no different from the morons who want Apple to license out macOS or iOS. 
    TomSawyerboltsfan17tallest skilSpamSandwichLukeCage
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I love reading the bleating from the idiot gallery. People calling for Nintendo to stop making hardware and put their games on other platforms are no different from the morons who want Apple to license out macOS or iOS. 
    I feel the biggest issue with Nintendo is they are anti consumer. It's pretty obvious Nintendo purposely didn't make enough NES Classic Editions. The laundry list of excuses company officials made about the shortages are absurd. Nintendo did the same thing when the Wii first came out. It took over a year before there was a steady supply in stores. Other video game companies don't do that. Yes, there were PS4 shortages, but Sony replenished supply of the console rather quickly. Eventually people will stop caring about finding one of Nintendo's hardware systems and move on. The Switch will be no different. It really is pathetic it took so long for Nintendo to finally release a game on iOS. Bottom line, Nintendo needs new leadership. I seriously wish Apple would buy them out. 
  • Reply 6 of 18
    I am glad to see this. Even though it is obvious to most of us, the Japanese culture and the age of this man make it tough to let go of tradition and beliefs. I applaud Nintendo for wanting to reinvent the video game experience. However in this case it feels like they are trying to "Not go into mobile" with the switch versus "revolutionizing" the gaming experience. For me the writing is already on the wall. Not too many people will want another "iPad" to play only games on. We already have devices that can play games. Time for them to pump out quality games that are so desperately needed.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Next step, cut out the middleman and debut a Nintendo Phone. 
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Step 1, wait for the Switch to be released.
    Step 2, let it bomb.
    Step 3, wait for Nintendo to tank.
    Step 4, buy Nintendo.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    Nope. Big difference.

Apple makes world class hardware.
    Nintendo year after year makes the worse hardware in the industry since the N64 came out. Bottom line is Nintendo sucks ass in hardware.
    Careful, Apple TV can barely run hardware from Nintendo's 2006 Wii console.

Nintendo is bad ass in hardware they've invented almost every damn gaming input feature, they're the Apple of gaming. Xbox and PS stole a ton of their patents and inventions to be successful.

But like somone mentioned Nintendo seem to be anti-consumer and HATE money for some reason.

Apple buying Nintendo would be as big a deal as buying Disney. Would make a Netflix acquisition seem like a joke. 
  • Reply 10 of 18
    sog35 said:
    Nintendo year after year makes the worse hardware in the industry since the N64 came out. Bottom line is Nintendo sucks ass in hardware.
    Nintendo, like Apple, proves that it's not about the hardware being the best if the software is the best. Apple's hardware is nowhere near the best available. It's the package that makes it viable. Same with Nintendo properties.
    cali said:
    Nintendo is bad ass in hardware they've invented almost every damn gaming input feature…
    What didn't they invent, really? Everyone else stole everything they have from Nintendo.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Yup. 
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Fatman said:
    Actually I am eager to get my hand on Switch. Switch resolves dilemmas that Nintendo gamers facing:
    1. On Wii U, you can't take the game pad very far away from the main console. Switch solves that.
    2. Gamers still love the old style Wii remote. Switch solves that, too.
    3. Plus many others....

Switch = Wii U + Wii + 3DS
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 13 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Fatman said:
    I find the more impressive figure is 10 iPhones are sold per second. Impressive and sad lol.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I am glad to see this. Even though it is obvious to most of us, the Japanese culture and the age of this man make it tough to let go of tradition and beliefs. I applaud Nintendo for wanting to reinvent the video game experience. However in this case it feels like they are trying to "Not go into mobile" with the switch versus "revolutionizing" the gaming experience. For me the writing is already on the wall. Not too many people will want another "iPad" to play only games on. We already have devices that can play games. Time for them to pump out quality games that are so desperately needed.
    I would argue otherwise. I had a Sega Gamegear when I was a boy and took it everywhere. In my twenties I got a PSP and didn't play it much. I haven't had a portable since, thinking they were obsolete to iphone/ipad gaming as you do. I bought my son a 2DS this christmas past and he rarely touches his iPad since, I recently picked up a 3DS for myself to play 2-player with him and I now find myself playing it when he's not around. I almost took it to work with me today to play some Luigis Mansion on my lunch break. I probably wouldn't bother with that type of game on my iPhone. Still something to be said for a true portable gaming device imho.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    Switch = Wii U + Wii + 3DS
    - Battery life
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Fatman said:
    I'm sure he's done the math...  The question is why he's waited so long to 'experiment'.  He has to realize getting his software installed on a relatively small % of Apple/Android devices would greatly exceed the Nintendo devices.

Rather than putting out inferior hardware compared to the Xbox or Sony he should be working with Apple to upscale their environment.  Apple TV (etc.) + Nintendo software could actually be worth playing/using (+Switch?).

Nintendo wouldn't have that much competition (at the high end) on Apple devices.  99% of the games on Apple Store is junk or duplicate games with a face lift.  Everyone is looking for more quality, but few companies have the resources.  Nintendo has a huge opportunity here, unfortunately Nintendo's management has been living decades in the past.  It good they are finally figuring things out...

What Nintendo offers is difference if you really want superior hardware go get a gaming PC, the switch is poised to be a massive success. 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    cali said: Nintendo is bad ass in hardware they've invented almost every damn gaming input feature…
    What didn't they invent, really? Everyone else stole everything they have from Nintendo.
    I've been gaming since I procured an Atari VCS and have 14 consoles (most recent is Wii). I'm asking in all seriousness to alleviate my seeming ignorance: What did Nintendo invent?