LG UltraFine 5K Display shipments slip to 5 to 6 weeks as company updates hardware shieldi...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited February 2017
Shipping estimates for LG's UltraFine 5K Display, sold exclusively through Apple's retail network, have slipped to over a month as the Korean company issues updated hardware with better RF shielding.

Spotted by AppleInsider reader Matthew, Apple's online storefront is now listing LG UltraFine 5K Display availability at 5 to 6 weeks, with the monitor currently unavailable for pickup from many brick-and-mortar locations.

Though Apple has not made an official statement regarding the latest delay, UltraFine shipment times have been slipping since LG began retrofitting its hardware with better shielding earlier this week. The new hold up is believed to be related to those upgrades.

In late January, less than one month after LG's UltraFine 5K shipped out to early buyers, customers began to report frequent disconnections when using the monitor near certain Wi-Fi routers. After evaluating affected units, LG earlier this month narrowed the issue down to radio frequency interference and promised to include enhanced shielding in all models manufactured after February 2017.

Subsequent testing performed by AppleInsider sources revealed the shielding fix is indeed effective, as evaluators were unable to reproduce the reported disconnect problems.

Updated versions of the display with shielding pre-installed started to arrive at Apple stores this week, but supplies were initially constrained.

As for UltraFine 5K models already in circulation, customers experiencing issues will have to contact LG directly for a retrofit or replacement. Servicing is being handled on a case-by-case basis.

Introduced at Apple's MacBook Pro event last year, LG's UltraFine 5K Display is considered a replacement for the discontinued Thunderbolt Display. With a 5,120-by-2,880 resolution, P3 wide color gamut support and the ability to charge a MacBook Pro using the same Thunderbolt 3 cable used for video and data transfer, the display is the perfect accompaniment to Apple's laptop series.

The display went up for sale at an original price of $1,299.95, but is now being sold for $974 after Apple instituted a 25 percent "limited time" discount in November.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I honestly think if Apple did a display again, it would need to be UltraWide 34" display, curved. After using one, there is just NO going back. I love more than the 4k I had .. and I'm fairly certain after playing with the 5k, that my opinion wouldn't be any different..
    nubus
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Screw that petition, sue in class action if they don't setup a proper repair or exchange program for every single unit they sold (for upwards of $1200 with tax) after holding our order hostage for an indeterminate period of time while we sat with laptops that couldn't effectively output 60Hz above 1080p due to lack of adapters and competitive devices.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Screw that petition, sue in class action if they don't setup a proper repair or exchange program for every single unit they sold (for upwards of $1200 with tax) after holding our order hostage for an indeterminate period of time while we sat with laptops that couldn't effectively output 60Hz above 1080p due to lack of adapters and competitive devices.
    Really? Really.  I'm running a 34" LG UltraWide off of a Thunderbolt 2 adapter through an old Thunderbolt 2 hub and driving it at full speed. I'm not sure what adapters you're using, but this works great.  I don't think it's a problem with the 2016 MBP there.

Holding your order hostage? You ordered a product that was in high demand. Chill out. If you don't want to get hurt, don't ride the cutting edge of technology. Pretty simple.
    2old4fun
  • Reply 4 of 8
    A class action of people with working-fine displays who want a replacement because other people got lemons would never fly.  Likewise, if you order something and never try to cancel the order, your order isn't "held hostage."
    2old4fun
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jkichline said:
    Really? Really.  I'm running a 34" LG UltraWide off of a Thunderbolt 2 adapter through an old Thunderbolt 2 hub and driving it at full speed.
    Fail. "full speed" on those devices is only 48-60 Hz and while it's true they go higher than 1080p, it's only by an extra 360 horizontal lines (not "effective" --and probably not stable in that cable-chain either, lol); plus they're made by LG and it seems pretty obvious that Apple/LG didn't want (read: doesn't support) us to use those old models because they don't even sell a USB-C to DP adapter that runs in those frequency ranges. If you got it to work, the Apple Geniuses will congratulate you and smile, but the prescribed path was to buy one or more UltraFine monitors or be stuck with sub-60Hz performance (above 1080p) as per the adapters Apple does certify, sell and support. Good night.
    If you don't want to get hurt, don't ride the cutting edge of technology. Pretty simple.
    So we should bet on "an old Thunderbolt 2 hub"?
  • Reply 6 of 8

A class action of people with working-fine displays who want a replacement because other people got lemons would never fly.  Likewise, if you order something and never try to cancel the order, your order isn't "held hostage."
    Funny you should mention "fly" because RFi from low flying/landing jets or large trucks (including mobile COWS while at events) may trigger this problem that might not have otherwise warranted a "retrofit" under the current policy. Perhaps the TB3/RFI-induced crash occurs while MacOS is writing an encrypted disk buffer causing the index for all of the data on that volume to become lost. Perhaps one would then lick their wounds, reformat and attempt to restore from TimeMachine only to discover that a prior such event had corrupted files in the backup?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Bring a brand new Apple Thunderbolt Display 24-inch sporting Thunderbolt 3 (40 Gbps) and USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps) ports. Together with a brand new Mac Pro for it.
  • Reply 8 of 8

Funny you should mention "fly" because RFi from low flying/landing jets or large trucks (including mobile COWS while at events) may trigger this problem that might not have otherwise warranted a "retrofit" under the current policy. Perhaps the TB3/RFI-induced crash occurs while MacOS is writing an encrypted disk buffer causing the index for all of the data on that volume to become lost. Perhaps one would then lick their wounds, reformat and attempt to restore from TimeMachine only to discover that a prior such event had corrupted files in the backup?

I don't know what a mobile COWS is (aren't all cows mobile).

My point (which I didn't actually make) was that if only certain monitors have defective shielding, only those monitors should be fixed via a recall.  But I agree with you, if there is a systemic defect in all monitors they should all be fixed.